Bathroom reno questions

Hi All,

I am renovating the bathroom of my first ever IP (Girraween, Sydney). It is quite a small one (3.6m by 2.4 m) and the existing usage of space is not that great. As you can see from the pics, there is not much space. The shower part (blue tiled) is the worst. It is a tiled (720 X 850) bath (not an actual bath tub) which can only be used as a shower.

I am in process of renovating it. These are things I have planned:

- Moving the vanity (new one) to the left wall
- Adding a mirror cabinet.
- Moving the toilet (new one) to the right wall.
- Removing existing tiled bath and putting a 1525 X 700 bath with shower frame, so that it doubles as a shower.
- Remove existing wall tiles and put new ones.
- Changes all the tap fittings
- New powerpoints
- Waterproofing

I have been quoted $3600 for the labour. I will be supplying the bath, toilet, vanity, tiles and tapware.

Questions:

- Am I doing it right?
- Does the quote sound reasonable?
- Does any one know places where can I buy the "bath, toilet, tiles and tapware" for a bargain price. I already have the Vanity and mirrored cabinet.
- What sort of tiles (color and size) will look good relative to the existing floor tiles, which I am not changing?

I have to reply the guy today so that he can start the work this weekend. So, please reply as soon as possible.

Attachments

• bathroom.jpg
    bathroom.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 244
  • bathroom2.jpg
    bathroom2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
In answer to parts of your questions,
Yes the quote seems accurate.
I would however give very serious consideration to changing the floor tiles, they really date the bathroom. Go for large tiles up to ceiling if possible. Use the same white/off white tiles throughout. If the budget permits use a frameless shower screen.
I personally wouldn't bother with a bath however it does depend on you target tenants.
Given that you are removing wall tiles have you considered recessing the cabinet or making feature alcoves in the walls?
A.

I would however give very serious consideration to changing the floor tiles, they really date the bathroom.

I asked the tradesman and he was quoting a big amount for that.

I personally wouldn't bother with a bath

I read through some threads on SS and most of them were in favour of having a bath for a rental property. It keeps the property open to families with young children.

That price sounds okay to me. I would definitely change the floor tiles. Painting them would be next best, but they definitely date the bathroom.

Is that a sunken bath. We have an IP with one of these. Very uncommon in Queensland. We will be gutting this hideous bathroom in January, sheeting the floor so the sunken bath goes. It is rather interesting, but pretty dangerous.

it looks like a Roman bath - my grandparents had one and I used to cringe that anyone would sit on the tiles for a bath.

Basically all it was was extra high sides on the shower bottom.

Last couple of reno's we have bought the bath and taps at Bunnings and we buy the tiles at TFO (large white ones 600x300 and floor tiles for $5 pm:eek::D they were seconds but I managed to work with them)

We also bought most recent toilet at Osman's at Auburn. Normally, also buy frame less bath screens via them.

I continually compare prices and will substitute suppliers as required. Get a few leads as to who is selling at a discount via Ebay, Gumtree and trading post (very little these days).

As other's have mentioned I would rip up those floor tiles and retile. You can save some money if you can get them up without removing the sand/cement bed that they were laid on. Last bathroom just finished we managed to save this bed which save heaps of work and money. Alternatively get them to tile over the floor tiles.

Whatever you do, don't paint the floor tiles as the paint will not last and it will look sad and sorry in next to no time, spoiling all the other good work.

Hard to comment on the quote as you have only included what you want rather than what they put on the quote. The two may not reconcile.:eek:

Things like what are they water proofing how are they intending to work with your tiled floor. Have they included core drilling the holes in the floor for the new plumbing or are they just going to smash their way through etc

Cheers

Does the drain for the vanity still fit under the vanity when it is moved> Otherwise how will they patch the floor?

seems a shame to have a new bathroom with an old floor.

Can you do the rip out yourself to save money and spend that money on the floor tiles?

This what I did with a similar bathroom recently.

Moved things around totally.

Your labour quote seems about what I'd expect, hence why I did this one myself!

Attachments

• DSCF0329.jpg
    DSCF0329.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 193
  • sDSCF0500.jpg
    sDSCF0500.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCF0709.jpg
    DSCF0709.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 205
I run a plumbing business and look after a lot of rental properties for agents. I see no problem with the quoted price as you are moving the waste and water points for the toilet and vanity.
As it is going to be an IP, I would leave the vanity and toilet in the same place. The money saved on plumbing labour would pay for the new floor tiling. A new vanity, toilet, combination bath/shower and all new tiles would make a huge difference. A mirror cabinet will not get you any extra rent and is just another fixture that will suffer wear and tear.
IMHO Keep it simple.

This what I did with a similar bathroom recently.

Moved things around totally.

Your labour quote seems about what I'd expect, hence why I did this one myself!

What sort of flooring did you have in that bathroom? It looks like it was vinyl on top of wood.

I suspect he original poster floor is concrete.

Cheers

I suspect he original poster floor is concrete.

Cheers

Yes, it is. And I have now asked the tradesmen to change the floor tiles too. Costs me $800 extra. But, it is for good as I too was worried about the ugly holes when the vanity and toilet are moved from the original places.

I had a look at osman's, but found a bit expensive than some others. I stumbled on this one "http://www.angeltouchbathrooms.com.au/" and so far found to be the cheapest for Bath tub and toilet suite.

Regarding the tiles, TFO seems to be the cheapest till now.

Yes, it is. And I have now asked the tradesmen to change the floor tiles too. Costs me $800 extra. But, it is for good as I too was worried about the ugly holes when the vanity and toilet are moved from the original places.

Probably the best $800 you can spend. Honestly. Would love to see the "after" photos when it is done.

Probably the best $800 you can spend. Honestly. Would love to see the "after" photos when it is done.

You bet! I have taken a lot of 'before' photos and cant wait for it to finish for 'after' photos. The guys started today already !!!

I had a look at osman's, but found a bit expensive than some others. I stumbled on this one "http://www.angeltouchbathrooms.com.au/" and so far found to be the cheapest for Bath tub and toilet suite.

Regarding the tiles, TFO seems to be the cheapest till now.

I will put angel touch on my list to check;)

Good luck with the reno

Cheers

Just a quick question before I go off ordering the bath.
Is 1500L X 700W X 420mmD bath good enough?

Last edited:
Back