Matching up old floorboards

I have approx 100yr old Baltic pine flooring, which has never been sanded. There is a sizable section (around 50metres) that needs to be added (was old fireplace) and I need to match in.
I have staggered the joints and am ready to add the flooring.
In the past for small sections I have bought recycled flooring to match.
But considering the recycled price is around $10-15/m compared to the same flooring new around $4-5/m, I was wondering if I could just add new baltic pine flooring to the spot.
Hopefully when I sand both the old and new together, and add a stain (rather than clear finish), they should blend in well.
Has anyone tried this? Is it going to be a horrendous match, or ok? The guy at the woodyard suggested it, but I'm suspicious...
Cheers,

Dan

If you want the best result, rip up all the boards in the area nominated and relay second hand, this is theonly way you will be happy with the finished product

Use the other boards in a smaller rea say laundry, bathroom

I guess you knew the answer before you posted

Dan
Is there somewhere else in the house ie inside built in robes you could remove some boards and use them in the area you have to match.I have personally used new baltic pine in amongst old boards the trick is to stain the new boards to match the old ones then apply a coat of sealer to the old boards only. then two coats of clear polyurethane over the lot.
layer181

Fredo : thanks, yeh thats what I planned to do anyway, just that the guy I spoke to was adamant it would be fine with new boards (and at roughly 1/3rd the price)

Layer181: thanks for the staining tip...I'm basically reno'ing a dump, have totally guttered the house... All the boards that are present will be used..the bits I am adding there were no previous boards or any flooring as such, I placed new bearers over the bluestone slab to support the new floor, the only areas I have cut out are damaged boards, and stagger joints where I will be joining up (to avoid the straight line patch-up look)
The old boards have never been sanded or anything before..

Dan,
i have used this method several times go with the new timber
after you lay and sand the surface area,then what i do is bleach the entire floor with ocilic acid leave overnight this seems to blend all the timber as one.Then the next day apply the 2 pac and let it cure,maybe do a test run on the old timber with new bleach both and see before hand if it works for you..
good luck
willair..

Hey Dan,
You will never be truly happy trying to match as it will always be noticable.
If you do not want to re-lay the entire room, you could try this-
Rather than stagger the joins, cut them dead straight over a joist.
Lay a totally different coloured floor board against the grain so to speak, then begin laying new baltic floor boards in the original direction again.

If you are handy, you could rip down 2 ten mm strips of say Jarrah and biscuit join them to a new floorboard. Again lay this one in the opposite direction to the rest, and then continue on with the new.

Sometimes things can't be hidden and nothing looks worse than an attempt to do so.
In these situations i tend to accentuate the differences.

Good luck

Gecho

Back