material behind kitchen tiles- not asbestos cement sheet is it??

Took off the kitchen splashback tiles and behind them was a material/sheeting that looked like many pieces of thick gray cardboard paper stuck together with some fiber sticking out. Easy to peel off into separate layers. It looks like flattened egg carton layers stuck together. I think this is just good old plasterboard but wanted to know what you guys thought. This material goes straight on to (real) bricks. I estimate it to be about 2-3mm thick when not disturbed.

It can't be cement sheet can it? Just plasterboard? Cos I thought cement sheet would be harder and can't be "peeled" into layers. But I thought one needed to have cement sheeting behind splash tiles?

other (possibly) relevant information
Property built in 1983
Sheeting behind bathroom wall tiles labelled asbestos free hardiflex, but this sheeting was much harder and brittle compared with the material behind the kitchen tiles

Thanks.

Last edited:
I would treat it like asbestos if you aren't sure,make sure you wear a mask,spray it with a fine mist of water as you handle it,place it in thick black plastic garbage bag,

You cant be to careful,what does it cost,nothing :rolleyes:

I Laid (watched) Carpet in some units, and Andersons stated the backing under old lino (or the before lino mat that lino is laid upon) was absestos filled. As per painter's comment. Always treat it as Absestos. No turning back once that enters your lungs!

Last edited:
Thanks for reply so far.

So what is the material called? Is it a cement sheet or plasterboard or tile backing board?

if it peels into layers its very doubtful to be asbestos fibro ,probably some composite made in the days ,still treat it like asbestos to be on the safe side

Be sure stay away from that before you know what it is. Asbestos causes serious illnesses, including malignant lung cancer, mesothelioma (a formerly rare cancer strongly associated with exposure to amphibole asbestos).

thank you all

Thank you everyone for reading and responding to my post. I appreciate the your time.

It was cement sheet according to my builder, but thankfully it was

ASBESTOS FREE!

Very relieved now.

Back