Tiling a splashback

Hi guys just a quick question to all the people that have renovated a kitchen lately (seems like everyone is doing it at the moment).

I am looking at tiling the splashback with 300 x 600 mm tiles, I have removed the old tiles and of course some of the tile adhesive has stayed stuck to the plasterboard, the question is what have other people done?

Did you replace the plaster sheet and then tile onto the plaster?
Put up a cement sheet over the existing plaster (after removing a lot of the tile cement) and then tile onto that?

Or are there any other ways of doing this?

Thanks in advance
Chris

With tiles that size a thick bed adhesive can be used. This will give the extra depth needed to get over the old adhesive.

Gerd

You can use a hammer and chisel, or an angle grinder to get rid of the more prominent bits, otherwise just apply a thicker layer of the new adhesive straight over the old.

The only problem you may have is the tiles will slip a little due to the extra glue, but you'll be using spacers, so this should keep them in place.

scrape off as much of the old glue as you can and then tile straight over the existing gyprock. Don't be too fussy about getting a perfectly smooth surface as as you'll have a thick bed of glue on your new tiles anyway. Make sure you use a wedge or spacer under the tiles so they don't sit hard on the benchtop and silicon this join later (don't grout this join).

The important aspect of building up the adhesive.

An adhesive that is not formulated for thick bed application will shrink as it cures ( they cure due to evaporation ).

Most premixed, one pot adhesives will shrink if built up to much.
The result will be either tiles coming loose after a short time or uneven tiled surface as some of the tiles will shrink back more than others.

Gerd

Thanks guys, I think I will just stick the tiles over the existing adhesive, after removing most of it with a chisel then build up a thicker than normal bed.

The important aspect of building up the adhesive.

An adhesive that is not formulated for thick bed application will shrink as it cures ( they cure due to evaporation ).

Most premixed, one pot adhesives will shrink if built up to much.
The result will be either tiles coming loose after a short time or uneven tiled surface as some of the tiles will shrink back more than others.

Gerd
Hi Gerd

Which adhesives can then be used for a thick bed application? I believe that with this sized tile you need to use a 10mm notched spreader.

Cheers

Back