Melbourne bigger than Sydney???

Population growth in Melbourne was nearly double that of the harbour city and if relative growth rates continues, Melbourne would overtake Sydney in 2028, the KPMG Population Report said.

Only 20 years to go if nothing changes.........:cool:

And, as I'm sure you're all aware, bigger isn't always better! :eek:

Sydney will still have the harbour and beaches and be the defacto capital city of Australia. More Beautiful, IMHO is better than bigger... ;)

Oh, and I'll believe it when I see it. Those long-term projections based on short term trends are always misleading. A bit like extrapolating last year's property gains for the next 50 years. It simply doesn't work that way. Swings and roundabouts is how the world works.

Cheers,
Michael.

hehe .. wat a funny article..

using current growth rates, and predicting the future purely based on those..

Syd has had huge outflows post residential boom due to the comparative cost of living. However, now with things starting to even out next few yrs things may start reversing. Exception is if we have a recession or a substantial slow down.. Syd being the most global feels the effects more than others..

But for the longer future, Syd has already cemented its position within australia. These days its the financial centres that matter.. and syd is the financial capital of australia and looking to become a major player in the grwoing asian region ..

Does it really matter that much? I mean, it's not like sydney is going to get smaller or anything. There's no natural law that says Sydney has to be bigger.

To me, it doesn't matter if Sydney is bigger than Melbourne. Because it has water, ha!:)
Alex

Melbourne has creamed Sydney ever since the 2000 Olympics.

It's been very surprising, especially since after the great Olympics of 2000 I thought Sydney would go from strength to strength.

Basically mismanagement of the highest order by the state government in NSW, while Kennett + co got things right here in Vic. Onya Jeff! Now, Melb does everything better than Sydney.

ps - Bob Carr & Morris Iemma...hahahahaha 2 of the biggest losers it's amazing anyone could vote for such clueless clowns...they screwed your great State big time.

As a Sydneysider... I prefer Melbourne. They have great beaches within a short drive, the city is easier to get around, the footpaths are wider, the people seem more down to earth. The roads are better too.

The only thing I prefer about Sydney is the weather. I hate Melbourne weather :D

It's been very surprising, especially since after the great Olympics of 2000 I thought Sydney would go from strength to strength.
Sydney was always going to struggle after the Olympics, like every other city that has held them in recent memory. The state government spent the whole decades worth of infrastructure budget on building the olympic venues. For the next decade we're going to have to suffer from no new roads, rail, bridges etc. Hence the move towards private road developments because the government hasn't got the money any more.

I thought that was common knowledge but I guess not. Well, theoretically its only a few more years now and they might start loosening the infrastructure purse strings again.

Cheers,
Michael.

As a Sydneysider... I prefer Melbourne. They have great beaches within a short drive, the city is easier to get around, the footpaths are wider, the people seem more down to earth. The roads are better too.

The only thing I prefer about Sydney is the weather. I hate Melbourne weather :D

Thanks for the endorsements Tiger. What you say is spot on, come live down here we would like more people of your kind.

don't agree with your sentiments on the weather. Due to global warming, the winters are not as harsh or long, and the spring, autumn and summers are now devine. This week is all mid 20's to 30's with blue skies. But unfortunately we are in drought as a result.

Everytime I come to Melbourne its raining or blowing a hurricane.

Sorry, wont be moving there anytime soon but Im definitely not going to kiss the Sydney butt either :D

Most years I probably get to four or five state capitals for various reasons. This year, it's been Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne. Last year Adelaide and Hobart were in the mix. I like all of them for different reasons and I could live happily for a year or so in each.
Yesterday I was in Melbourne - beautiful day. It's funny, Melbourne is the only place in Australia where, when people find out I come from Sydney, they like to have a bit of a dig at how their city is better than Sydney. They go on and on and on about the better public transport, better roads, better hospitals, better coffee etc. They always get a bit disappointed when I don't bite back and try to defend Sydney. I just tell them that I'll have to take their word for it because Sydney people really don't think about Melbourne all that much, and that if they spend sooooo much time thinking about Sydney relative to Melbourne then perhaps they have a problem.

Scott

And dont forget our grass is greener ! ;)

It's funny, Melbourne is the only place in Australia where, when people find out I come from Sydney, they like to have a bit of a dig at how their city is better than Sydney. They go on and on and on about the better public transport, better roads, better hospitals, better coffee etc.

Aint that the truth...;)
Me Gran god bless er, still to this day champions Melbourne over Sydney, even though she has lived in Sydney since the 1940s.

and that if they spend sooooo much time thinking about Sydney relative to Melbourne then perhaps they have a problem.
Little city syndrome perhaps? ;)

Only kidding, Melbourne is a lovely place. I spend a bit of time down there with work and always enjoy it. Personally I prefer my perch on Sydney's Northern Beaches, but that's just me. :D

Cheers,
Michael.

When I came over from England we lived in Melbourne which I thought was brilliant but that was only in February, the month when they have good weather!

I only stuck out the rain, frost and ice for 18 months before coming up to Sydney and would be happy to go up another state, I love Cairns and Perth too but I figured if I was going to live in Melbourne it defeated the object of leaving England!

Sparky

It's the continual debate between our two cities, however I will leave you with this piece of information which is fact and not opinion.

Melbourne has been voted the WORLDS most liveable city on a number of occasions. Remember that this award if voted upon independantly based on factors such as weather, transport, infrastructure, quality of life, employment, schooling, public transport etc :)

I spent last week in Sydney and have to admit that the harbour is world class. Simply beautiful. However beyond that the traffic is a nightmare and I would shudder to work there. Just my opinion so don't stress. :D

I choose to live in Melbourne. I have never lived in Sydney so can't pass a comment, but I love going there for work, weekends and holidays.

Melbourne used to close down at weekends but no longer, we now have a thriving city with people from every corner of the world, so have wonderful restaurants with every different type of cuisine imaginable and the best coffee.

When I go back to London, I love the city and the hustle and bustle but I miss Melbourne's food and coffee and outgoing people. You can say g'day to people and get an answer back, I think thats fantastic in the UK if I do that people look at me funny :eek:

I have visitors this weekend from Geneva, so I will drive them just up the road to the Yarra Valley wineries, its a great trip with lunch at one of the wineries with fabulous scenery, good food and wine, then come back via Yarra Glen and the antique shops.

I am sure Sydney has the same to offer, I just don't know the area. I know Adelaide has wonderful day trips, the wineries, the hills, the beaches.

How fortunate we are to live in such a wonderful country :D

Chris

Back