Melbourne East-West tunnel

From The Age this morning... which suburbs or areas are the likely winners from this large infrastructure project.

VICTORIA has sent a senior official to China to study tunnelling techniques as the state steps up plans for a multi-billion-dollar east-west tunnel to link Melbourne's freeway network.

With the $3.8 billion EastLink tollway running ahead of schedule, the State Government is now seriously considering plans for a new east-west tunnel, a proposal also being examined in a $5 million review by businessman Sir Rod Eddington.

It is believed that a team of officials from the Department of Infrastructure who were working on the EastLink project are now considering options for a transport link connecting the Eastern Freeway to CityLink.

The proposed tunnel would connect the Eastern Freeway to CityLink, most likely going under Alexandra Parade, the Melbourne Cemetery and Royal Park. It could be extended further, into Footscray.

In an interview with The Age this month, Premier John Brumby said he expected to receive the Eddington review in late February or early March, signalling that a decision could come soon after that.

He said it was possible that the May 2008 state budget could include the first allocation of money to implement the recommendations, which he expected would include more investment in roads and public transport.

This looks really good, would save 25 minutes for my wife to get to work if she drove and also stop the huge bottleneck at hoddle street and the eastern.

I can see house prices in a lot of areas going up dramatically as a result of this if it goes ahead.

Places like Doncaster and Donvale get a double whammy with Eastlink and this.

Here is a link for the article

It will link to citylink which is even better

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/eastwest-tunnel-on-the-cards/2007/11/28/1196036983534.html

Vic Roads / State govt plan their road links through attrition

"Er.... we need this freeway to free up that bottleneck..."

6 months later

"OMG there is another bottleneck due to all the increased traffic. We desperately need another $5 billion to fix the problem. We'll get Melbourne moving this time.... I promise!" <cough>

6 month later

"Ummm......"

After this one , completing the ring road would be the obvious choice.

Back