Melbourne for under $450K

Hi,

I realise up to $450 k may not leave many options, but just wondering if anyone can suggest the closest suburbs to Melbourne where I could find the following (PPOR):

2 bedrooms + OK
Smallish house OK (can be a bit old fashioned, needing new carpets etc)
Garden size more important: Must have at least courtyard sized garden. Bigger garden, the better. Have 2 small dogs. Therefore apartments are out... must at least be a villa/townhouse.

Would like near a train/tram line (bus #2nd pref). Happy to travel up to about 30 minutes on a train to Melbourne city.

Is this possible?? :confused: Appreciate any suggestions for where to start looking.

Thankyou very much.

I would suggest maybe looking north, Glenroy/Pascoe Vale, Fawkner, Reservoir can find what you're looking for, around 30min train away.
Also, if you look west you can probably get even closer to the city, look around sunshine, around 20min train. Even west footscray you can still stumble on what you're looking for, 15min train to the city!

Traditionally east/south east has been the most desirable (and therefore where the rich suburbs are), west and north were more blue collar suburbs.
Transport links are fine for a lot of those suburbs, there does seem to be less train lines out west, but I think mainly because the population west was/is much smaller it makes sense.
A mate of mine had a theory that the western suburbs were less desirable then eastern because when you drive to work (in the cbd) from the west, the sun is in your eyes, when you drive home the sun is in your eyes. From the east, no sun in your eyes! :)

Great thanks for the suggestions :) I'll look into them.

Why is west cheaper? Is it less desirable? Poorer transport links?

Everyone is beating round the bush a bit here. The west is less desireable because a lot of the kids carry weapons. Not saying it doesn't happen in other areas but way more frequent.

East - leafy suburbs which include your more prestigious suburbs such as toorak
North - grungy suburbs popular with uni students and hipsters, traffic in the inner north is hopeless
South - suburbs nearer to beaches, mainly pretty quiet places to live

Every area has exceptions but that is a broad overview of what to expect in different regions.
Have to have a look for yourself I guess.
Personally if I was coming here to work I would rent - the average yield in Melbourne is under 4%. Invest elsewhere at higher yields and live here in a suburb that would be out of your purchasing price range

It's because the outer western suburbs only have access to those cr@ppy dirty brown moccasins, whereas the more well-heeled bogans in the East have yer you-beaut black ones, and some even trade-up to the mid-calf number with the stitching. ;)

They're simply just not as high up the ladder as we are over here.

Been waiting for the big moderation-required-in-extreme East vs West debate to boil up, but it has been unnervingly quiet.... :confused:

The Y-man

TRains from Macleod for morning and evening rush hour take a lot less as the trains go express from Heidelberg to Clifton Hill then straight to Jolimont.

I always get the train from Rosanna and it takes 20 minutes to Jolimont.

Macleod is an older suburb.

The north-east is a good, very leafy, sociable and no moccies :D

Chris

West does have less public transport. But comparatively its cheaper so you can live closer to the city. Which is a big bonus. West has probably less congestion then east or north.

Really in reality west is cheaper cause east is overpriced. lol

Beijos,

If you're interested I'm happy to give you a bunch of advice for free if you'd like to call, email or meet in person (when you're in Melb)

Just let me know.

There seems to have been a rush on property around Montmorency...property that had sat for months has suddenly all been sold!!!!

Not sure what causes these lulls then spurts!!!!

Chris

There seems to have been a rush on property around Montmorency...property that had sat for months has suddenly all been sold!!!!

Not sure what causes these lulls then spurts!!!!

Chris

May be coincidence, but Greensborough/Montmorency are the featured suburbs in this month's API Victoria piece.

Thanks Tony, that makes sense. Unit in my street was to be auctioned but there was not any interest. Now all of a sudden its sold.

I know the owner dropped her price considerably but she made it up the other end by getting a house at a lower price in Rye, where she wanted to move to.

Chris

Back