Melbourne's East-West link approved - which suburbs will benefit the most?

Cool! Any maps?

Ringwood, Frankston, no doubt.

Driving from Ringwood to the CBD currently takes around 40 minutes in heavy traffic. The problem is that 50% of the time (~20 minutes) is taken up in the last 10% of distance (~3kms) along Hoddle Street to the CBD. I'm not sure how the EW link will change this but possibly reduce traffic along Hoddle/Alexandra Ave?

I could tell you where it will be highly detrimental.. Most of Moonee Valley, including Ascot Vale, Flemington, Moonee Ponds and Kensingon. It will become a rat run, especially with the Ormond Road off ramp.

Anyway, another example of short term politics, and planning on the run, all propped up by the Victorian taxpayer.

Unfortunately it is unlikely to actually improve trip times in to the city. So don't know if it will improve suburb values but rather detract from those which the road effects, i.e the inner north as listed previously.

It is like widening the Monash, it is all a bit of a furphy of chasing our tail trying to build more of these roads and widen them (like they want to do with the tulla). You still have the same amount of traffic, this represent a physical footprint size, by widening you just squish that footprint in at the ends doing hardly nothing. Also at the end of freeways (i.e the city where the majority of people are trying to go) you always have bottlenecks, there is still going to be significant traffic along Hoddle/Punt. Remember also on all of these major road building projects that have happened around the country (Brisbane tunnel, Sydney tunnel, Melbourne East Link) none of the traffic figures used in the business cases (often not revealed till after it's built) have even come close with the projects not making money for their owners/operators. It's a disgrace how these major projects are getting pushed through government without the release of the business cases.

No city in the world has reduced congestion by building more roads. We need better planning policy and ideas to get people off the roads we have. I.e public transport needs to be faster/cheaper than a car trip for the same journey. Cities which have successful systems this is one of the biggest drivers, time saved. Unfortunately in Melbourne PT often isn't faster.

where are the examples of more roads improving traffic congestion?

Is this a questions for me? Not sure what you are asking if it is. I said no city in the world has reduced traffic congestion by building more roads.

Is this a questions for me? Not sure what you are asking if it is. I said no city in the world has reduced traffic congestion by building more roads.

Hi

Agreed. But it has drastically reduced travel times from point A to point B.
For example in the late 80's it would take over 1.5 hours from Patterson Lakes to Tullamarine Airport. Now I can do it in about 60 minutes and that is over 25 years later with a lot more cars on the road as well.

If you want to reduce traffic congestion simply price petrol at $5 a litre and pronto traffic congestion problems will be solved instantly.

regards,

alicudi

Back