Michael Yardney's says don't buy in the western suburbs

Some longer term (averaged out) growth per annum, period 1998 to 2008, stats courtesy Vic Valuer -General:

Collingwood: growth P/A for 98-08...10.9%

Kilmore: 11.3%

Melton: 9.9%

Ballarat: 10%

Bendigo: 10%

Horsham: 8%

Swan Hill: 8%

Wyndham Vale: 12%

Werribee: 11.4%

Hawthorn: 9.2%

Laverton: 9%

Lilydale: 11%

Malvern: 11.1%

Warrnambool: 9.9%

Wonthaggi: 10.1%

Woodend: 12%

Apollo Bay: 17.8% (units/apartments) Houses 12%

Richmond: 9.9%

St Kilda: 9%

All the decades dips and peaks, jumps and drops, in the end, it averages out to much of a muchness.:)

The previous decade is not dissimilar either.

Last edited:
To continue the Melbourne theme, the median price in Collingwood is $705K, and in Melton $240K. At the moment, the market considers that a home in Collingwood is worth almost three times a home in Melton.

I am not very familiar with the Melbourne property market. But in terms of what you get for $240K in Melton do you get a similarly featured (beds/bath/land size/finishing etc.) property for $705K in Collingwood ?

As for the inner/outer debate. I think both strategies can work as effectively if you know what you are doing by picking the right type of property at the right time in property cycle.

Cheers,
Oracle.

I wish i was that articulate and concise. ;)

Yes, I'm seeing why Michael doesn't like the idea of investing in US property, where the market is much closer to a "real" market, ie a property's value is derived from its ability to earn an income, rather than from the perception that its value will continue to exponentially increase indefinitely. ;)

.toe

Cash flow will never make you rich or wealthy. A substantial asset base will.

;)
I agree on that one simple item,it all comes back to the core asset base cash flow can only take you so far if the borrower defaults..

If you were to do the numbers on anything,people who control above 5m,10m,20m in liquid property investments,then the numbers drop down to near zero,the same as the CBA-NAB-anyone that controls above 5000 units the same numbers apply,and once you understand those simple rules you can exploit it which ever way you want..

Hi all,

OO,

In those statistics from the valuer-general, Apollo Bay sticks out like a sore thumb at 17.8% pa. Yet to me it proves the line Lies, damm lies and statistics.

In 1998 you could buy an old holiday house fibro/weatherboard on a large block of land in the Pascoe st, Moore st, Montrose Ave area, just behind the shops and not far from the beach for ~$67k. I know this because I passed up the opportunity at the time (where is the bang head on wall smilie??). By 2002-3 these same properties were ~$300k. There were lots of them for sale at the time, it was the median type dwelling then.
Now the median type dwelling is totally different. The land content is minimal with a nice new apartment/unit/townhouse. Buying any of these in 2003-4 will have shown very little growth between then and now, yet the statistics tend to indicate you would do very well.

This all brings me back to my original question for MY, the growth statistics that you show, are they like for like?? Has the 1 bd apartment in the inner ring that you mentioned, had the 15-20% growth in value that you quoted??

bye

The inetersting thing here is that residential property investing is the only investment asset class that sacrifices cashflow on the alter of capital growth (i'm in a melodramatic mood this morning).

What cash flow would you get out of gold/precious metal/artwork/antiques/etc?

For that matter what about all the non dividend paying stocks/equities?

I can think of plenty of cash flow sacrifices made on the alter of capital gains out side of Resi property.

Based on the small sample being my portfolio (in the double digits), overall return (rent + CG) has been a bit better for inner suburbs than outer ones over the last 15 years. So MY has a point. However the difference is not large enough to talk about a divide between the two. Maybe the perceived divide lies more in the timing of the return (point in a market cycle or a life cycle) than the size of the return.

Any investor can easily point out underperforming as well as overperforming suburbs in inner or outer area in any capital city. But over the very long term (20 years or more) they tend to follow the mean. If your horizon is short (less than 5 years) then good selection is critical. Otherwise you have a lot more leeway to play with because time tends to rub out differences.

Also you don't have to be a millionaire to own IPs in inner areas. My 1br apartments in CBD, as suggested by MY, haven't cost me a fortune to buy but have always provided decent CF as well as CG.

evand,

BHP is currently on a yield of 2%, so I assume people are only buying it for growth, yet is is marketed by the finance industry as a must have in a portfolio.

I don't think you're original statement really stacks up at all...

The inetersting thing here is that residential property investing is the only investment asset class that sacrifices cashflow on the alter of capital growth

bye

Hi Truong,

I am really interested in the performance of those 1 bd apartments. How much growth have they had? Over what period of time? Were they new or older when you bought?

Thanks

bye

They have been termed 'investing' but i think they'd come under the heading of speculating.

What cash flow would you get out of gold/precious metal/artwork/antiques/etc?

For that matter what about all the non dividend paying stocks/equities?

I can think of plenty of cash flow sacrifices made on the alter of capital gains out side of Resi property.

Bill:

In those statistics from the valuer-general, Apollo Bay sticks out like a sore thumb at 17.8% pa. Yet to me it proves the line Lies, damm lies and statistics.

In 1998 you could buy an old holiday house fibro/weatherboard on a large block of land in the Pascoe st, Moore st, Montrose Ave area, just behind the shops and not far from the beach for ~$67k.

Yes, I know, I'm familiar with AB, used to live there. Agree.

I know this because I passed up the opportunity at the time (where is the bang head on wall smilie??). By 2002-3 these same properties were ~$300k. There were lots of them for sale at the time, it was the median type dwelling then.

Never mind, that's what we can do. I did the same thing.

Now the median type dwelling is totally different. The land content is minimal with a nice new apartment/unit/townhouse. Buying any of these in 2003-4 will have shown very little growth between then and now, yet the statistics tend to indicate you would do very well.

Actually it was the unit/apartment growth P/A...averaged out from median prices of units/apartment-ALL sales data. I'll go back and clarify that growth pertaining to units/apartments. That's the drill, we could obtain all the sales from 20 years ago, every little bit of property that was sold, (I would love to do that btw, but it would be sheer personal gratification), then get the total list of sales now, compare the addresses, match it all up and no doubt, even with all the ooooh's and aaarh's of everything with stats, the nitty gritty detail, it would still show us if you had any property in AB you would have done just fine and dandy 20 years later. Even if you accidently burnt the house down and had stuff all insurance.

And remember Bill, from 2003/4 that's not particularly longterm, my decade is not even longterm, but a damn sight better than quarterly changes.

The house growth P/A averaged out over the decade for AB was 12%.

Units/apartments 17%...for the decade. 98-08.

The averaged out growth for AB for the decade 94-2005 was 11.4%, I don't have units or apartments tho'.

History can show us, the best way it can, property increases in value over time, some folks have a perception that inner city dwellings/property is the 'best' and most 'serious' option if you are 'serious' about property investing, I say the averaged growth per annum for most properties, regardless of wherever-(not talking one horse towns- no) is not that vastly different. Although keep in mind one horse towns have property shortages too, some folks go from small town to small town buying older places, doing them up and on selling for a years wages profit...know how to drive a paintbrush?:p

OF COURSE everyone has a 'single story or two or three' to tell with their property observations, I say, BEWARE the single storys, the single observations.

The Danger of The Single Story:

http://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story.html

In 1985 for the WHOLE of Colac Shire, there were 328 sales, (2008: 329 sales), median house price was: $42,250 mean price: $46,882...(2008 $220,000 mn: $272,934).

For units/apartments 1985, 31 sales: median-$55,800 mn: $53,522....(2008, 59 sales, median: $250,000 mn: $314,965)

As much as someone can pick a single story or two or three, and as much as we keep in mind the importance of interpretating data, the averaged growth P/A is still a useful factor to compare over longterm. That MUST go hand in hand with due dilgence on the ground and as I've said before and again, "Buying Well" is important, "The Deal" is important.

But for someone to insinuate regional investing is a poor cousin (no nobody has actually done that :) I'm just preempting here) to inner city investing is uneducated.

There would be a lot of people that drop by this forum, novices who maybe impressionable about the type and way they 'think' they might need to go about investing and (as said before) there are many ways.

Regional Investing is also one of them and you need not think that investing in regional vic means checking your brain at the door re/ growth.

That's a fallacy. A myth.

Regional Investing offers a great threesome, when you do your due dilgence:

1. Growth longterm as comparable to much of the muchness of city investing when it all comes out in the wash...keeping in mind the water factor places, eg Port Fairy's, the Apollo Bays etc are "special":)

2. Rental Returns are strong IF you do your homework, if you can present your property 'well'.

3. What I have experienced, what other numerous investors have experienced is that well presented IP's in regional areas are in demand.

Then there are the sweet kicker things like what's your IRR on the investment? How much HAVE you kicked in on the sucker, how much are you out of pocket there?

There is a wholistic approach to property investing, that's why Jan Somer's Story by Story is so vital, you get to hear and read of so many different ways...investing, serious big buck accumulation does not stop at the outskirts of Sunshine. What you do with that asset base is up to you, there are numerous ways to take that base and turn it into magic $$$$, we have the people here sharing that journey, their options they then took...ie commercials/industrials/businesses.

You are only ever limited by the processes between your ears, Glial cells. Invest in your Glial Cells.:):D

Longterm growth P/A stats are useful for but a small comparison in the much, MUCH grander scheme of things.

You know when I first 'found' this forum I had a reasonably steady observation of people commenting upon the lack of growth they thought was occuring in outer, outer suburbs. The regional areas were the devil incarnate. I thought well, that's not what I've observed over time living in these bush cities...

It was puzzling me, so I decided to gather up what data was available to see if there was some truth in all this.

Two words:

There's not.:)

Do not be apprehensive about investing in outer suburbs, nor the bush. It's what you then do that asset base after a good slug of accumulation that will sort the gotsomes from the fathappywaddlers.

...and just to add to that before I go catch my rabbit lunch, another word that is vital to many:

AFFORDIBILTY

John and Jane drop by the forum, just had a second child, her work is reduced, their income drops, they don't necessarily need to think they 'cannot' afford investing because they don't have a capacity to now borrow for a $547,099 property in Limbo Street St Kilda, they might like to consider a more affordible IP in [insert your favorite regional city here....Vic has'em by bucketloads]

While Bob and Anne are growing, (Jane gets back to work)..hotdamn, so is that IP....!!!! Maybe even get anothery. There is an idea.

Not bad treading water there, and possible, a real possibility because of a greater selection of potential affordable IP's, possibly giving a healthy return-low impact on finances when there is four mouths to feed..

Just a thought.:eek::)

Hi Truong,

I am really interested in the performance of those 1 bd apartments. How much growth have they had? Over what period of time? Were they new or older when you bought?

Thanks

bye

Older type. Had them for 10-15 years. Yield in the 4.5-5% range. CG probably in line with average. Will only know for sure when I sell them. Nothing flash but decent.

Note that I didn't recommend buying 1br units in CBD. I was only illustrating the point that you don't need to be a millionaire to invest in CBD. On average, my CBD apartments didn't burden me any more than my other IPs in inner or outer suburbs as I always try to buy below the metropolitan median.

BHP's current yield is 2.2% because of a big price jump of late.

But 2.2% net (and franking) is still more than the negative to zero % most resi investors achieve.

If it wasnt for govt/ATO subsidies it wouldn't be worth it. Actually, most investors couldn't do it financially.

That's why - imo - most funds/serious investors/etc don't dabble in resi property investing. they leave that to the mum and pop type investors. And there's nothing wrong with that.

evand,

BHP is currently on a yield of 2%, so I assume people are only buying it for growth, yet is is marketed by the finance industry as a must have in a portfolio.

I don't think you're original statement really stacks up at all...

bye

BHP's current yield is 2.2% because of a big price jump of late.

But 2.2% net (and franking) is still more than the negative to zero % most resi investors achieve.
Evand,

Please explain? How are most investors achieving zero or negative yield?

If we assume it is let, then that's about 4% odd. So, to be negative you'd have to spend more than that on PM fees, maintenance, council rates etc? I can't see that happening. Of course, we're ignoring finance as either BHP or resi property could be financed so that is irrelevant when calculating yield.

Just not sure how you came up with a negative yield assumption for most resi investors. I think you're waaaay off the page.

FWIW, I agree with Michael but most who know me know this already. I like well located properties with good capital growth prospects based on ever increasing populations and the wealth effect of affluent buyers. I posted a thread recently outlining why I think higher median properties will outperform in the medium term based on the pending economic boom that we're in the early stages of, but that's another thread.

Cheers,
Michael

Michael, i'm referring to expenses being more than income. Or negative gearing.

But you're comparing buying BHP without gearing, and buying property with gearing. Surely that's not comparing apples to apples? If I bought a property without debt, the yield would be something like 4% + depreciation.

I'm just talking about net cash flow from an investment.

Bill brought up the BHP comparison.

But you're comparing buying BHP without gearing, and buying property with gearing. Surely that's not comparing apples to apples? If I bought a property without debt, the yield would be something like 4% + depreciation.

And that's only because of the many govt/ATO subsidies to do with resi property investing.

I'll add the word "temporary" before "subsidies"

Its a skewed investment class that doesn't march to the drum of the pure market but has artificially created returns.

Is it really "artificially" created?. Because if it is then, everything else is just a "mirage" :eek: Or perhaps the problems is with the currency we use for our day-to-day transactions. If instead of property we talk about the price of milk or our own wages then, we could also say that they have being "artificially" inflated. When house prices go up. It is not just house prices going up but, everything else too :rolleyes:

http://www.abcdiamond.com/australia/price-of-milk/

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]?OpenDocument

I'm a cashflow man, in all investment, not just resi property. I will not buy on the crap yields available these days.

I believe in a way we all are and want + CF. It is just a matter of having different timing for getting it. A resi IP that has -ve CF today won't have it for ever. And the timing for getting that + CF won't be to far away specially if the world keeps at printing money at the current rate.

You can make a huge amount of money investing in blue chip suburbs (if you can borrow the funds and handle the crap yields) and do just ok in the outer suburbs. As you're starting from a much lower price.

Agree! We need to do all we can as fast as we can. Doing nothing is not an option.

Back