Millionaire on Big Brother - Property Investor

I will admit I like this show. Not so much a fan now that Channel 9 has it. Seems very budget now.

But the millionaire guy on there came in today and turns out he made his money from investing. So related to this forum. Here is his article in a recent property investment mag.

bb_george.jpeg

That's an awesome story. However, the grammar Nazi in me has detected the author saying that the young man who is the centre of this story is going to build a 'bacherlor' [sic] pad. Ugh.

I can't believe BB is still a viable show to even warrant another series.

It's just a Gen Y "look at me" fest.

Mindless waffle and lots of "like" being said.

I guess; if it sells....

I find it interesting that his mother and sister have 'free reign' of his account and money. I guess he must trust them implicitly.

I find it interesting that his mother and sister have 'free reign' of his account and money. I guess he must trust them implicitly.

For years I've had access to my parents accounts, for business, IPs and personal

Not free reign like his where it is all communal but certainly complete access.

Nothung unusual imo although I guess fairly uncommon

Last edited:
I saw an episode of the "block NZ" the other night. Good to see the project houses being regular stand alone type houses, rather than all the inner city terrace type houses they always use on the block AUS.

Ok, I just removed what i posted after reading article.

Sharing accounts is not common and invites all types of challenges re tax and NG allowances. If anything you should have many separate accounts to keep it clear.

On the guy himself not surprised to find he is immigrant family with no dad to mention hence he is man in the family. This not uncommon and explains why in many Countyr town the locla Fish and Chip shop MR Populous etc... own half the commercial shops. They work hard and dave hard and work together going guarantor. This wipes out the typical Gen Y stereotypes and age issues. He has good investing genes!

Good on em! I wish I was Greek.

Peter 14.7

Is it just me or are some of those estimations of valuation and rent high?
building for $452k but worth $1.5M, even if include PP being just land value $310k thats $762k
or $570k build $580k PP value estimate $2.5M and $12k p/w rent even at 48 weeks thats more then 1/2 Mil in rent p.a
building a house for $335k and it being worth $1.3M

Am I missing something? Great returns on investment...

Is it just me or are some of those estimations of valuation and rent high?
building for $452k but worth $1.5M, even if include PP being just land value $310k thats $762k
or $570k build $580k PP value estimate $2.5M and $12k p/w rent even at 48 weeks thats more then 1/2 Mil in rent p.a
building a house for $335k and it being worth $1.3M

Am I missing something? Great returns on investment...

Property vals are based on yield in Newman (and Karratha, Port Hedland etc) with about 10% in K and 11% in Newman/PH.

IIRC, the $452K build was on the back of a IP he already owned and it was rented for about $3200pw? Based on about an 11% yield, that values the built property at about $1.5M.

Nature of the market up to now.

Interesting to see the effects of the impact of more land released and housing stock coming onto the market in these places in the Pilbara.

I was eyeing off that 20% yield too. Please somebody tell me there's a typo or a decent explanation on the second page of the article.

Doubt there's a typo, maybe an error in the calc.

With a $12K pw rent that's $624K pa and with the town yield of about 11% that's a value of about $5.7M.

Need to re-read the article at home to remember how it went.

I remember this article from a couple of months back.

The figures certainly are very nice in terms of yields.

So is this guy really on BB for this season?

Back