mirrabooka, balga, nollamarra

Do you mean between build cost vs end product price?

Its hard to say because people are giving very different guesstimates of how much it will coat to build these villas. So far ive got a range from 140k to 200k

The $200k I was mentioning was for a larger villa, I thought we were talking triplex sites of 740m2 etc.

For a 2x1 I think $140k-$160k would be ok for ballpark figures, subject to site classification/retaining/earthworks etc.

Have you spoken to any builders?

Look at it reaaaaallly roughly.

Let's say raw land component for each villa is $125k (I'm blind guessing here as I don't know the area but you should know this), construction is $160k, another $40k for incidentals, some holding costs etc.

Cost is around $325k for a 2x1 in midland. Can you sell it for more than 420 k or so to give you roughly 20% after selling costs, gst etc? If it's in the ballpark then it's worth investigating further and tightening the numbers. If it's nowhere close move on, it's a waste of time and energy

My figures are just examples to illustrate a point btw

The $200k I was mentioning was for a larger villa, I thought we were talking triplex sites of 740m2 etc.

For a 2x1 I think $140k-$160k would be ok for ballpark figures, subject to site classification/retaining/earthworks etc.

$200K larger villas, that would be basic finish, no fruit??

Let's say raw land component for each villa is $125k (I'm blind guessing here as I don't know the area but you should know this), construction is $160k, another $40k for incidentals, some holding costs etc.

Cost is around $325k for a 2x1 in midland. Can you sell it for more than 420 k or so to give you roughly 20% after selling costs, gst etc? If it's in the ballpark then it's worth investigating further and tightening the numbers. If it's nowhere close move on, it's a waste of time and energy

No probably something i need to do.

Id say a brand new villa 2x1x1 is worth close to 400k in midland. Would love to get a 3x1.

So is the garage apaet of the outdoor or indoor living area based its a grouped dwelling?

I know you are guessing.... but good luck anyone trying for $420K??? just had a quick look, I think it would be under $400K depending on location I guess, but also this market has over supply which means a good chance of falling back, same as Balga etc.

Villa/townhouse

So garage is included in the outdoor area or living area? For grouped dwelling

Double Garage (30-35m2) and store room (>=4m2) are included in site coverage. So if you have 88m2 to build then you have 58m2 of internal living space if single storey. Excl garage, 105sqm is the smallest i would build for a 3x2. If it was me then i would aim for 130sqm living/storeroom and 32sqm garage =165sqm

If 2 storey then you have 88x2 = 166sqm which is fine. Does the market demographic and final sale price warrant the extra build cost of a 2 storey in this area?

Correct. I worked out 471 (lot size) - 30sqm (frontage that cant be built on 2x15)

441sqm/3 = 147sqm per place.

40% needs to be outdoor area. 60% living area.

So 147 x 0.6 = 88.2m max living area.

I believe the living area includes the garage?

You can use the setbacks for the calculation

So you have 471sqm. You can cover 60% of that with building.

471 x 0.6 = 282.6
Divide that by 3 = 94.2 max per dwelling

Things which aren't enclosed on 3 sides are exempt, so a garage is NOT exempt but a carefully designed carport is. Same with an alfresco.

But basically a single garage is 18sqm + 4sqm store room leaves 72 sqm which is just enough for a 2 x 1

Your costs will be approx $140k per dwelling but allow yourself $20k extra for contingency and headworks etc. So $160k x 3 = 480k plus site buying costs

Do scenario planning with
1. 3 of 2 bedders
2. 2 of 3 bedders
3. retain and build behind

All of these things will point you to if there is profit in it

Double Garage (30-35m2) and store room (>=4m2) are included in site coverage. So if you have 88m2 to build then you have 58m2 of internal living space if single storey. Excl garage, 105sqm is the smallest i would build for a 3x2. If it was me then i would aim for 130sqm living/storeroom and 32sqm garage =165sqm

If 2 storey then you have 88x2 = 166sqm which is fine. Does the market demographic and final sale price warrant the extra build cost of a 2 storey in this area?

Would only be doing single garage and single storey.

You can use the setbacks for the calculation

So you have 471sqm. You can cover 60% of that with building.

471 x 0.6 = 282.6
Divide that by 3 = 94.2 max per dwelling

Things which aren't enclosed on 3 sides are exempt, so a garage is NOT exempt but a carefully designed carport is. Same with an alfresco.

But basically a single garage is 18sqm + 4sqm store room leaves 72 sqm which is just enough for a 2 x 1

Your costs will be approx $140k per dwelling but allow yourself $20k extra for contingency and headworks etc. So $160k x 3 = 480k plus site buying costs

Do scenario planning with
1. 3 of 2 bedders
2. 2 of 3 bedders
3. retain and build behind

All of these things will point you to if there is profit in it
Unfortunately cant build behind because the driveway needs to be at least 3m and 0.5m from boundary. Which isnt the case with this land.

Requires knockdown/demo.

Also you cant build on the 2m frontage for the property acc to Rcodes?

So a carport with 2 covered sides would be considered outdoor area?

Unfortunately cant build behind because the driveway needs to be at least 3m and 0.5m from boundary. Which isnt the case with this land.

Requires knockdown/demo.

Ive seen people just use a car bay and put up some shade sails to be safe.
Use an external colorbond shed so you can save yourself 4m2 instead of an internal store. I got DA approval for this in Midvale.

Yes 2m setback (R codes) or more (depending on council) for primary street.

Requires knockdown/demo.

You can't build on the setback area but you can include it in the exclusive area of the lot and be used for open space calculations.

Yes a carport butted up against the house so 2 sides are walls is not included but I get conflicting advice on this.

Yes a carport butted up against the house so 2 sides are walls is not included but I get conflicting advice on this.
Hi Myf
Maybe it depends if the carport/garage slab is attached to the main residence? Just brick pave the carport to be safe.

We probably need a seperate thread for this discussion.

Im glas i have brought up some interesting/unsure discussion in regards to driveway width and now carport ect.

Maybe a seperate thread for these 2 things could be covered.

Why do we really need to cover our cars up?

Im glas i have brought up some interesting/unsure discussion in regards to driveway width and now carport ect.

Maybe a seperate thread for these 2 things could be covered.

Why do we really need to cover our cars up?

Cos it's Perth and your paint will fade and you'll burn your ar$e when you sit down on a seat if it's been in the sun all day :eek:

how important are having garages when it comes to end value and demand?

are carports viewed as very inferior and affect price/demand?

analyzing the last few posts, seems like using a carport is a good way to have more actual living area instead of garage eating up the allowance

Sigh. Just trust me on this. If all the other houses have carports/garages then you need to have one as well. It's a good investment.
A lockable garage was a condition of my last tenant which was one reason I could rent out my house at above market rent for the time. Totally worth it.

Back