Modern locking technologies

In relation to this comment in that article:

The screeching ones are like car alarms - no one listens to them or takes any notice because they just think it's malfunctioning.
That may be true, but a screeching alarm system (internal screamers, not the outside siren) is a deterrent because it means the burglar can't hear anything above the noise, which may attract someone's attention, and thus he would (or should) be concerned that someone might walk in on him without him hearing them coming.

Of course the screamers need to be located such that they can't simply be disabled with one good whack from a hammer.

GP

I like the thoughts of having those swipe cards or key pads for reasons other than safety.
I would like to disarm a tenants access to a unit should they stay beyond their lease unlawfully.
Maybe if they are late in rent, the entry access may just stuff up ocassionally, when we are away on vacation....:D

We are seriously considering something like this for a share house, B & B and our apartment building.

A true story.

A friend that I worked with quite a few years ago was robbed, and reported it to the local Melbourne (Carnegie) police. In confidence the policeman told him that the thieves would in all probability be back.

The policeman went on to say, that if he was home when another burgulary took place, to beat the intruder until he was dead and then put a knife in his hand to make it look like self defence.

Well my friend being of the proactive type, and having worked for the CIA, rigged up wires connected to a 240 V power switch in the laundry near the back door. The rational being that the thieves would use the same entry point as previously ie breaking the laundry window next to the rear door and put their hand in through the window to unlock the door.

Well a couple of weeks later he came home to find the window had been forced and the 'live' wires had been disturbed. Nothing was taken and the thieves never came back!

Not recommened. However,my friend was actually prepared to put a body in the boot of his car and dump it somewhere if needed.

Now you might say you're happy to upgrade just because it's more convenient to use, with no real added security, and that's fine as long as you know you're not getting improved security - or at least that it has fundamental security issues the same as the current technology.
That's my position exactly, but I take your point re marketing. I'm all about convenience. :cool:
Not recommened. However,my friend was actually prepared to put a body in the boot of his car and dump it somewhere if needed.
Yeah, see, I prefer not to have friends like that... ;)

OK, we ended up going for the Kaba E-Flash EF220 Biometric Fingerprint Rim Lock. We've programmed in a forefinger and thumb of every household member, and it seems to work well. The scanning is quick, the number of false negatives (ie denying a valid fingerprint) is low, and usually related to moving the finger too quickly over the scanner. You can do it quickly, just not as quick as a "wave", if you know what I mean. And we haven't yet had a false positive, where it unlocks for any finger that's not programmed in. So it seems to have struck a good balance between being fast and flexible (ie adapts to slightly different speeds and angles of the finger, etc), whilst retaining specificity.

It also has a code as a backup, if for some reason your finger doesn't work.

It is operated only by a battery, but you get low battery warnings a very long time in advance, so you have plenty of opportunity to replace the batteries before you run into a problem.

It has some neat features, such as being able to set it to lock a certain time after the door is closed, which I think we have set at about 5 seconds. So there's no possibility of forgetting to lock the door; it automatically locks itself after the door's closed.

Hubby installed it himself and found it very simple. The alarm came with templates and clear instructions.

And I think it looks OK, so we're very happy with our choice. :)

21112009.jpg

Flippin heck thats impressive! Did you get it from a specialty store?

I thought I was being technical with my new three position tri-lock. Still requires keys though.

Your new door security seems to work the same way as my lap top. With fingerprint recognition. That sometimes requires me rescanning and it is also because I move too quickly.

One thing that stands out when thinking about basic security requirements is the need for security in depth or “rings of security” any protective system without depth/rings of security will eventually be broken. To put it simply if you only lock your perimeter fence gate, but leave you front door open, sooner or later someone is going to jump the fence and walk into your house.

This is an interesting concept, especially in light of modern 'outdoor living' design trends.

Go back to the country-style or Californian bungalows and there is often low or no front fence and a large verandah (for much of the front of the house or sometimes even all around). This often had chairs and maybe a table and cupboard for storing stuff.

From about the middle of last century this shrunk to become a porch, hardly big enough for umbrellas and shoes or to provide shelter when arriving home and fumbling for keys on a wet night. But front windows (typically the lounge and master bedroom) remained large and may have got larger.

When internal access from the double (or triple) garage to the kitchen became popular the front porch disappeared. High walls are more an inner suburban thing - they're a significant expense for the outer suburban project home buyer. But on project homes front windows became narrow slits, more like medieval castles as the most commonly used lounge moved from the front to the rear of the house.

Outdoor living is the big thing, with the ideal being a flow from the kitchen through a living area out to a deck and then, if you haven't yet hit the back fence, a few metres of backyard. The wider the rear doors open (first glass sliding doors, then bifolds, and then the whole rear of the house) the posher the house or reno.

So as people made the front of their houses more fort-like and closed off from the street, the back became more open, to match peoples desire for flow between inside and private areas outside. Only a wall of glass - no brickwork - seperates the plasma from the outside.

In this regard I agree that you're only relying on fences with neighbours and in this regard new homes have quite poor security due to our taste for inside-out living and a withdrawal to the rear. Meanwhile as people are almost always at the back of the house, and street views are less sought after, there is less passive surveillance of the streets.

And we haven't yet had a false positive, where it unlocks for any finger that's not programmed in. So it seems to have struck a good balance between being fast and flexible (ie adapts to slightly different speeds and angles of the finger, etc), whilst retaining specificity.

Tried a photocopy of your thumbprint yet? :)

Or the myhtbusters one of a gel cast of your finger print made from a thumbprint (for more advanced locks that detect heat - the cast needs to be worn over your own thumb)

Cheers,

The Y-man

The policeman went on to say, that if he was home when another burgulary took place, to beat the intruder until he was dead and then put a knife in his hand to make it look like self defence.

:eek: medical examinations etc can prove that it wasn't self defence
based on the position of injuries etc
then you will go to jail for murder

Back