Modern roof repairs Blaaaaaa...

Hi George

Now, I definitely not doing it my self - toooooooooo scary:eek:

Celeste

i try to avoid roofs nowadays too - after going for a slide down a damp tile roof and only being saved by the gutter ... unfortunately someone has to put up the christmas lights!!

i try to avoid roofs nowadays too - after going for a slide down a damp tile roof and only being saved by the gutter ... unfortunately someone has to put up the christmas lights!!

Hi Lizzie

Thats Hubby's job - Our place almost makes it to the western power competition - we are on the lights to see list. Lots of bad words coming from the roof in the 3-4 weeks B4 Xmas.:D

I am secretly making a big santa and slay with reindeers for Xmas 07 to put on the lawn. When every one goes to work/school I will set them up - Surprise.:D

Celeste

I just purchased some Yakka overalls - thought it might stop the disgusted looks I get when I nick down the shops covered in paint / tile edhesive dust and rubble.:D

Celeste

Hi Celeste

When I am in working mode (although my favourite totally paint splattered clobber from when the ten litre can fell out of the side of the van onto my leg no longer fit me) I have actually received applause from other people at the supermarket!

And as I have a Trade Account at Bunnings I figure I at least look the part while in the queue at the Trade Counter.

I just love working on the houses - I get to wear my $6 checked flannelette shirts, grungy clothes, get paint on my spectacles and if the nail polish lasts more than two days then I'm not working hard enough!

But under no circumstances am I getting up on the roof!

cheers

Kristine

PS I bought some Yakka overalls three years ago, and had the body shape to wear them then ie barrel shaped - maybe I should get them out of the shed and try again now that I look more like the apprentice than like the Master!

I am secretly making a big santa and slay with reindeers for Xmas 07 to put on the lawn. When every one goes to work/school I will set them up - Surprise.:D

Celeste

Santa Slaying the Reindeer will certainly be a big surprise for 'everyone' in the street; sounds messy :D

I imagine kids fainting in the front yard and parents frantically covering the kids eyes as they drive past :p

5.jpg

, but if you slip and rope takes tension, not only you will damage the roof, but tile might cut the rope too and whole protection will fall apart.

I would seriously hope that rock climbing rope and harness would be adequately rated to surive such an event without the rope fraying.

I respect the helpfulness of your post however, and wasn't trying to pick holes in your idea, more saying that a rock climbing grade rope should survive such an event, when you think about what it's designed to do.. cliff faces are much worse on them.

My well-intended post backfired.

But true, better to be safe than sorry.

It's ok george :D - if I did decide to go that way, I would enlist hubby's help and harness - he has an air con firm and he has the correct harnesses for roof work.

Celeste

We had a Moderns roof resotration done on our old PPOR about 6 years ago. As with any work you want done on your properties, you should always get at least 3 quotes. This is what we did. I also knew what a work colleague had paid for their recent roof rest on a similar size house to ours. Anyway, as seems to be the Modern way, a slick young fella turns up in his suit and tie and glossy book. He did get a ladder out and got up on the roof and invited my husband up to point out a few small problems here and there. So far so good! Then he calculates the price and we nearly fell off our chairs. Close to double what our friends had paid and about $1600 more than our next nearest quote. So we put it to him and cut a long story short, he made a series of phone calls (supposedly) to his supervisor whilst we negotiated the price. In the end we got $1600 off his original quote to match our other quote and so we went ahead.

From memory I believe we paid $2300 which included some repointing, some tiles replaced, 2 x galvinised chimney's & whirly bird all painted to match roof. Credit were it is due, they did a very nice job and 6 years on, the roof looks as good today as it did then (I drive past almost daily).

I've no doubt that there are other roof restorers who do just as good a job but do ask for the address of some roofs that they've done say 3 years or more ago and go and have a look. I often see dodgy restorations where the paint is peeling off (such as our next door neighbours). As for tackling the job yourself, we looked into this and decided not to DIY. Applying the paint is the easy but there is a lot more to proper preparation than just hitting the roof with a high pressure cleaner.

Flatout

Hi all

I have not looked into the roof situation any further as yet.

I had a visit from my neighbour accross the road today - guess what? He's renovating also, and has done about 10 so far - he is holding about 8 and does 1 reno a year to sell.

He told me that he had a roofing guy coming this week, that has done his previous reno's. so, he is going to send him over.:D

And he owns the property next door to duplex no.2 so I was able to solve a couple of problems there and saved me tracking him down. excellant.

Celeste

Lizzie, your surnames' not Griswald by any chance, is it? ;)

Regards
Marty

Hi All,
I live in Sydney in a Fibro house with corrugated iron roof. I was in my garage doing some DIY stuff and a fella in a Ute pulled in front of my house and intriduced himself as a Roof Painter and asked if I was interested in painting my roof. I said I would be interested but that depends on the Quote. My roof is very old and had a silver metallic paint on it (God knows when it was painted) and the paint was peeling off and in some spots starting to rust.
The guy without climbing the roof said $650 for pressure cleaning and 2 coats of paint. I got his card and promised him to call after consulting my wife. I come to work and ask a few friends if the Quote was reasonable. Everyone I spoke to said that I was mad not to get this done for such a cheap price. I rang the guy and said I would be interested and thought the worst that can happen is he wont do a good job but for that price I was ready to take a chance.
Anyway he turned up and up he went on the roof and started pressuring cleaning the roof and the paint was peeling off in big pieces some of them as big as an A4 size paper. He said in all his life he had never come across such a material painted on the roof. Anyway he could not complete in 1 day because the amount of S**T that came off the old coorugated roof was unbelievable. He had to come the next day and pressure clean the 2nd time and apply 1 coat of paint and came back the 3rd day to finish off the final coat. In the end it was worth every cent and the house looks a lot better now.
I could not have done that myself for that money. Anyone living in Sydney please email me if you are interested in Roof painting and I would reccomend this guy without a doubt.

i tend to avoid any firms that start with the name 'modern', seem too slick for me.

saying that, there is nothing wrong with a tradie having a clean shirt and being well presented, but i prefer the tradie to be giving the quote, not someone reading from a script with a glossy book.

Hi ArunGounder,
Can you please let me know the roof painter contact no., please?

Regards,
Praveen

you realise the initial post was in 2007 Raj???

i tend to avoid any firms that start with the name 'modern', seem too slick for me.

saying that, there is nothing wrong with a tradie having a clean shirt and being well presented, but i prefer the tradie to be giving the quote, not someone reading from a script with a glossy book.

Ha Ha..Add "21st Century" to that list and "Institute" :D

We had a quote from modern recently in an area they they don't have many houses in.

We are getting full roof restoration, new colorbond for an extension, new guttering and downpipes throughout.

We had 3 quotes

2 from Bigger roofing companies and one from a smaller roof plumber. The roof plumber was much cheaper than the other two and the modern guy said i was comparing apples and oranges but basically we spent 3 hours negotiating and came to a price that we were very happy with.

Will be getting the work done in the next few weeks

Back