More doom and gloom. Where does it end?

watching bloomberg this morning , they were talking about 25 % of us homes still under water , and 50% in deliquency rates, "yep" the enite country.:confused

The article makes perfect sense to me. Its just common sense.

Its funny how forum members give great credibility and praise to media articles talking up property but when they are negative every excuse in the world comes out.

Even criticisng the writer, newspaper etc... its actually quite funny to watch.

Just part of the cycle, no?

We had a period of massive growth. And now some doom and gloom. Don't worry about it too much.

Its funny how forum members give great credibility and praise to media articles talking up property but when they are negative every excuse in the world comes out.

You were down playing property a couple of years ago too and I'm glad I took your comments back then with a grain of salt. Made $100K in 2 years by purchasing in early 2009. You were claiming the sky was falling down back then, I see not much has changed.

I do agree however, now is a little different. But even if property fell 10%, I'd still be out in front. :)

Made $100K in 2 years by purchasing in early 2009. .........

Don't you see the double standard here? You are boasting about timing the market yet the common theme on SS is that it is impossible to time the share market and only mugs try.

I'll agree that trends are fairly easy to pick but the timing is much harder, but that is equally true of both investments. If it was easy we'd all be millionaires.

Property goes up. Stops.corrects a bit. goes up again.
Almost sounds like a cycle.
I find it funny that people argue this point when 99% except that this is what happens in propertry. Yes there are variables like the size and timing of the boom and busts but in general its onwards and upwards.
Just have to give it some time.

If your cashflow is razor thin or you have one foot in the grave then sure you should worry more about the short term.
But if you have good cashflow/buffers and time on your side. then its all good.:)

actually it's kinda 50/50 - i can't stand blind bears or stubborn bulls and i know a lot on here are the same.

There'll be doom and gloom for a while. And that's OK. We know property is generally cyclic, and so we're due for it to slow down for a while.

My plan for now is simply to let my property portfolio sit for a while until we have definite signs of another boom starting, which I expect to see sometime after about 2016.

actually Evand what i have noticed is the pro's talk property up when it trending up. one doesnt need a degree to work that one out,
other dump on the upward trend always.... since the average was $100k

Don't you see the double standard here? You are boasting about timing the market yet the common theme on SS is that it is impossible to time the share market and only mugs try.

No, I can't see the double standard and I wasn't boasting about anything. I'm stating the facts. There were several indicators at the beginning of 2009 that the market, at least in Melbourne, was about to boom and it did, however, the usual suspects were playing it down for no particular reason, apart from the same ol', same ol', property prices are too high and they will crash. $100K+ later however...

Property future pricing is not set in concrete. In 5 years, we could be 50% higher, 50% lower or sideways. Anything can happen, and believing current growth will last forever is dangerous territory.

Property future pricing is not set in concrete. In 5 years, we could be 50% higher, 50% lower or sideways. Anything can happen, and believing current growth will last forever is dangerous territory.

which is why i'm currently buying properties that are either neutral or positively geared after depreciation and tax ...

and for those who think there aren't any - just put an offer in yesterday on one in a prime large city location that is negatively geared by (shock horror) $9/wk after all costs (rates, management etc) ... not including tax and depreciation.

Back