Morton Bayside - Brisbane

Does anyone here have any personally experience either PPOR or Investment wise with any bayside suburbs from Wynnum south through to Cleveland. The good, the bad and the ugly?

Im particularly interested in historic sale figures and planned future infrastructures coming online.

Thanks

Hi Rixter.

Just a bit further down the road from Cleveland is Redland Bay ( both suburbs in the Redland Shire). I have 2 I/P's there. Purchased the first one in Sept 01 and the second in Nov 01. Like most of the eastern seaboard, both have had excellent growth, and I've had no problems attracting tenants. There has been a lot of development occurring there since that time.

I actually love the area and intend on relocating there sometime in the not too distant future (probably a few years away).

Sorry the above wasn't specific on the area you requested, but it is very close in proximity.

Regards
Marty

Hey Guys and Gals,
Lived the first 18 years of life in Birkdale, my parents still live there, same house, 3 houses from moreton bay.Its not really beach there its mainly mangroves and mud, but its great to sit out on the rear deck by the pool in summer with the sea breezes blowing in.
They bought the shack and the land (805 sqm) for $5600 in 1973, they then put the shack on stumps and built the rest of the house that still stands today under and around it.
Its probably worth $600,000 today.
I love the area, if only i could convince my Melbourne born wife to move up there one day...... :)
Its got everything you need, transport, cafes, schools, the bay, sporting clubs, shopping centres. i personally love it.

Beautiful Bayside

Hi Rixter,

I have lived and invested in the Wynnum Manly area for the last 15 years. I cannot speak too highly of it. As a place to live it offers a great sense of community with a country town feel 20 odd 20km's from the Brisbane CBD.

Great access to Moreton Bay with plenty of boat ramps and marinas for boat storage. The Queensland Yacht Squadron is located at Manly.

Plenty of good schools both public and private. Moreton Bay Girls School is one of the better girls schools in the state.

Good location for transport. The Cleveland rail line runs through Wynnum & Manly with a choice of 3 stations in Wynnum.

The Gateway Arterial is very close which gives easy access to either the Gold or Sunshine Coast each within less than 90 mins drive.

The Port of Brisbane is within 10 min drive and with the future port expansion giving deep water access and an additional 1.8 km of berthing the area can only grow to provide accommodation for employees.

There are some major plans for the redevelopment of Wynnum central. The development is based around the latest South East Qld Regional Plan with Transport orientated Development. See link below for plans.

Brisbane City Council have also set asside funds for the Foreshare redevelopment which will improve the already well utilised Esplanade area.

Property Prices have increased significantly over the last 10 years. Rental yield is also increasing due to the demand for rental property in the area. My properties take less than a week to re-let and my rents have increased by almost 20% in 2 years.

Properties range in price from $2 M to $300 K. East of the Rail Line is the preferred area being closer to the water.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kissfan, Natedog & especially Bullseye for the detailed replied.

Much appreciated everyone.

With the Morton Bay suburbs being spread over the BCC & Redland Shire does this have any impact from peoples perspectives or do people regard it as still all being in the Brisbane Metropolitan area?

I have had an IP in redland bay since 2002. It has been an absolute headache free investment. Capital growth has been great and the place is NEVER vacant.

One tenant moves out the next moves in within days and I usually have multiple applications. (even though I raise the rent between leases)

Would love to own more property in the area.

Bayside

Hi Rixter,

The beauty of being in a Bayside Suburb is that most people don't consider it to be part of metropolitan Brisbane, hence the small country town feel and the greater sense of community. Many years ago inner suburb residents used to come to Wynnum for thier holidays. Some still believe that the bayside is too far out from the City and many have never jumped in their cars to find out.

Wynnum Manly & Lota fall under Brisbane City Council area. The other areas don't.

The city can be a good 4 degrees warmer in summer and about the same amount cooler in the winter. Inner city friends often need jumpers!

Rixter,

Nothing has started yet. It's still very much in the planning stage. The developers who are all part of the consortium own most of the centre of Wynnum already. One of the major players who owns a substantial amount of real estate here also owns a large construction company. The present Coles supermarket site has DA's in I believe and some small operators on the same block have closed recently to make way for this stage of the redevlopment.

Local Real Estate Agents seem tho think that the major works will happen in a couple of years time.

Thanks Bullseye. Do you know of any other major multi national Retail/Commercial/Industrial sector type businesses planned to move in? Are there any already there?

Rixter,

I don't know of any planning to move into Wynnum Central.

There is a shopping plaza outside of Wynnum itself which is being upgraded at the moment. It already has Woolies & KMart there with another Coles. I'm not sure who else is planning to move into the new areas.

With regard to industrial, the port has substantial industrial land available and there are a few large projects underway out there. The next Wharf project is due out to thender in the next 6 months.

The Gateway Bridge duplication project will commence by the end of the year and will take approx 6 years to complete. This will provide better access to the North side of the river and Airport whilst also improving access to the Port of Brisbane Motorway and the Trade Coast Industrial area which runs along the south side of the River out to the Port.

Hi again Rixter.

According to the Redland Shire report (comes with Rates Notice), their research shows that "over a million new residents will live in our region by 2026 with south-east Qld housing one in seven Australians".

It goes on say that that the Redlands is attractive to people moving to the region due to the proximity to Brisbane City, residential amenity and lifestyle, unique environment and climate, and the fantastic shoreline on Moreton Bay.

Also reports of opening of new library in Victoria Point.

Regards
MaRTY

Guys,
I have an IP in Wakerley - not far from there (Mirvac, Mossvale on Manly Estate).
What is your honest opinion of that area??

Hi Perky,

Wakerly is seeing a huge increase in development. The same developer who has substantial holdings in the Wynnum Manly areas have been doing sub divisions in the area for the last couple of years.

There are a huge number of vacant blocks for sale there at the moment. The area has historically been acreage blocks which are now being split. There is a new small shopping centre on Tilly & Old Clevelend Roads.

The area is sure to grow. The large number of new block in the area will need to be sold off and built on first though. Closer to Capalaba shopping areas than Wynnum. Not as handy for public transport but close to Clevelend Road so good access to Gateway and town.

My preference is for the older Queenslander closer to the bay and not the newer sub divisions, but that's just me. More maintenance and less depreciation offset by more character and more established areas closer to transport.

Hope that helps

Geez, reading all the good stuff about Wynnum/Manly makes me think twice about putting my PPOR up for sale in Manly (see it at realestate.com.au for $329K).

It is a wonderful area. I moved here when I rented a townhouse in Wynnum after migrating up from Melbourne about 8 years ago. I fell in love with the peace and serenity of the bay and promptly bought a block of land in Manly and built my house there (which is now for sale).

But, the area has changed, and I don't agree that it has a country-town feel to it. Not anymore, alas. I remember my first weekend walking along the foreshore from Wynnum to Manly. There were a few cars, a few visitors, and very, very peaceful. Now, the weekends are full of people picnicking along the foreshore and the esplanade is jammed with cars. Even weekdays are no longer peaceful. The number of cafe's has gone from four to seven (and one more on the way). The population has definitely grown and the place is buzzing. All good if you like this sort of thing, but I hanker for peace and am thus looking for an acreage. I work and study from home so I don't need to be close to anything in particular except broadband ;) and nature :D

I just had a look at the local newspaper rental ads in 2002. There were 45 vacancies. The last edition had 12 vacancies. All good signs when it comes to investing here. But give me a home among the gum trees....:)

Hi Scout,

I know what you mean about the number of people who now frequent the foreshore and new eateries in Wynnum and Manly. This to me is an indication that the area is returning to its glory days when the townies used to come out on the train for the weekend. Wynnum used to have 3 cinema's and a theatre! People used to come here to shop as the shops in Bay terrace were better than those in town. This doesn't match the sleepy small country town description I know, the small country town feel is still here though if you participate in schools and other community groups. Local business owners are on first name terms and you are more likly to get good old fashioned service. Neighbours look out for each other, Crime rate is pretty low. There are a few problems with hoons on the Esplanade at night on the weekends but in the most part misdemaeanours are caused by non locals. There is a great mix of people from all types of ethnic background and socio-economic groups. Diversity adds to the feel of the place. I love the place and as a 'New' (15yrs) Australian I have to say it is the best place I have ever called home.

Regards

Bullseye,

You are right about shop keepers knowing you by your first name and neighbours actually daring to talk to each other. I have almost taken this for granted by now. I can pick up parcel deliveries from the Manly post office and I don't even need to pull out an ID, we know each other so well. Not to mention my favourite Adams Deli, where I am greeted with a big broad smile as soon as my shadow crosses the door's threshold, then there are Olivers, Wardy's, Pago Pago.... This was never the case in Melbourne. Yes, in that regard, it has not changed.

Recently I chatted with a long-term resident taxi driver who also blamed the hoons as non-locals. So maybe there is some truth to that. Fortunately I don't live on the esplanade, but I do go for my nightly walks there, and there are times when I wish I had a gun and could legally shoot them.

Increasing population has two sides: one good, the other not so good. It's good if you can benefit from the increase. Wynnum Central seems to have improved a lot since I first set foot in it. Many really trashy streets have been transformed. I no longer see that house west of the railway line with XXXX painted on the roof :). That's a big plus. With the proposed redevelopments of the Wynnum CBD, I hope that that too will lift the demographic profile of the area eventually. The signs for Wynnum/Manly are all on the up-trend.

I'm in Victoria Point, just up from Redland Bay. This area has expanded considerably over the last few years, and is still expanding. Someone else mentioned the new Library about to open here, and we also have a cinema complex being built.

Re property movement, we were selling our IP here last year, and had very little enquiries. But interest jumped just a few months ago, and we sold it recently. I get the feeling that the area is attracting more buyers again.

Reason for sale was Tenants ! We just got fed up, and decided we wanted no more hassle. When you bump into them in the local shopping centres, and you see they are spending up big time, but can't pay the rent, it sort of hits you in the face !

It's interesting that you mention a jump in buyer interest recently. A REA showed me their book of sales for Feb and Mar this year. March sales were practically triple Feb sales. Is this a seasonal thing, I wonder?

Back