mount barker, naire SA , anyone

Hi
I start looking to buy in mount barker/naire in adelaide, anyone please , some advice or idea?? pro & con, much appreciate
thanks heaps
Mjd

It is spelled Nairne btw.

I don't get it. Why would you go to a place with less than 5,000 people in it to spend over $300K on a median priced property that is 40kms away from Adelaide?? When people that live in ADL think that 20 minutes drive to work is too far?

I know builders in North Adelaide that won't drive to South Adelaide to quote on jobs because "its too far away".

Am I missing something? Can't you buy closer in for that kind of money? and at least be near a train, a cafe, a beach or civilisation of some kind?:eek:

It is spelled Nairne btw.

I don't get it. Why would you go to a place with less than 5,000 people in it to spend over $300K on a median priced property that is 40kms away from Adelaide?? When people that live in ADL think that 20 minutes drive to work is too far?

I know builders in North Adelaide that won't drive to South Adelaide to quote on jobs because "its too far away".

Am I missing something? Can't you buy closer in for that kind of money? and at least be near a train, a cafe, a beach or civilisation of some kind?:eek:

Sorry for the typo,
I heard Mount barker is near some mining town, and people now love to stay int the hills, and a lot of developments are on the way, the house is in 300K mark but it's less than 15 years old. I may be wrong, hopefully some adelaide experts can put more input

Sorry for the typo,
I heard Mount barker is near some mining town, and people now love to stay int the hills, and a lot of developments are on the way, the house is in 300K mark but it's less than 15 years old. I may be wrong, hopefully some adelaide experts can put more input

Hi MJD,

For 300K you can easly find properties within 10 kms of the CBD which can be sub-divided. U can buy an apartment in the CBD. Why go so far?

Cheers

FirstMillion, can you find us some examples of sub-dividable blocks within 10km of the CBD in areas that you would actually like to live in? Actually any $300k blocks in any suburb within 10km? I can't think of any suburbs where they are available for $300k that I would invest in.

Mt Barker, now that's a place that lots of Adelaide people are rushing up to live in because of the nice "country" air and it's less than 20min to the city. Plenty of development going on up there that proves the point.

I don't like Nairne as much, it's that extra 5 minutes away from the SE Freeway that keep sthe town so much smaller.

MJD, if the figures stack up then I would seriously look at it. There is plenty of big companies spending money up there and they do their homework really well. Some nice depreciation too by the sounds of it for your particular property of interest.

FirstMillion, can you find us some examples of sub-dividable blocks within 10km of the CBD in areas that you would actually like to live in? Actually any $300k blocks in any suburb within 10km? I can't think of any suburbs where they are available for $300k that I would invest in.

Gools,

I am evaluating properties in Enfield, Blair Athol, Clearview, Windsor gardens, Gilles Plains, Green Acres, Kilburn, Hillcrest etc. Basically north eastern belt between north road and around north east road. All 7-10 kms of the CBD. Don't tell me you would not like to live any of these areas. These areas have experienced a good growth recently.

I hv no experience in Mt. Barker.

Cheers
FM

Last edited:
I don't mind those NE suburbs you mentioned but just can't find any for $300k. Must look harder this weekend (in between watching the F1's from Melbourne!!).

Anyway, back on topic. Here's a pic of the new Homemaker Centre at Mt Barker. Harvey Norman is right in the middle.
800px-

yeah i cant find anything decent with 700 sqm ++ for under 320 with in 10km cbd

Technically it's possible, but very rare and if you do it's an immediate demolition job unless you want to spend many $k on reno. Plus the blocks usually aren't ideal for subdivision ie. only just 16m frontage or even a bit less. From memory I only saw 2-3 in the last year in Enfield & Clearview. It's also a matter of timing and how much competition you have - saw one Aboriginal Housing place fail at auction then bought later for high $200k's, but again - unliveable, and has just been demolished.

Dear Team/MJD

The Adelaide Hills is an amazing place in Adelaide - and a part of Adelaide that I would definately recommend investors look in.

Typical suburbs in this area and associated performance for median house price, growth in past 12months and growth over past 10 years for popular Adelaide Hills suburbs include:

Balhannah $375k, 19.2%, 10.7%
Echunga $286k, -6.1%, 13.9%
Hahndorf $450k, 20.1%, 13.6%
Mount Barker $340k, 17.2%, 13.7%
Nairne $319k, 16%, 12.8%
Woodside $344k, 16.5%, 15%

This has kept in pace with other Adelaide favourites like:

Adelaide $431k, 7.8%, 9.7%
Norwood $600k, 26.3%, 12.5%
Prospect $500k, 22%,13.5%
Unley $620k, 20.2%, 13.2%
Somerton Park $577k,13.8%, 10.1%

Industries that are keeping Adelaide Hills prosperous include Wineries, Food production, Army, Timber Mills etc. The Mount Barker freeway saves significant time on the commute and it takes about 40 mins to get from Woodside to the city. We have also noticed a number of first home buyers buying in Mount Barker to get into the market.

My partner has a vineyard and house up at Woodside Tomich Hill with our own wine label so we know intimately what is happening up in the Adelaide Hills and what value this buying represents. We live up there 1/3 of the year (we are in the middle of Harvest) and we also have a city base in Unley/Norwood to keep in touch with our businesses/properties.

For investors thinking about buying in the Adelaide Hills, I would definately recommend having a look at this area as it is consistently growing well, rents out well and is a growing area of Adelaide starting from a lower base then your 10-20km from Adelaide centre properties which represents great value on purchase.

Hope this is of some help.

Best Wishes

Corsa

Technically it's possible, but very rare and if you do it's an immediate demolition job unless you want to spend many $k on reno. Plus the blocks usually aren't ideal for subdivision ie. only just 16m frontage or even a bit less. From memory I only saw 2-3 in the last year in Enfield & Clearview. It's also a matter of timing and how much competition you have - saw one Aboriginal Housing place fail at auction then bought later for high $200k's, but again - unliveable, and has just been demolished.

Hi Atti, Steve,

there are couple of blocks in Hllcrest, Kilburn and Gilles plains with 17+m frontage, 650 sq mtrs+. I agree with Steve, they are selling like hot cakes. The houses i saw over this weekend are liveable and in god conditions.

Cheers

my house is privately advertised atm but i am not that keen on sellling, i am expecting 300-320 k for my place which is just under 700 at 692 sqm @ woodville north... i think its reasonable price for sub dividable block... i am still shopping around for better deal on agent to sell my house... it may get snaped up quick but i am not sure as its facing empty warehouse only downside but other side of house is facing park/teniscourt/playground... first week i advertised for rent i get massive amount of people wanting to rent 35 +++ lol..

Hi Corsa,
I have been considering what you said about Adelaide Hills, particularly Mt. Barker.
Doing due diligence from interstate, so wondering if you could perhaps help in general with: any areas to avoid in Mt.Barker?
Thanks.

Back