Move the money around; solve the Global Financial Crisis.

From Noel's Newsletter ;o)

Noel Whittaker

It is August. In a small town on the South Coast of France the holiday season is in full swing, but it is raining so there is not too much business happening.

Everyone is heavily in debt.

One day a rich Aussie arrives in the foyer of the small local hotel. He asks for a room and puts a €100 note on the reception counter, takes a key and goes to inspect the room located up the stairs on the third floor.

The hotel owner takes the banknote in a hurry, and rushes to his meat supplier to whom he owes €100.

The butcher takes the money and races to his supplier to clear his debt.

The wholesaler rushes to the farmer to pay €100 for pigs he purchased some time ago.

The farmer triumphantly gives the €100 note to a local prostitute who gave him her services on credit.

The prostitute goes quickly to the hotel, as she owes €100 for her hourly room use to entertain clients.

Just as she hands the owner the cash, the rich Aussie comes back down to reception. He informs the hotel owner that the proposed room is unsatisfactory.

He takes back his €100 and departs.

Sure, there was no retained profit in these transactions, but everyone no longer has any debt, and the people of the small town can look more optimistically towards their future.....

he's a stupid man as he didn't charge them interest for using his money

and those people didn't need his money, they could've just come together put it on a sheet of paper and achieve the same result

an aussie in europe.... it wouldn't be a holiday if he wasn't ripped off

I know the story isn't true tho because in real life the hotel owner would have argued that the room is fine and what does this uncultured australian know anyway and no he can't have the 100 euros back and I can't understand you now get out of my hotel

and those people didn't need his money, they could've just come together put it on a sheet of paper and achieve the same result

....in theory.

if you PROPOSED a scheme like that, people would think you were trying to con them out of $100.

do it physically though, and...well, it's a very different story.

everyone no longer has any debt
But they also don't have any asset in the form of an unpaid account to look forward to. So they don't owe, but they're also not owed.

The most unbelievable part of this story is that the prostitute gave her services on credit. :rolleyes:

GP

if you PROPOSED a scheme like that, people would think you were trying to con them out of $100.

it depends what people you are talking to
we often do it with my mates, as usually we end up owing each other money for various things so we just get together and write off most of it

Back