moving house time ...

we started moving today.

cleaning out hubby's 4 car garage - trying to condense it down to a 2 car (no room for cars!). he is such a horder. was that 5 hand saws i counted (not including 2 band saws, a short saw, a drop saw, a power saw), at least two sledge hammers, five G-clamps, several dozen timber fruit boxes of leftover nails and screws and plumbing bits ... after 5 landcruisers and 6 corollas, is there a hand or power tool he doesn't own? :rolleyes:

really excited to be heading back - but, at the same time, a little disappointed. for some reason the house seems smaller than i remember. but that's probably because there's no furniture in it.

also, after 2+ years of tenants the house is looking rather neglected due to all the little ongoing maintenance stuff not being done (cracks filled and painted, doorknobs tightened etc) and, although the house is tenant clean, it needs a damn thorough, deep, facial lizzie clean (black ring around the toilet button, smeared mirrors, mildew on the window frames etc). nothing worth making a fuss and getting the tenants back over - but it's annoying how they don't do the 'little" stuff properly.

another day of moving tomorrow (and the rest of the week) - all the stuff that i can cart over like ornaments, small furniture items, linen etc as we're paying the removalist an hourly rate - less they have to move the better.

Hi Lizzie,

So you're moving back into a property that used to be your PPOR? It's interesting to hear your thoughts because my wife and I are looking to turn our PPOR into an IP....with the thought of moving back in a few years time.

It must be tough though...renting out a place to tenants who don't treat the house the same as you would.

It must be tough though...renting out a place to tenants who don't treat the house the same as you would.

We rented our PPoR, and then renoed to sell it after the tenants moved out. They treated it quite well, but wear and tear occurs where there are little kids.

You move on from one PPoR to the next I've found.

It becomes just another house. We are about to start building PPoR no.5.

it's more the minor wear and tear that, as an owner, you'd maintain or clean as you went along - nothing that tenants would contact the landlord about - but it does give the house an air of shabby neglect and some things just don't work as they should.

also, having not beent here for 2+ years, and having done a reno in between (nice new kitchen, bathrooms etc) i got used to having a nice new reno'd house ... the ppor still needs it's 20yr old kitchen done. bathrooms were done just before we left, but after 2 years of tenants they don't "look" new anymore.

on the bright side - i walked in and "wow" the light, the sun, the views, the quiet ... it will all come together when we get our big furniture in, get my artworks up and i give the place a damn good clean.

Moving always is stressful but so much better when it's done with choices and ownership than tenants renting and evicted with little control or to look forward to .

Moving is classified as one if the top stressors

Good luck!

after 6 moves in 12 years, it's pretty old hat.

athough, in the early days we used to hire the truck and do it all ourselves. nowadays i'm more than happy to potter the little stuff and pay for the big stuff.

nothing worth making a fuss and getting the tenants back over - but it's annoying how they don't do the 'little" stuff properly.
Get some wogs in next time.. I still laugh every time I hear of family members spending hours scrubbing the bathroom/kitchens/parts of house that are going to be extracted and replaced/renovated.
Seriously auntie, I really don't think the builders who are ripping out your old bathroom will care if the grout isn't completely white!

letter to tenant

dear tenant

running the vacuum cleaner over the skirting boards to pick up 2 years of dust does not work. as your knees are significantly younger than mine, please get down on them and wipe the dust off next time.

thank you
landlord

p.s. for some reason i cannot see thru the oven door glass. did you remember to clean it?

p.p.s. when you splatter your drink down the wall, can you please clean it up.

Weather alert !! Here comes Lizzie the white tornado :eek:

I know what you mean Liz, some people just can't be bothered, used to visit a friends place where we would quietly rinse our mugs before having coffee :confused:

Back