Moving house

Hi,

My first coffee lounge thread.

I'm moving today. 90% packed. 10% to go before the removalist shows at 1pm. Hubby and I have both been working full time as well. Truly over it!

Stress has stopped me from sleeping more than 4hrs the last 2nights.

We do this nearly every 2years since I met my husband and I hate it more each time. How do people do this and stay sane?

Any moving/unpacking tips welcome. Tell your own moving story!

At least the house we are moving into is much larger.

Kassy

I moved 5 times in the last 8 years -from smaller apartments to bigger apartments though, so might not be as daunting as having a house.

I'm not sure I can give tips. The day we decide we're going to move, we start packing. Also start throwing /donating things. We store things every night bit by bit.

We divide the work. I store my area of the place, hubby does his. I find list of removalist, he arrange the dates and time. I called the gas and electricity to cancel accounts, along with internet and post redirection.
Hubby usually take one day off to get items moving and to unpack on the next place.

Get a cleaner to clean the previous house, a hell lot easier!

Once I was moving from a share house into my own flat. My flatmate had already moved out, so it was just me. The removalist arrived, a few of my friends & I had used him before, his truck looked dodgy, you know, hand painted with house paint & the name of the company written wonkily on the side. He usually turned up with a young guy who spoke no English but he was cheap, fast and always did a good job.

All was going well, just the mattress to get into the truck. Bedroom was on the top floor so they were lowering the mattress over the balcony. He had his mate hold it while he ran downstairs to catch it. Off he went, straight through the plate glass window. F**k! blood & glass everywhere. His hand looked pretty bad so wrapped it up in a tea towel then helped his mate get the mattress down. Decided his hand needed to be seen by a Dr so chucked him in my car, the mate didn't have a licence & took him up to the medical centre. By this time he's looking a little pale, very strange looks when explaining 'no, we're not married, he's my removalist!'. Dr took one look at it & said "Hospital!" She bandaged it properly & off we went. They took him in straight away & the Dr came back to tell me he needed surgery on his hand.

At this point it was clear that he was not going to be able to finish the move!! So I went back home, mate still there. Rang about 20 removalist companies but no love. By this time it's 3pm so I organised a couple of my friends but couldn't find a truck to hire F********K! Also had to arrange for someone to replace the door so that was sorted for the morning.

Removalist calls, he's about to go into surgery but promises he'll be there at 7am with 2 mates to finish the move.

The truck was parked in the middle of the street, with all my life's possessions in it & can't be locked! I went to the hardware store & bought a couple of padlocks, rang the cops to let them know why there was a truck parked in the middle of the street then to the bottlo for a well deserved bottle of wine. By this point I was giggling at the ridiculousness of it all.

Dude turned up at 7 the next morning & it was all done by 10am. Bless him hand bandaged up like you would not believe.

Starting to gear up for my first move in 10 years. Not looking forward to it already done 3 trips to tip and that was just the shed. Moved in with one ute load and a single trip with car.

11 moves in the last 15 years - you'd think I had it down pat by now ... actually ... I pretty much have it down pat.

Hoping to stay in the current house longer than the average 18 months (just over that now), but that doesn't stop us from looking.

Hi,
We do this nearly every 2years since I met my husband and I hate it more each time. How do people do this and stay sane?

Any moving/unpacking tips welcome. Tell your own moving story!

At least the house we are moving into is much larger.

Kassy

Interesting you move so often, is it related to work?

My advice would be to ditch everything you don't need, and keep a couple of boxes. Once you arrive in a new location, put all the stuff you don't immediately need in the boxes. At the end of one year, get rid of the boxes and anything still in them

I have worked as a part time removalist offsider. Done about 12 removals. My advice is keep clear! Keep kids and pets and everything else out da way!

I remember one lady was trying to dust the fridge as it was getting rolled out lol. Not on, clean it the day before.

Being the driver of the getaway car doesn't count ;)

lol. Apart from the cash in hand it was all honest..err..except also for the expensive vase I once cracked into two pieces.

The driver distracted the owners for a few minutes while I snuck the vase into the house and hid it behind the lounge lol:eek:

Back