Moving into an investment property - tax implications

Hi, I think I am safe but I wanted to get a confirmation from people on this board.

I have a house in QLD I am thinking of making my PPOR. Its been an investment property for 3 and a half years. I am in Sydney and I lived in my own PPOR back in 2007 for 6 months (to get the grant) but since then made it an investment property and have rented ever since.

Now I am thinking of moving into this house in QLD. Is there any tax implications for me? I dont think so as the 6 year rule doesnt apply to me.

The only negative thing could be paying down the mortgage and at some point turning it into a rental property and having the interest rate tax deduction lowered because I have since paid alot of the principal off, however, I have an offset account and can always just move funds around.

Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

QLD Property will be subject to partial cgt on sale.

Calculated as

total capital gain x (number of days rented out / number of days owned)

eligible for cgt discount of 50% is held more than 12 months

Thanks Mike.

Ok so there is a capital gains but only at the time of a sale correct? No tax implications for me next financial year when I do my tax return? And no other implications if it reverts back to a rental property after, say, 3 years?

With your formula there, dont understand how that works...

eg 50,000 * (1000/1000) = $50,000. According to the formula I would have to pay the entire $50,000 to the tax man or is that the amount that is taxable?

The amount of the capital gain is worked out and added to your income for the tax year in which the contract to sell the property is signed.
Marg

- What you've suggested about paying down the property is one tax issue, but as you said using an offset account is the way to go to avoid said issue.

- Capital gains tax on eventual sale of both properties are some tax implications
(If its been more than 6 years since living in your "first home" than CGT will be payable on its eventual sale)

I have recently learnt that the costs of maintainance when the property is a PPOR can all be used to increase the cost base, thus reducing CGT payable.

See link with links http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1090462

Back