moving to brisbane...plezzzz help

hi all can u please help me? i am moving to brisbane,and wanting to know a good suburbs for my family and good schools,people have told me don't go south...and head north...can someone please help...

Going to be a bit difficult without knowing a few more parameters...... and your understanding of "good"

eg.
Demographics?
Crime rates?
Distance to CBD?
Price?

Cheers,

The Y-man

ok..about 10 to 20 klm radius....safe enviroment,freindly, parks,private or cathlic schooling,,,and i will be renting first,my buget is 500-800 a week...thanks

Apartment, unit, house (i.e. how many bedrooms?)

You might want to check www.realestate.com.au with your criteria, and see what sort of suburbs you come up with.

Then maybe throw a few at the forum for thoughts?:)

Cheers,

The Y-man

ok..about 10 to 20 klm radius....safe enviroment,freindly, parks,private or cathlic schooling,,,and i will be renting first,my buget is 500-800 a week...thanks
IHMO.
Marina with a rental budget in that range and if you want the private
schools then West End,New Farm,or anywhere from Salisbury into
Yeronga, Dutton Park, Moorooka,Tarragindi on the inner southside
are good area's close to parks,good transport,Hospital's Yeronga
is a very safe private undervalued along the river...

good luck williar.........

Last edited:
Suburbs I really liked in Brisbane were Chappell Hill and Indoorpilly. Very nice! seemed like good family areas, nice big houses and close to the city.

IHMO.
Marian with a rental budget in that range and if you want the private
schools then West End,New Farm,or anywhere from Salisbury into
Yeronga, Dutton Park, Moorooka,Tarragindi on the inner southside
are good area's close to parks,good transport,Hospital's Yeronga
is a very safe private undervalued along the river...

good luck williar.........

thank you so much....keep them in mind..

Wow, halve your budget and come to Salisbury.

You won't look back.

Fantastic schools, both state and catholic, and easy access to the city via highway.

asy :D

It may also depend on your family- their ages and needs. If you're coming with a partner, is there any special requirement?

I've lived in Brissy on both northside and south, and don't know what all the fuss is over one vs the other. Snobbery value, perhaps?

For that money there are so many suburbs to consider that have everything you're after. Bulimba (Bulimba, Balmoral, Norman Park, Hawthorne) area is lovely, close to many good schools and you can catch a ferry to the city if you so desire. Hamilton area is also worth considering and is also handy to the city, good schools and airport.

Paddington, Red Hill locales pretty with lots of cute little workers cottages and rambling Queenslanders, with a real cafe feel. Further out The Gap represents good value for money rental wise and lots of more modern family homes......

The list could go on forever, but you really need to try to narrow it down a little more by giving us specifics. How old are your children? How close do you need to be to the CBD? What are your transport requirements? etc etc

Good luck with the move, by the way. Brisbane is a fantastic place to live :)

I think the high side of Chelmer, Graceville, Sherwood areas are hard to beat but Ashgrove and Bardon areas also are great areas for what you seem to be looking for.

I've lived in Brissy on both northside and south, and don't know what all the fuss is over one vs the other. Snobbery value, perhaps?

For that money there are so many suburbs to consider that have everything you're after. Bulimba (Bulimba, Balmoral, Norman Park, Hawthorne) area is lovely, close to many good schools and you can catch a ferry to the city if you so desire. Hamilton area is also worth considering and is also handy to the city, good schools and airport.

Paddington, Red Hill locales pretty with lots of cute little workers cottages and rambling Queenslanders, with a real cafe feel. Further out The Gap represents good value for money rental wise and lots of more modern family homes......

The list could go on forever, but you really need to try to narrow it down a little more by giving us specifics. How old are your children? How close do you need to be to the CBD? What are your transport requirements? etc etc

Good luck with the move, by the way. Brisbane is a fantastic place to live :)

HI AND THANK YOU FOR THE INFO....MY KIDS ARE 10-6 A TODDLER AND NEWBORN ...HUSBAND WILL BE IN THE VALLEY...I THINKING OF A 10 TO 15 KLMS RADIUS...WATERVIEWS IF POSSIBLE...TRANSPORT IS NOT A PROBLEM...

i recently visited brisbane for about the 10th time.
as a non-biased outsider, the only place id live is 'bayside'. its like you are on holiday, and the houses are actually brick in many parts. kangaroo point, manly, and some suburb starting with W which i cant remember the name of.
its a funny old place brisbane i reckon....who could live in a place that doesnt rain in winter, where you dont lock your house, where it buckets rain in summer, that doesnt have a proper beach, or where you walk around in a wooden house. very strange i reckon. obviously 2million or so people disagree...i just find the place a little 'odd' :confused:

i recently visited brisbane for about the 10th time.
as a non-biased outsider, the only place id live is 'bayside'. its like you are on holiday, and the houses are actually brick in many parts. kangaroo point, manly, and some suburb starting with W which i cant remember the name of.
its a funny old place brisbane i reckon....who could live in a place that doesnt rain in winter, where you dont lock your house, where it buckets rain in summer, that doesnt have a proper beach, or where you walk around in a wooden house. very strange i reckon. obviously 2million or so people disagree...i just find the place a little 'odd' :confused:

The 'W' place is Wynnum.... 20 yrs ago it was an unrealised bayside dump. Now it is a trendsetters haven with ever increasing property values to match.

I grew up in and around Brisbane and have lived Southside (Rochedale, Underwood, Carina, Belmont) and Northside (The Gap, Enoggera, Albany Creek, Boondall). For 500-800 week, you would not live in any of those suburbs I mentioned unless you wanted 2 houses side by side with your budget. That kind of budget will get you into the inner suburbs around Toowong, Clayfield, Kelvin Grove, Paddington, Hamilton in the north or Wynnum, Manly bayside or Hawthorne, Bulimba East Brisbane across the river to the south.

Your choice is huge, and all these suburbs I would live in with my family in an instant.

Good luck

Last edited:
If your after waterviews take a look at the Wynnum-Manly area.
It is 13k's from the city (as the crow flies), about a 30 min drive into the city, it has a couple of catholic schools as well as some private.
There is a large shopping centre heading out of wynnum as well as a whole stack of shops and a couple of supermarkets in Wynnum Central.
There is a park that stretches several k's along the forshore, a great way to enjoy the weekend, check it out on google earth.
The suburbs that make up Wynnum-Manly are Wynnum West, Wynnum North, Wynnum Central, Manly, Manly West, Lota, postcodes 4178 and 4179.

There is a park that stretches several k's along the forshore, a great way to enjoy the weekend, check it out on google earth.

Even better (well easier may be?) is http://maps.google.com No software download and install. Search an address from your browser and have either street maps, satelite photo, or hybrid (satelite photo with street map overlay).

Back