Moving to Canberra

This may be an unusual question, however I trust many would be able to answer.

I am considering moving to Canberra, and this includes of course sell my home in Sydney and buy over there. When I am interested in discussing the RE aspect of the move, I would also welcome other's opinions and their own experience of life in the ACT.

Are there Sydney expatriates living in Canberra? Which one are the good suburbs?

I would be looking in the $500k price range for a house in the city or alternatively some acreage not too far out.

I welcome your thoughts and when obviously likes and dislikes are subjective, I value your opinions in favour and against.

Thanking you in anticipation. :)

Marc

I have spent a number of years in Sydney, as well as in Canberra. When I was single, I couldn't wait to get out of Canberra and back to Sydney- the social life for a single person then was hard to find, and I really didn't like the winters (living in a very badly designed house, eneergy wise, didn't help).

I lived in Sydney for a number of years, and really enjoyed it. I met my wife, we lived in England for a few years, and then came back to Sydney. MrsW really didn't like it- the humidity especially- so when a job came up in Canberra, we moved.

I found that, with a family, Canberra is an excellent place. There's a lot of very good facilities, and it's very easy to get around- with a car! The private schools are nowhere near the cost of the equivalent schools on Sydney, and there's lots of opportunities for sports and other events for the children.

I'd suggest that perhaps you could investigate keeping your place in Sydney and letting it out- it may be worth while to keep an asset like that going.

When you look at real estate in Canberra, there's really only one website- www.allhomes.com.au - some of the most comprehensive information for any RE website in Australia.

And of course, there's a great Subway in Belconnen :D

Reactions: Muz
Thank you guys, and yes, I have still kids in school.

One thing that no website nor RE agent will be able to comunicate is the knowledge of which one are the "good" suburbs and wich one to be avoided.

When I first arrived Sydney in 1988, I had a mental map of my City of origin with the different social strata and their corresponding lable.
However to be able to build a new map with similar lables for Sydney prooved difficult. Very difficult, in fact it prooved almost impossible to put the necessary questions into words without rising an eyebrow or two. In time I learned.
I would like an accelerated basic course for Canberra.

Where do you buy if you have money?
Where do people with money live?

:D

Marc1,

Sales/price data for suburbs, if you are interested in more detail to compare other properties in a street/suburb...

http://www.propertyguide.com.au/stats/act

Marc1 where will you be working ? that would make it easier for us down here to give some feedback on schools/facilities/sporting/shops & properties in general work area etc

Geoff

Hi Marc,

Some years back I moved from Sydney to Canberra, specifically because it was such a wonderful place to bring up and educate the kids.

I have always lived in 'Big Apple' cities . . . JHB - NY - SYD; however I fell in love with Canberra and it still remains my fav Aus city.

I moved back to Sydney only because I started the MF company, and it would have been untenable to staff it in the ACT.

Please come by and visit me in Nth Sydney if you wish and I will give you much insught regarding your questions.

Regards,
Steve

I reckon Canberra's a fantastic place. I try to get up there a few times a year to see the Kangas in action at Manuka Oval. I'll drop in for a footlong next time.

Marc1 where will you be working ? that would make it easier for us down here to give some feedback on schools/facilities/sporting/shops & properties in general work area etc

Oops I missed that bit.
Ok that is a hypothetical of course.
I would be transferring to one of the government departments be it Centrelink, ATO, DEST, Defence. My wife is a GP so will be looking for a partnership in a local medical centre or family practice. One girl in year 8, another aged 25 is a lab technician working for a state hospital would transfer to your local hospital, has already a job offer but is not game to lead the charge.

What is best? to buy a nice house inner north, say Campbell and thereabouts or buy acreage say going out of town via Northborn, seen some nice places there...or would you look somewhere else? To be able to live on a farm and work in town so ridiculously close sounds ideal.

It's a bit difficult- the departments you mention are in different areas over Canberra. ATO has divisions based in different locations as well. Thay can be 20km apart- but it will only take 20 minutes to drive.

Living on a farm- well, that's a lifestyle choice. It is possible, and many people do it- but some who have done it have moved back into the city sa well. It's more difficult just to pop in to get milk or a newspaper, and it can be especially difficult for a girl in year 8. And don't forget the rising petrol prices.

What about school for your daughter? Did you want a good private school, or would you prefer a government school? You may wish to plan your location around a school, and use that to determine where you're looking for a job.

Spend some time looking around- and perhaps even plan on renting for a while to get a feel for what the various suburbs are like.

Marc
I lived in Pearce, Forrest and Hughes when I lived in Canberra for 12 years (then found sunny Brisbane, it's yummmmmmy).

That general locale is handy to many areas. Hughes for example is near the big Woden shopping centre, there is a big high school and Woden Valley Hospital. Woden is a centre for public transport. There is also the opportunity to get reasonable size blocks in Hughes.

The Howard government is highly centralist and Canberra will remain a growth area for a long time.

I think you are better of selling and buying on the same market, but maybe renting will offset the risk of not liking Canberra for some reason. :D

marc1

You did ask for the pros and cons. Now for the possibly contentious bits:

1) there is not much for young people to do in Canberra;

2) it is a company town. Sure not EVERYone works in the PS, but they do derive income from it (this could be the attraction for you though);

3) too bland, not enough variety in daily living (explains the exodus on the Friday nite flights and for holidays); and

4) it is hard on a spouse if not working at least part-time. The chateau collapsible in the fridge could beckon. :eek:

Many people love Canberra but it helps if you are more of an 'inland' person and you have pay TV.

I liked my time in Canberra but someone has a lot to answer for creating a public service town. Yeah I know, there are service industries etc etc and contractors are not really public servants (just ex-PS :p ).

OK you can turn the turrets this way now, however marc did ask for subjective comments and it is not all peaches and cream in the ACT. :p

Lplate said:
Marc
I lived in Pearce, Forrest and Hughes when I lived in Canberra for 12 years (then found sunny Brisbane, it's yummmmmmy).

That general locale is handy to many areas. Hughes for example is near the big Woden shopping centre, there is a big high school and Woden Valley Hospital. Woden is a centre for public transport. There is also the opportunity to get reasonable size blocks in Hughes.

Forrest is nice, close to Manuka, but I doubt $500k would go far. Red Hill is overpriced for what it is and you can't walk to Manuka (or anything really).

I agree Hughes is good, as is neighbouring Garran (where I used to live). From either it's a short bus trip to Civic and Woden. If you're lucky, you might just get something modest for $500k in either of those two.

Suburbs like Farrar and Pearce are further out and have less public transport. But both are close to Southland.

Reid is dear and close to Civic. But it's not near big shopping centres like Woden or Belconnen. For slightly less the inner north (eg Ainslie) has lovely old houses on big blocks and are handy to the shops at Dickson.

Cook and Aranda are near bushland, so are good if you go walking behind Black Mtn. Both are also not far from Belconnen and Civic.

Peter

This may or may not be important but
Are you aware that you would not be buying a property , just buying a lease. For a family I think it is an excellent place to raise a family with excellent facilities......there must be a 1000 km of bike paths by now.

Spiderman

Your assessments of the suburbs are good. But I think Canberra locations are different from Sydney locations. In Sydney, many people tend to work in CBD/North Sydney/Chatswood/Parramatta- and can get to any of these places by public transport.

In Canberra, people tend to drive a lot more, so proximity to work or school becomes more important- especially with petrol prices now. I'd suggest to marc that he finds his general area for work/school/medical practice location first, and then try to find a house within striking distance after that.

ggumpshots

Your point is a very good one, and it raises another possibility. Because you are buying a lease (for up to 99 years), the stamp duty on an investment property is deductible in the year in which it is incurred. A number of people buy an ACT property, let it out for a year or so, and then claim the stamp duty in full in the first year. They then move in to make it a PPOR.

marc1 said:
Lease?
What happens after 99 years?

The ACT government was talking about the idea of turning all 99 year leases into 999 year leases some time ago. Not sure what happened as a result.

I am not sure what happens when the 99 years are up but there are some properties in Canberra that will be getting towards 99 years.

I concur with everything everybody has said. Inner south and inner north are the better (more exclusive) areas and you should be able to pick something up for $500k but it will not be a mansion.

As GeoffW said, it all depends on where you will be working and your kids will be going to school. Canberra has satelite cities/zones (Tuggeranong, Woden, Civic, Belconnen & Gunghalin) with Civic being in the middle. All of the Zones have large shopping complex's, schools, etc

There are some rural areas (Hall, Wamboin, Murrenbateman, Bywong, Royalla, Burra ..) around canberra within 30 - 40 minutes drive however you may not get much for $500k unless it is under 5 acres.

Good luck

Canberra is very nice, just a little on the quite end, my in laws live in Gangalin and I tell ya the place is exploding with new estates shopping cenres, major retailers ect.. Not a bad place..

Back