Multi-unit property with no body corporate

Hello all,
Total noob here (yes, another one). About to dip our toes into the property investment waters. Have learnt bucketloads from this site over a couple of years of lurking, so thank you all very much indeed. I have a question, however, that I don't think I've seen come up before.
We've found a villa unit in inner Melbourne that we're interested in buying. It's one of five on the block and will be sold tonight (boardroom auction set up). My concern is that, according to the Sec 32, there is no body corporate for the block. This is the wording from the contract:
9.1 The Purchaser acknowledges that there is no Operative Owners Corporation in relation to the common property for xxxx. The Vendor has made
Endeavours to the have the Owners Corporation (Formally Body Corporate) established and other owners have declined to do so.
9.2 The Purchaser acknowledges that the Vendor solely holds Public Liability Insurance on behalf of the Owners Corporation to the amount of $20million for the common property, details of which are provided in the Section 32 Vendor Statement attached to this contract. The Purchaser shall, if required to do so in writing, use her best endeavours to assist the purchaser by arranging an assignment of the said policy.
9.3 The Purchaser agrees not to make any claim for compensation or otherwise against the vendor for any alleged failure to comply with any requirements under the Owners Corporation Act and/or Sale of Land Act.
Should we be concerned? Should we run a mile?
All answers gratefully received.

We had a similar situation when selling our unit - luckily our neighbour agreed!

My understanding is that an owner's corp certificate must be issued for the transaction, or there may be penalties etc (this is what 9.3 is one about).
Five is a tough one - you can activate the OC if you have 25% share - but in this case it is 20%.

9.2 is saying that the new owner will be liable to pay the common property public/liability insurance (we own a unit in the block of 4 - we have to split between 3 of us, as one unit won't come to the party and want to be freeloaders)

More info at:
http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA25...+&+Units~&3=60-New+laws+for+bodies+corporate~

I would avoid... especially for your first one. There is an opportunity to negotiate the price right down, but it does have running risks.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Ah.
Thanks for the response. I suspect that there will be no opportunity to negotiate the price down, as such (given the market and the marketing). It's allegedly a private sale, but the agent has called for everyone to attend their office at 6pm tonight and they're going to take best bids - asking $325,000 now, with interest, according to the agent (FWIW) at $322,000. I suspect it's going to go for more like $335,000. Maybe we'll give it a miss after all.
thanks again for your input.

Back