My daughter was at the receiving end of a racist attack

There is certainly an element of underlying racism around as well as the more overt kind but it's not something that only one race is guilty of.

We probably see a bit more of it amongst Australians because there are more of them about and it's who we spend more time with day to day.

Over time I've been in contact with a varied mix of nationalities and immigrants and can claim that on a day to day comparison I have seen just as much, if not more race 'hate' generated towards the Europeans and Australians, and have myself been called a white c*** on a few occasions, or been treated very disrespectfully because I am a white female.

Have had great experiences with overseas doctors generally but one, an Iraqi doctor, I had no choice but to report because of the dangerous work environment he had created by not communicating with me - would turn his head and flick his hand at me when I spoke.

He was apparently doing similar elsewhere (and he was useless) so got the flick himself in the end:D.

There are also groups of newcomers to this country preaching hate to their masses via their mosques and over the internet, yet this is rarely spoken about for fear of being branded racist or because that would be tarring everyone with the same brush :rolleyes:.

If we can single out one group then we should be able to single out everyone.

Everybody, everywhere like their own kind.
Be it same street, town, state, country, language, skin colour or whatever.
It's nothing to d with racism.
Most people don't even know what a "race" is or means.
Italian, jewish, aussie, dark/light skin are not races.

So you're saying it's ok to abuse teenage girls?

Where did i say that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard an interesting experience with "reverse" racism yesterday. A friend runs a business where a small specific group of members of the public come and go on a daily basis, and bring their children.

There was one woman - who is married to an Indonesian and has two small kids. Husband is lovely, kids are little sh**s.

This woman is a terrible gossip - lovely to the face but nasty behind the back - to everyone. After nearly a year of getting worse and worse she was asked to leave the group and not come back.

Next thing she flinging off at everyone that they treat her like this because her kids are black - that none of the other kids play with hers because they are racist pigs - blah blah blah blah.

Everyone was stunned - not a single person really noticed that her kids were part Indonesian - they were just kids - and the other 3-5yrs olds certainly didn't notice any difference - just that they weren't nice to play with.

The sad part is that if these kids grow up expecting every slight to be part of racism - then they will see (and claim) racism in everything.

Watched a tv show last night.Asians were getting their eyes, nose,chins altered. Some have dimples installed.
It was so they looked more Australian.

Other darker skinned woman were getting their skin bleached. Back in their "home countries" they were treated like princesses, because they were lighter, but in Australia, they weren't, even after their skin was lightened.

They were complaining that they wanted to look more Australian which was blonde, blue eyes, dimples, and white. All models were like this. (since when?)

It seems they are racist against themselves, more than anything.
What does that teach their children, who will still be born with this skin color and features? I could see if they had buck teeth or protruding ears, to have that fixed.Eye shape and skin color is something completely different.

It always amazes me, when a child is born to bi-racial parents, they seem to always identify withselves the darker skinned parent.Why?

I saw the program.

The girls who were born in Australia with one or two Asian parents always felt out of place. They were never regarded as being truly Aussie.

And there were those from overseas who wanted to fit in with a more generic or international idea of "beauty", one which has been fed by the media.

A child with biracial parents will have trouble with the parent who is different from the culture in which they live.

My daughter doesn't like some of the features she has from her mother, and wants to change them- they are features which make her stand out in Australia.

But even in Latin America, whiteness is valued, and people with darker skins are treated as inferior. Even in countries where 90+% have darker skins to some extent. Blonds were treated like princesses in those countries. There were times when my daughter was treated like dirt.

There are other places where different sorts of surgery are popular. In Colombia, it's backside enhancements. Apparently it's quite incredible the number of big female butts. Many women with not a lot of money see marriage to a rich foreigner as their only way out of the poverty cycle, and plastic surgery- not just butts- is extremely common.

I saw the program.

The girls who were born in Australia with one or two Asian parents always felt out of place. They were never regarded as being truly Aussie.

And there were those from overseas who wanted to fit in with a more generic or international idea of "beauty", one which has been fed by the media.

A child with biracial parents will have trouble with the parent who is different from the culture in which they live.

My daughter doesn't like some of the features she has from her mother, and wants to change them- they are features which make her stand out in Australia.
But even in Latin America, whiteness is valued, and people with darker skins are treated as inferior. Even in countries where 90+% have darker skins to some extent. Blonds were treated like princesses in those countries. There were times when my daughter was treated like dirt.

That is such a shame. How does your wife feel about that?
I assume you must have liked them, or you wouldn't have married her.

When I first arrived in Australia, 11 years ago, what I thought Australia was going to be like, is nothing like what I encountered.

That is such a shame. How does your wife feel about that?
I assume you must have liked them, or you wouldn't have married her.

When I first arrived in Australia, 11 years ago, what I thought Australia was going to be like, is nothing like what I encountered.
It's a real shame that she thinks that the appearance is so important. She's a lovely looking young lady- both my daughters are, in my unbiased opinion- but I told her yesterday that any man who puts importance on the way she looks is missing the most beautiful part of her.

My wife has never been made to feel any different in Australia for her features. It's something that happens in schools unfortunately.

In countries where my daughter has spent time, people are not very used to people from other countries. The only foreigners they see are tourists, and most have probably never worked, lived or studied with somebody from a non hispanic country. They will openly point at Asians.

White people are generally upper class, often descended from the early invaders, darker skinned people come from the indigenous poorer class.

Husband is lovely, kids are little sh**s.

.......they were just kids - and the other 3-5yrs olds certainly didn't notice any difference - just that they weren't nice to play with.

The sad part is that if these kids grow up expecting every slight to be part of racism - then they will see (and claim) racism in everything.

Children can be extremely judgemental towards one another. The schoolyard situation is pretty miserable for some ethnic kids, particularly those who are small sized and unable to stand their ground. Some feel a sense of self loathing to the point of wanting to change their skin color. Former Senator Bill O'Chee remarked in the Senate a few years ago that school recess was a dreaded time for him as a child - thats when the bullying would begin; teachers turned a blind eye to it.

As for anyone who believes racism does not exist, consider the case of 53 year old Gong Ling Tang, a Chinese national who was never charged with anything but died in Police custody. Watch the video that the Coroner released, despite Vic Police protestations. Decide for yourselves if this man was a violent or dangerous fellow. Far from it, in addition to being very sick, he was scared witless and soiled himself - something that made the arresting Policewoman fall over herself in laughter. Although he did not have a criminal record or history, he was arrested because the local cops had nothing to do with their time. Released shortly afterwards because there was nothing he could be charged with. Died in the rain, outside the police station. RIP.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/coroner-releases-cctv-video-of-gong-ling-tang-20131122-2xzzz.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Over time I've been in contact with a varied mix of nationalities and immigrants and can claim that on a day to day comparison I have seen just as much, if not more race 'hate' generated towards the Europeans and Australians, and have myself been called a white c*** on a few occasions, or been treated very disrespectfully because I am a white female.

A while ago I saw an Aboriginal chap ask a white guy in a suit for some money near the bus interchange in Canberra. The white guys says "no, sorry mate" after which the Aboriginal guys screams back "then f*** you ya white c***", and the white guy turns back and says to him "that's why I didn't give you anything".

Racism is sad, and made all the worse because it exists in so many different directions.

All you can do is take people as you find them, accepting that some are good, some are bad, and plenty are somewhere in between. And race has nothing to do with that.

Repeated for emphasis:

Its obvious that 90% of Aussies are not racist. Sadly, its the low IQ bottom 10% (and their defenders) who embarrass us all.

Our international reputation is in tatters, no small thanks to the flag waving so-called patriots who are so intent on "defending" our great country.

Its a crying shame, a national disgrace, when ethnic kids are accosted in the street and called names.

Nobody tells rape victims to toughen up or to dress more demurely. Telling victims of racism to "toughen up" does not improve the "deep-south" mentality that afflicts a minority of Aussies.

Last edited:
Our international reputation is in tatters.
I don't know where this mindset comes from.

When I lived in the USA, not only did the Yanks have little knowledge about Australia, they didn't even know where it is - in many cases we found this.

Seriously; the world doesn't care too much about us; only us who thinks we are more important than we are.

Generally though; the folks who knew a bit about Aus tended to be quite happy to associate with us, and they tended to only think we had kangaroos down the main street, and the beaches were full of sharks, and the rest of the country was over-run by spiders and snakes.

And finally; I could not give a rats about what the rest of the world thinks of us.

If you don't like us; stay home.

Nobody tells rape victims to toughen up or to dress more demurely. Telling victims of racism to "toughen up" does not improve the "deep-south" mentality that afflicts a minority of Aussies.
Slight difference; one is an attack on the body and physical injury.

The other is just words, and we can react to words however we like.

I've been called everything under the sun, and it's really just what another person verbalises.

It doesn't need to have any effect on you...unless you let it.

My experience is that anyone who comes here and gets involved in life here, will be received with open arms...

And as for those few idiots who say the nasty things; rise above because they are ignorant idiots and we must make allowances and move on.

Getting into a dispute with them is similar to arguing with a drunk...pointless.

Australia has been criticised in the past- fairly- for its race based immigration policy. But I hadn't realised until recently that Canada only repealed all race based immigration laws in 1967.

Back