My daughter was at the receiving end of a racist attack

Hiya

So, precious daughter (age 14) comes back quite unsettled....apparently she was happily walking and chatting with her friends, one Indian and one Chinese when 3 young "tradie" types walked past and hissed "get out of our country":eek:

My daughter is a "halfie"; ie what her friends call in friendly half jest: half Chinese and half Caucasian...

Recovering from her shock, she then proceeded to give them the beady eye and up shot her rude finger:eek:

When Mum heards she applauds :D go girl!

But Dad comes home in the evening and proceeded gently to tell her she has done the wrong thing blah blah blah...

What is your take???
she should have AK-47ed the bejeezus out of the Neanderthals.

But seriously; those sort of folk are like drunks - impossible to have a sensible argument with them, and to respond is to encourage them more.

The best response is to treat them with all the respect they deserve by simply pretending they don't exist...because they don't.

They are stupid dinosaurs.

Yeah they wouldn't say it to a six foot 4 male Maori would they. Gutless wonders. From a security point of view the teenage girls should ignore them and keep walking.
I wouldn't waste my energy on the drop kicks .

UGH! I feel for you having gone through this with all 3 of my kids. I think Australia is not as racist as other countries think we are but way more racist than most "white" Aussies think we are.
All you can do is give them a good sense of their own self worth and cross your fingers that times will change.
My kids also get a lot of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWynJkN5HbQ
:D:rolleyes:

I have been subjected to racism before, in a crowded train station. This much taller guy whispered some racist comments when he passed me. I turned around and asked him "What did you say?!" Loud enough for a few people to hear. I started following him and he walked faster, fast enough for me not to follow unless I run after him. I didn't continue following as my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) was with me and didn't know if there were anybody else at the end of the tunnel. Romper Stomper was showing in the cinemas at the time and there were tension around. I wasn't afraid of him. I was more afraid of what I will do or would have done.

My daughter was at the receiving end of some racist remarks/comments as well. Some from her previous school where we spoke to the teacher, and the child and parents were spoken to. A few years ago when she was walking home from the train station and somebody shouted some racist taunting but she didn't see who it was. That scared the ***** out of me and began picking her up either from school or train station. Now she's more grown up and that incident hasn't happened again. I guess it's just some coward person with nothing else to do.

On the other hand, a few years ago when kids from African background I guess started coming to my kid's school, I was uncomfortable at first simply because I didn't know many people from that background. Some of the things on the news I've seen didn't really help as well. That's changed and some of our close friends now are should I say African-Australian?

What I'm saying is that racism goes both ways and mostly happens because of ignorance. Innocent people also get hurt when it escalates as we've seen in the Cronulla riots.

So from my point of view, I would say just ignore and move on. It's not worth it specially if it escalates. However if you do feel the need to respond, make sure you're in a crowded place as the majority of Australians are against racism.

As a dad I agree with your husband. I guess our primary purpose is provide and protect. So... safety first.... every thing else comes second.
I got mugged twice. First time, 10 years ago, I fought him off because I was single and that was the right thing to do. Recently, I handed over money because I have kids now.

Last edited:
Unfortunately this may not be the end of her troubles- but not for racism.

The teenage years can be filled with trouble. Shifting alliances, bullying (face to face and internet), boyfriends, rebelling against (your) authority can all be the basis for big dramas. You have interesting times ahead. It may be worth while to research a bit and to get yourself prepared for any possible problems and the sort of things you can do to help.

Of course it may be smooth. We have two girls in very similar school environments who had completely different experiences. Just be prepared.

I recall that this sort of thing was quite common 30 or more years ago even in the streets of Sydney.

Now it is quite uncommon unless you are in a regional area. But I usually just keep walking because people who shout these sorts of racist comments are usually skanky and may actually relish physical confrontation if you respond to them. Unfortunately, physical combat is not my forte and hence I don't have much options.

A bit of an aside, but maybe it's a timely reminder for anyone here with teenage boys to have a chat with them about their behaviour. Girls grow up constantly reminded to be vigilant, to guard themselves against sexual assault, physical assault, dangers to their reputation, etc., etc. But boys are often never sat down and chatted with about what is and isn't acceptable behaviour on their part. Parents just assume their boys aren't the ones bullying, taking advantage of drunk girls, pushing their girlfriends around, or hurling racist abuse from a passing car. But really, most of these boys probably have normal parents who would be shocked and embarrassed by their sons' behaviour. Chat with your boys. Be explicit. Explain what it means to be a real man and what is cowardly, unacceptable (and possibly illegal) behaviour.

A bit of an aside, but maybe it's a timely reminder for anyone here with teenage boys to have a chat with them about their behaviour.
A good point.

But don't forget the online behaviour of both boys and girls.

My daughter has been a victim (there were racial overtones), and possibly an instigator- I think many kids are. The teachers dealt with it well, but I wasn't aware back then of the amount of damage that can be caused.

A bit of an aside, but maybe it's a timely reminder for anyone here with teenage boys to have a chat with them about their behaviour. Girls grow up constantly reminded to be vigilant, to guard themselves against sexual assault, physical assault, dangers to their reputation, etc., etc. But boys are often never sat down and chatted with about what is and isn't acceptable behaviour on their part. Parents just assume their boys aren't the ones bullying, taking advantage of drunk girls, pushing their girlfriends around, or hurling racist abuse from a passing car. But really, most of these boys probably have normal parents who would be shocked and embarrassed by their sons' behaviour. Chat with your boys. Be explicit. Explain what it means to be a real man and what is cowardly, unacceptable (and possibly illegal) behaviour.

What luce.rocks said reminds me on what I read earlier on:

http://natepyle.com/seeing-a-woman/

My cousin gave a group of middle eastern boys the bird and was shot in the leg. Took months to recover and no apprehensions. The bird isnt worth it.

What I'm saying is that racism goes both ways and mostly happens because of ignorance. Innocent people also get hurt when it escalates as we've seen in the Cronulla riots.
It's also general lack of education, respect, manners etc...the whole upbringing of that level of folk, and their attitude to others and life in general....no refinement, no decorum and so on.

Riots generally start in those poorer, lower socio-demographic areas (apply that to most acts of violence too)....all over the world.

Can't imagine a riot in say; Brighton or Doube Bay for eg, whereas I could easily imagine one in Dandenong or Frankston...

Riots generally start in those poorer, lower socio-demographic areas (apply that to most acts of violence too)....all over the world.

Can't imagine a riot in say; Brighton or Doube Bay for eg, whereas I could easily imagine one in Dandenong or Frankston...

Ah yes - was half watching an doco last night on the Roman empire and one comment was that the Roman's would invade, and then set about raising the prosperity and living conditions of the population (those who weren't slaves) as a means of subduing the people.

Those who are content and comfortable with themselves and life do not riot.

Could learn a lot from history

Ah yes - was half watching an doco last night on the Roman empire and one comment was that the Roman's would invade, and then set about raising the prosperity and living conditions of the population (those who weren't slaves) as a means of subduing the people.

Those who are content and comfortable with themselves and life do not riot.

Could learn a lot from history
I don't think it's about being content, or comfortable with your life, Lizzie.

Hell; if I resorted to violence every time I had a grievance in my life, I'd be a mass murderer by now.

There a millions of folk all over the world whose life is not fun a lot of the time; lots of stress, setbacks, problems, even downright injustices personally.

But, they don't go out into the street and kill folk, maim folk, wreck public and private property, etc.

Because they are civilised, educated, have been brought up with training in behaviour and go through life with a level of emotional control, and decent behaviour in the face of adversity.

Yer standard "bogan class" folk (and below bogan class) - and that goes for all races - are "base instinct" emotionally controlled humans....

Resort to violence and animalistic behaviour when things don't suit them.

On a lesser scale; this also applies to racism. There are many folk who are racist, but keep it to themselves and while they might not particularly like a certain race or religion etc for whatever reasons; they have the decency to let those folks go about their business, and not throw stupid remarks at folk because they have different looking faces and skin colour etc.

Every outwardly and vocally racist person I've ever seen has been a bogan/yobbo/welfare loser type person and/or worse....never yer doctor, judge or school teacher and so on.

Mind you; I have also seen folk who would not normally utter a racist remark, who - when they've been provoked - will throw the remarks the provokee's way in retaliation. This is more a one-on-one type situation - not the unruly mob in the street.

Is it right to do that? No; but they were provoked (think; cops trying to diffuse a situation and are being attacked verbally and physically - I have seen and heard it with my own eyes and ears a good number of times).

Last edited:
She should have said "LOL. You should have said that to YOUR grandparents and parents. If they ain't aborigines they should go home! Get outta here!"

A great read over the 2 pages so far with some excellent well balanced comments put forward.

Controversial comment coming up!!

Australia is the most racist Country I have ever experienced!

Believe me I have travelled the World and am no shrinking violet. 12 years in the British Army including tours of Northern Ireland in the height of the troubles so my social thermometer and street sharpness are very well tuned and I am anything but sensitive.

I have spent extended times in South Africa, Middle East, Asia and I am gob smacked by some of the comments I have heard here in Oz these last 2+ years.

People being called and I excuse my language in advance.

Kaffers
Wog's
N word
Pork Chops (Which i presume is in reference to people from Portugal)
Spiks
etc etc

It amazes me that the attitude of those dishing out the terms is "she'l be right" and "It is our Country we can call them what we like"

Until such times as it becomes intollerable and no longer socially acceptable things will not improve.

Some things are done very well e.g. my son is taught at school about different cultures and religions so that he has an understanding and respect for them, how do we build on that and turn the next generation into a group of kids who we can be proud of?

Regards

ScottyB

Back