My daughter was at the receiving end of a racist attack

Of coursed we are a racist country. Our Constitution still isn't totally rid of the White Australia Policy and we will always be a racist country until that piece of legislation is totally removed from Parliament.

Of coursed we are a racist country. Our Constitution still isn't totally rid of the White Australia Policy and we will always be a racist country until that piece of legislation is totally removed from Parliament.

Given that the White Australia Policy was legislation and the 'racist' bits you are talking about were repealed many years ago I think you are incorrect there.

A great read over the 2 pages so far with some excellent well balanced comments put forward.

Controversial comment coming up!!

Australia is the most racist Country I have ever experienced!

Believe me I have travelled the World and am no shrinking violet. 12 years in the British Army including tours of Northern Ireland in the height of the troubles so my social thermometer and street sharpness are very well tuned and I am anything but sensitive.

I have spent extended times in South Africa, Middle East, Asia and I am gob smacked by some of the comments I have heard here in Oz these last 2+ years.

People being called and I excuse my language in advance.

Kaffers
Wog's
N word
Pork Chops (Which i presume is in reference to people from Portugal)
Spiks
etc etc

It amazes me that the attitude of those dishing out the terms is "she'l be right" and "It is our Country we can call them what we like"

Until such times as it becomes intollerable and no longer socially acceptable things will not improve.

Some things are done very well e.g. my son is taught at school about different cultures and religions so that he has an understanding and respect for them, how do we build on that and turn the next generation into a group of kids who we can be proud of?

Regards

ScottyB

With exception to the n word and kaffers (how many South Africans do you know? :p), I really don't have much problems with the other terms used. These terms are for the most part used in an endearing manner. I have friends who identify as 'wogs' and embrace it, and I get called the resident 'box head' by some of my friends. I've found that a lot of Australians (particularly 1st generation Australians - to which I'm a part of) still identify a lot with our ancestral roots, and using nicknames such as 'box head' or 'pork chop' are a way of acknowledging our counterparts heritage and cultural experience.

There are of course words which are used in a hateful and offensive manner, but I doubt I'd label Australia racist because people call others Pork Chops...*

*Isn't pork chop a term for someone who is acting silly/foolish?

Given that the White Australia Policy was legislation and the 'racist' bits you are talking about were repealed many years ago I think you are incorrect there.

That is what I thought too Aaron, so why are "they" bleating about the preamble to the Constitution?

With exception to the n word and kaffers (how many South Africans do you know? :p), I really don't have much problems with the other terms used. These terms are for the most part used in an endearing manner. I have friends who identify as 'wogs' and embrace it, and I get called the resident 'box head' by some of my friends. I've found that a lot of Australians (particularly 1st generation Australians - to which I'm a part of) still identify a lot with our ancestral roots, and using nicknames such as 'box head' or 'pork chop' are a way of acknowledging our counterparts heritage and cultural experience.

There are of course words which are used in a hateful and offensive manner, but I doubt I'd label Australia racist because people call others Pork Chops...*

*Isn't pork chop a term for someone who is acting silly/foolish?

Appreciate the response CJay.

I know loads of soutpiel who use the K word often ;)

Sadly even using the terms in an endearing manner is still racist and that is the problem, people use the defence of "I was saying it to be jovial and he is my mate" etc.

It is not an excuse that should be tollerated.

It depends on your exposure to the word as well I suppose.

Great real life example. If I was to use the word "Wog" back in the UK there would be shock and horror from everyone around me yet over here it appears more acceptable? We phased the old Golly Wog jars out many years ago along with the use of the word ;)

My observation is that Australia is still in the Denial/She'll be right stage and may remain so.

By the way I am a White Jock not a dark skinned gentleman with an axe to grind lol.

Regards

ScottyB

The White Australia Policy was in relation to immigration. The systematic dismantling of the policy commenced at the conclusion of WW2, and all elements of it were completely repealed in the early 70s.

Some times I just despair humanity ... I know in hindsight it's easy to think of what you "should have" done - but at least she can be prepared for any future events.

What should she do? - smile and give them a wave. Then there is no aggressive comeback - and the idiot might then become the butt of jokes from his "mates" for being a dick.

I agree with this. They are after a bite and the buzz from it. So yep just ignore, try not to show emotion that you have been hurt, and smile as you walk away. It would be hard for your daughter to cope with this though i agree. Maybe talk to a counsellor as well, and help you learn about coping skills, and to have someone to who will listen.

We had this extrememly difficult lady at work and in the end we learned to just smile her at her, ignore and walk away, which solved everything as not soon after she quit and found another job. She was after a fight all the time.

Dad was right, mum wrong. Dont talk back to them, the last thing you want is for it to escalate as you dont know what they are capable of. Same thing as if you are on the road if there is an extremely aggressive road rager out there. The worst thing to do is join in, its best to avoid and even if necessary pull over stop and let the idiot pass. haha and then catch up to him at the red traffic light lol.

I must agree with Hoffy.I am also much travelled and have found Australia to be very accepting of most races and cultures.Scotty,is jock,or for that matter pom acceptable because as I get older I find speaking the right terminology hard to keep abreast of.Actually witnessed many a jock getting wound up when called a pom!Good people are just that and in my opinion may be found in most corners of the globe.

O gosh, I am a dill! I was thinking of the policy to remove Aboriginal children from their parents and have them raised as "white". So what was the legislation written into the Constitution that made the Aborigines non-people and had them relocated to encampments like Cherboug and Palm Island, denied the right to vote, or to do anything really that we take for granted ourselves? I understand that it has been mostly repealed, but not completely.

O gosh, I am a dill! I was thinking of the policy to remove Aboriginal children from their parents and have them raised as "white". So what was the legislation written into the Constitution that made the Aborigines non-people and had them relocated to encampments like Cherboug and Palm Island, denied the right to vote, or to do anything really that we take for granted ourselves? I understand that it has been mostly repealed, but not completely.
Indigenous Australians and the vote
There was a referendum in 1967 to include aboriginals in the census- but apparently they had the right to vote before that. According to the article, not many of them knew that. In reality, probably few voting stations where set up where there were concentrations of aboriginals.

I must agree with Hoffy.I am also much travelled and have found Australia to be very accepting of most races and cultures.Scotty,is jock,or for that matter pom acceptable because as I get older I find speaking the right terminology hard to keep abreast of.Actually witnessed many a jock getting wound up when called a pom!Good people are just that and in my opinion may be found in most corners of the globe.

Must admit getting called a POM does give me a wee shiver, i normally find asking said Australian if they are a Kiwi often puts them on the backfoot and confuses them until the penny drops ;)

Agree on the good people part.

Ha Ha Ha,gotta giggle Scotty, there is obviously a thin line between perceived racism and having a bit of a crack.The tossers who insulted Virgos' Daughter were just that,racism was merely their vehicle.......

What about my Aussie mate who went back to Scotland with his jock wife and spent the whole night in the Glasgow Rangers supporters club in his best green and white tee shirt wondering why no one would talk to him! I would'nt fancy my chances in Glasgow on a Saturday night in my best England shirt either despite the fact that Longshanks probably caused more misery to my ancestors than yours.(Thanks for that Mel Gibson).

A great read over the 2 pages so far with some excellent well balanced comments put forward.

Controversial comment coming up!!

Australia is the most racist Country I have ever experienced!

Believe me I have travelled the World and am no shrinking violet. 12 years in the British Army including tours of Northern Ireland in the height of the troubles so my social thermometer and street sharpness are very well tuned and I am anything but sensitive.

I have spent extended times in South Africa, Middle East, Asia and I am gob smacked by some of the comments I have heard here in Oz these last 2+ years

People being called and I excuse my language in advance.

Kaffers
Wog's
N word
Pork Chops (Which i presume is in reference to people from Portugal)
Spiks
etc etc

If you think there is something derogatory with people labeling people this way, it would appear you are the racist, as you are implying they are inferior by suggesting it is racist. There is too much political correctness BS. Ive travelled the world too with an Asian wife I can tell you there are countries far more racist than Australia. I ve only experienced racism here twice and that was 25 years ago. Racism is usually a cop out for some other personality defect How people treat you is a reflection of you own attitude.

I've discussed this subject with some depth with a black African that i know who has been here about 13 years and lived in England for about 5 years prior - we work closely together.

He says he hasn't experienced any significant racism here and thought there were more race related issues in England, although at the same time thought there were more races there who harbored bad feeling because of past experience in their country of origin also, and these played out between these different races including their own.

He thought some were more sensitive than others to real and percieved racism, ie. black South Africans v blacks from other countries with fewer 'colour' issues.

He noticed some favouritism towards the English in the workplace in the UK but not here, but did says this could have partly been because not all of these people were residents and the staff saw them as less entitled than those who were born there.

He gave the examples of how South African blacks feel more discriminated against outside of Africa than do say blacks from Zimbabwe who had few white/black issues, and how people in African countries can sometimes be very divided based on cultural issues and religion even though they were of the same colour.

Interestingly this guy also states he feels like a person rather than a 'black person' and it's others that think they are doing good (not just the racist) that keep reminding him that he's different.

Why have we talked so much about this? Because we worked with a person that kept raising rasicm issues and I could see he was quickly tiring of it and I felt increasingly annoyed because I was embarrassed - and he felt he should explain how he felt about it to me.

Actually, what the guy prefers others to discuss with him is his culture, history and politics particularly if you show a genuine interest.

Sorry guys. I'm racist. Not meaning to stir the pot. But racism is normal. What you do with those opinions can be the problem. They don't affect my greater decision making but:

I like Japanese more than Koreans
Islanders more than Aboriginals
Kiwis more than most others etc.
I'm cautious of Lebanese and the more Indian taxi driver rape stories I
hear, the less I would trust them with a daughter in a cab. That's just a
defensive mechanism.

I stereotype too and I laugh at jokes relying on racial stereotypes.

But it doesn't limit me from being friends with any of them, nor would I treat them any differently. I give everyone one chance. I don't care where you're from.

I may delete this post yet.

Back