My first auction this weekend.. any tips?

I'm going to my first auction this weekend to bid on a property.

We have just arranged a building inspection as I understand theres no cooling off period in NSW for auctions which is usually when the inspection is completed.

I believe I just register 30mins before auction on the day.

Anything I should know or tips from seasoned buyers?

Thanks

Don't get emotionally attached. Determine your price limit before you get there & STICK TO IT.

Have you ever been to an auction, just to watch what happens? IMHO, you should always observe a few before you try your hand at bidding on one. That being said, I didn't & bought a bargain. So, as long as you know what the market value on the place is & you do as above, you should be OK. Don't worry if someone else bids more than you, you obviously weren't meant to have that one.

Hi KrisK

Like Skater said, you needs to observe a few auctions in the area that you are buying to get the feel of the market.
Stay cool, don't get too emotional, don't bid until the property is on the market then stay within your estimated market value.

Hope this help.
Regards
Tri

Don't let any agent know what you are prepared to pay, and when they start to hang around like fruit flies and pester you, tell them firmly you would like them to leave you alone.

Good luck!!

Thanks guys!!! ill write them down and keep them near !

We have not disclosed to the REA how much we can pay, although we made a offer a fair way off what we COULD pay for this property...

Interesting times ahead, we have not attended any other auctions but oh well. Like skater said, if we dont get it , then it wasn't meant to be

Hi Kris

OK, I'll give it a whirl as I'm having a slow Monday afternoon.....:D

Are you sure you're in the ballpark on price?
So many buyers get disappointed at auction because they haven't done their due diligence and fall for the supposed price guide that the agent gives. Let me tell you- it can be wildly inaccurate, and I've seen many many upset buyers who thought they had a chance when there was never any way.
Don't just ask the agent- conduct your own research into similar properties, ask the agent what sold properties they're basing their price guide on (you will start to soon see if they're being realistic or not) how many contracts they've issued, check out their other auction results and see how those price guides compared.
*Disclaimer to this is the emotional buyer who is going to outbid you no matter what. I've also come across a few of these and the only winner at these auctions are the vendors, who can't believe their luck!! Let's hope you have none of these at the auction.

Contract
Have you had this checked out by your conveyancer/solicitor? Most important, if you haven't already done so, as there could be some surprises in there or nasties that you're not aware of. Anything that you'd like amended, do it before the auction and ensure you sign the correct copy, if successful.

Auction
Get there early, register and then count the no. of bidders who register. This doesn't mean they're the only potential buyers as you can also pre-register with the agent the day before, but at least it gives you some idea of your competition and you can then strategically place yourself so you can eyeball them all on the day :)
Don't stand at the back of the crowd- look confident, place yourself near the front at the side and close to the auctioneer, where you can clearly see all the action.
If with a partner, don't look at each other at all, and especially NOT when you're near your limit. A telltale sign that people are nearing their limit or considering going just that little bit more- they look nervously at each other, whisper etc.
Once the auction opens, try not to enter the bidding until it's obvious others have dropped out. Fresh competition often unnerves existing bidders, especially if you're confident.
As others have said, if agents approach, tell them politely to move away. You're perfectly fine, thankyou very much.
Don't fall for the bidding above a Vendor Bid (one only allowed in NSW auctions) like I've seen a few times. Only ever bid above genuine bids from real buyers on the day.
Remain calm. Don't go over your agreed limit (make it an odd no. so that you don't have the same amount as another bidder!) and remember that, unless the particular property is unique, special to you for a specific reason, or you're prepared to pay over market knowingly for it, there will be another property for you :)
Money spent wisely on DD, building/pest inspections and contract reviews etc is not lost when you fail to "win" at auction. Consider them a form of insurance and move onto the next property up for grabs.

When I bid at auction, every one is different and so I don't really know how it's going to proceed, until I'm in the thick of it. Knockout bids, slowing down to little increments etc. It's really a matter of waiting and gauging the action on the day. It's all exciting stuff :D

PS: If the property gets passed in to you as highest bidder, but not meeting reserve, at the table, ask the agent why you should pay more? Remind them of the price guide (if applicable) bring out your list of comparable sales (if favourable) and remember that, if the property was truly worth what they wanted, it would have sold at auction several minutes before :D
At the same time, however, if you really want the property and it's been passed in below your top price, don't let ego and pride get in the way of your dream home. It's your decision after all.

Best of luck!!

Bidding experience

I recently attended an auction and was able to buy the house. Though the house we end up buying was way below the median price in the suburb and even less than our own limit that we had set for the house. (Though only 3K less :cool:). I would take you through the process that we went through.

We were the early ones to reach and register for the bid. The agent knew us since we have been actively looking for an IP and he has met us at couple of open inspections. The bid started at 11:00 AM at $200,000. there were two keen bidders and it went upto 250,000. When i saw one guy dropping out I bid for 255K. This is the turning point, suddenly from somewhere a guy rushed in, sweating and asked for a mobile phone and started increasing the bid by 5K. At 287500, the bid was that guy and the agent went inside and long went this guy pretending that he was talking on the phone. Later everyone came out and said that the bid was with the vendor. Eventually, I bid again and got the house. This guy left in a rush-rush, the same way he had come in and wished us good luck:)

Later on we kept on thinking who this guy could be. I even mentioned to the agent that other bidders suspect that he was agents man :rolleyes:. By the way this is in Adelaide.

Cheers

When I bid at auction, every one is different and so I don't really know how it's going to proceed, until I'm in the thick of it. Knockout bids, slowing down to little increments etc. It's really a matter of waiting and gauging the action on the day. It's all exciting stuff :D

PS: If the property gets passed in to you as highest bidder, but not meeting reserve, at the table, ask the agent why you should pay more? Remind them of the price guide (if applicable) bring out your list of comparable sales (if favourable) and remember that, if the property was truly worth what they wanted, it would have sold at auction several minutes before :D
At the same time, however, if you really want the property and it's been passed in below your top price, don't let ego and pride get in the way of your dream home. It's your decision after all.

Best of luck!!

Hi Kris,

There's been some good advice from just a few posts.

I generally wait for the bidding to slow, even going down to the wire before bidding. Then depending on where the bidding is compared to my expected purchase price, I will either slow the bid or make a high bid to clinch the deal.

If we don't get the property outright we will try to at least be the underbider so we can negotiate. If the price is too much we will walk away, but not before confirming the what the final bid for future reference (this might be the passed in price).

The area we generally buy in has a reasonable amount of interest which generally means there are few bargains but if you are a serious bidder the more times you attend the more likely you are to purchase a bargain.

Good Luck

Regards

Andrew

Hi,

I bought at auction last December and my wife and I attended as many auctions as possible for 3 months prior to get a feel for the market.

Recent sales posted in the Sunday papers gave us a price guide, whereas the auctions gave us the market sentiment - speed/size of bids tell you how hot/cold the market is.

Tip #1 - be prepared to walk away. If you can't walk away, then really price isn't your concern.

Tip #2 - have your money ready before hand.

Tip #3 - if you don't ask, you don't get. There were two properties we were interested in on the same night by the same agency. The cheaper of the two was listed first, however we wanted it the other way around, that way if the more expensive one got priced out of our range, the cheaper one would have been plan b. So we asked the agent to switch the auction order around. That way (we said) they would have the most amount of bidders for each auction if we were unable to get the first property.

Tip #4 - anything is possible. At the auction we were bidding on property A and got to a point that the bidding stopped, mainly because we asked for a $50,000 interest free deposit finance from the vendor. So property A's auction was taken offline and as I was negotiating with the vendor, property B came up for auction.

As I was negotiating property A, my wife was bidding on property B. I then told the vendor, we're buying a house tonight, it's up to you whether it will be yours or the one my wife is currently bidding on.

They agreed to our price and terms ($50,000 interest free vendor finance).

In the end we didn't proceed with the vendor finance, but that's another story.

Regards
Michael G

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the tips

The REA has contacted us today and told us another buyer has offered a price over $600k. Our initial budget is $600k. He has said the vendor will accept $614k and the contracts can exchange

We dont know what the other private bid over 600 was, it could be $601.

The REA said that if we do not want to offer, it will go to the other buy but he said there will be no auction between us two private bidders before the auction.

It appears as though he wants to sell it PRE auction.

I'm not sure if this is just finding a reserve for the auction or if the other offer is legit. If it is, then it will go to him (apparently) and we'll miss out..

Thoughts?

If it was an IP, I'd tell the agent to wait until auction day.

For a PPOR however, this is a bit more difficult. If the property is a "good fit" for you, then you are obviously willing to pay a bit extra.

You have now got the vendor's pre-auction reserve - and it's pretty close to your limit. If it is the home of your dreams, and you can afford it, I'd be contemplating a $610 unconditional offer, take it or leave it.

Tell the agent you are unable to make it on auction day (bidding on another property etc) so if the vendor wants to sell, this is the final offer.

Did your inspection report show anyhting? Point out anything in there to support a lower price - eg this needs fixing, that needs looking at etc.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Thanks Yman, report comes back tomorrow. We made that offer this evening, but it was $605 - as thats all we can really afford.. we do love it

Owner said $614 isnt a reserve, but the price that they will exchange contracts for.. we'll see if 605 is enough to win it. Failing that, if the other party who offered a tad less won't offer more - it goes to Auction on saturday I guess...

Issue now is if it does go to auction, the REA knows our limit. And we are already there..

Oh well :(

Don't let any agent know what you are prepared to pay, and when they start to hang around like fruit flies and pester you, tell them firmly you would like them to leave you alone.

Good luck!!

A point for future reference.

Prior to a previous auction I noticed a tiny little add in my local paper, rang up & found out that the property was available for viewing by open house only, twice a week. Once on the weekend, the other on a week day.

I went to an open by myself on the weekday, looked at it & told the agent that I liked it, but could only afford $xx. I think he thought I was a single Mum. Anyway, I stayed for a while & noticed that I was the only one looking at it.

On the weekend I sent Hubby to look at it & he went in paint covered pants (we were renovating at the time) & looked at it from top to tail & told the agent that he also liked it, but it was only worth $xx to him. He also noted that no-body else came along.

The contact details we left were different as I only ever use the home phone no & Hubby uses his mobile. The R/E thought he had two interested parties.

We checked the house the following week & still no-body came to view it.

Day of the auction the only bidders were us & one other who "found" it that day & didn't have his cheque book. We bought it for $10k over reserve. Reserve was the price that we both had told the R/E that we could afford & we would have got it at that price if the other bidder hadn't have turned up. It was $60k under market at the time.

We bought it for $10k over reserve. Reserve was the price that we both had told the R/E that we could afford & we would have got it at that price if the other bidder hadn't have turned up. It was $60k under market at the time.

This sounds familiar :). Same happened in our case.

We sold one of our IP's today prior to auction (which was set for tomorrow).

Here was how it played out on our side:

Offer in at $300k on Wednesday. Unconditional, no cooling off (as less than 3 days prior)
Not bad, and we would have sold at this price.

Asked agent how many contracts sent out during campaign: 2

Contact all other potentials, tell them there is an offer on the table, to put best offer in.

Second party in a $301.5k

Agent went back to first party - told them they would have to up offer "early 3's". First party raised offer to $311k.

Sold. :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Experience in selling at auction

Any experiences in selling a property in an auction ? Probably might give some insight how it happens.

Thanks

Back