My inlaw has never seen snow.. where to take her (NSW)

My inlaw is arriving from overseas in about 2 weeks and my wife's thinking on taking her to a place so she can see the snow (I won't leave her there, promised :D).

She has never seen snow. We have organised a few trips to brisbane and melbourne whilst she's visiting us, so the budget is quite tight.

We live in sydney, so we're looking for a place obviously driving distance. Probably staying overnight. This will be around september.

what do you recommend? I've read October is too late, so will have to be done in september.

Longford Victoria has been having snow..not sure how much...one of our housesits will be there in October..so it had better be sunny and warm by then :)

Why not just go to Perisher? It's only 5 hrs from Sydney. You could stay overnight in Canberra or Queenbeyan (sp?) so it is cheaper than actually staying in the snow.

Come to Canberra for a weekend - Floriade is on during September. The snow (Perisher/Thredbo) is only 2hrs drive from here. Go down and back the same day. There is also a daily coach that is very reasonably priced if you dont want to drive.

Also highly recommend Lake Crackenback Resort - although a bit expensive.

Somebody has been pulling your leg. Longford has had floods and some warm weather in August, but not snow.

It was from the home owner. This is a quote from her email:
"We have had unseasonally warm weather here with the warmest August night on record the other night but it has reverted to winter now."

I am hoping it reverts back to unusually warm weather, but we don't arrive there until October.

Nova Scotia has had a disappointing summer
Rained too many days...

Thank you!!!! just realised I had read her email wrong...I was reading it reverted back to winter Snow...can you tell how much I HATE snow? lol

Outback Nomad - you should check out the Brumby Schnapps Distillery just down the road as well. They have the best hot chocolate with butterscotch schnapps.

Outback Nomad - you should check out the Brumby Schnapps Distillery just down the road as well. They have the best hot chocolate with butterscotch schnapps.

Funny you mention it cos we are giving a little bottle of schnapps to each of our guests as the wedding favour. You can't go to the snow without having a schnapps or twelve...;)

Last edited:
Back