My landlord is rorting the system - how well are govt depts linked?

I guess it depends on your idea of "better off". From a wealth point of view, there's nothing like motivation, determination, and having goals to get you to this better-off place. Dependency, lack of focus, and indecision are the killers.

However, for some, presumably like that bloke, better off means being out of the rat race, enjoying life, and not having to worry about the pressures of modern society. As long as there's enough to survive off, and let them follow their dreams, they're happy. Not sure how that guy would have fared once the benefit stopped though.

Personally I can understand that side of things. The struggle for wealth can be very stressful at times, as some of the messages on this forum attest to, and even when you have it, will you sit back and enjoy it or just keep pressing on for more? Some of the happiest and most cheerful people I've ever met have been constantly broke but living their passions (climbing mountains, travelling the world, or whatever). Their life experiences would leave the average rich person's for dead.

GP
That may be true, but why should that person not have a miserable life just like everyone else who has to work?When they or their family members want to fund it, that's when I will have no problem with it.:D

I was looking at our work log book today for our rentals. Since September, we have had 7 days where we did absolutly nothing concering our properties.
It's true, most of our stress is self induced. However 90% of the time I am actually quite content. The occassional tenant just makes life "interesting"

Well that one particular bloke was being funded by the parent benefit, but most I've known of haven't been. Typically they do work for periods of time, often in a field related to their passion, and usually just long enough to save up for their next expedition. They get very good at living off very little.

So I guess wealth-creators spend the best years of their life (in terms of age) struggling to make their retirements more comfortable (unless they're lucky enough to get there early), while these people make the most of their best years at the possible expense of their retirement years.

I would imagine though that many of these people will pick up such a wealth of experience, and some are pretty smart people to begin with (I know of one who had a masters degree in electrical engineering), that they won't be completely helpless later in life. In all honesty, I think it will be the mainstream people, who just follow the system, who will suffer the most in later life.

GP

I don't mind people doing what they want with their lives, and do what makes them happy, but i do have a problem with them doing it with our money.

If you're unemployed and on benifits that's fine, but many are on benifits as a lifestyle choice and as a permanant thing, not just in between jobs, when times are tough etc. And that's where the problem lies.

Especially when many pull the poor me, i'm broke, i can't afford this or that. But they go and spend it on stupid stuff like new cars or toys, when they should be spending it on food, rent, or going out and getting a job!!

That just sends me up the wall, i've paid my own way, buy my own clothes etc, and i get sh*t because i don't have the best clothes or i don't have money to go out, yet they're supported by people like my parents and soon to be me and they have everything materialistic that any other 18 year old girl could ever want!

Sorry i'm ranting, i know, i'll stop now!

Lil Skater, life is a sea of unfairness and injustice, and if you get worked up about it all, you'll blow a gasket before you're 30. :D

Don't let the b@stards get you down, as they say.

GP

Back