My little rant about re.com not letting private landlords advertise

I have not read all thread but in Feb this year I let a place in Sydney after advertising it on Domain.com.au-- as a private landlord(and now self manage) My son actually handled the posting of the ad etc but he is just a private individual too so I assume Domain allows private letting ads--I also put it on Gumnut-- and had a few E mail replies to arrange inspections. The prob.n if U just use the free part is U have to keep updating your ad otherwise it gets further and further back in the list of to lets- and jumbled with the mad ads for 238 students to share 2 bed apartments in China town Sydney.

How about writing a letter to the ACCC, asking them to consider whether re.com are illegally protecting the market by prohibiting private advertisers.

The ACCC normally require a member of the public to raise a matter to them for investigation, I don't think they have the power to iinvestigate things themselves without a tip off, so perhaps they're aware of it and are just waiting for such a tip off!

Why not list on private listing sites. There are many out there that do not charge and may advertise your property until your property is leased. You could also put signs up on community boards and use word of mouth especially through your own personal network. A For Lease sign out the front draws attention to your property from passers by who, if they are not interested themselves, may know of someone who is.

If you choose to advertise in a newspaper make your advertisement short and text only. You can have a link that directs the potential tenants to your website listing where you can display a variety of photos and unlimited text. This will cut down the cost of your advertising as well as give the potential tenants a true picture of the property so that when you actually have an open house you have qualified tenants inspecting.

Peter
www.cashflowcalculators.com.au
www.privaterealestate.net.au

I may be coming into this discussion a bit late and this post is not exactly on the thread topic but I'll have my say anyway. I have two IP's that I self managed for three years, and just recently accepted a position as PM for a fairly prominent agency. I used to have the same attitude as some of the self managers who posted in this thread.

quote " Anyway, the $506 that the agent has made from fielding ONE phone call is the cream for them"

if only it was that easy, if all it took was that one and only phone call, in reality it doesn't, it takes nearly as much effort to list and rent a letting only as it does a let and manage property.

Drive to the property and take the photos.
Enter the property description and upload the photos.
Take the calls and answer emails "do you allow pets" when the web text clearly states NO PETS.
Schedule opens, say 3 for the week or make appointments, drive to the property and wait around 20 or 30 mins for the late comers.
Photocopy and staple application forms (5 or so pages) and hand them out at opens and inspections .
Screen the applications recording everything on the application check sheet, this alone can take 30-40mins per application once you phone employment, personal and rental references for a couple that have both names on the application, IF everyone you phone is available, longer if they are not available and you need to phone back.
You spend 5 or so hrs the first week and 2 or so hrs the next week before the property is let (if it rents quickly), say you spend a total of 7 hrs.
How much does you plumber or electrician charge per hour ? $60 hr .... $80hr. Our gas fitter charges $95 to tell us the gas heater doesn't work (which is why we called him in the first place) and we need a new one, our air con mechanic charges $100 to tell us the circuit board is broken and no longer available... he will be happy to quote for a new one. Don't get me wrong here I'm not complaining about service charges, everyone has a right to earn a living, but please don't think that all we do all day is sit around drinking coffee and chatting with the receptionist waiting for that ONE phone call that is the cream, it's not that easy. Contrary to what some think we are not bending people over.
I'm sure any PM's out there that read this will agree. I have only had two letting only properties and even with these some very good applications are withdrawn once prospective tenants find out that they will be dealing directly with landlords and not a PM

RE.com is probably no different from such things as trade only car auctions, provided by the trade for the trade. We'd love to grab a bargain but they won't let us in,

I understand what you have said, however, in this case the PM DID take one phone call, took that one person to the house to show it and that was it.

We said we would take over from there. She did type up the leases and said "this is what you are paying a week's rent for, so we will do it".

She also did reference checks even though we said we were happy with the tenants after hearing who their employers were. Again, the PM was doing what she would normally do, even though we said "we are happy with them, full stop".

So, in reality, except that the PM "chose" to follow things through when we said "we are happy right now, as it is, no more checking" she literally could have spent half an hour on the whole exercise.

We provided photos and text and really paid one week's rent in desperation to get on re.com.au. I call that "cream", don't you?

And I don't begrudge one cent to this very competent PM, but don't understand re.com.au's attitude and think they are losing money over this issue. But that is their problem (and mine).

The comment in your reply is interesting ..... "I have only had two letting only properties and even with these some very good applications are withdrawn once prospective tenants find out that they will be dealing directly with landlords and not a PM."

I do believe you, but I couldn't tell you how many tenants tell us they like to deal with private landlords because they don't like dealing with PMs, so it cuts both ways. I suppose when a tenant goes to an agency they expect to deal with a PM and are happy to do so. But plenty of tenants avoid going into an agency because of not wanting to deal with PMs. I realise many avoid agencies because they have a "history" but we weed them out pretty quickly.

wylie yer in your situation you got shafted it was only 1 phone call and 1 application. But the next person that comes along gets the same deal from REA and it takes as much effort as familyguy says and ultimately the REA will lose money on them.

To catch a tram to work from my gfs place is no way worth $3.70 but to take a bus then train the tram for the same price is probably better value than the ticket suggests.

Its all in the averages.

I agree it is all in the averages but I don't feel at all, that I was shafted.

We would be happy to pay re.com.au say $200 to list our place for one month. I am not wanting a "freebie". For us to advertise in the paper once a week for a month will cost us $264 or so, so I don't mind paying for a service that enables us to target a bigger audience.

I hope that nobody thinks money is my main motivation.

The PM "cost" for finding this tenant was, say half an hour for inspection, maybe an hour for checking references and an hour for paperwork, basically filling in the blanks. Heck, let's say it took her ten hours. She has made the agency $50 per hour. But in reality she probably made the agency $250 per hour.

I was thrilled with the service, happy that they found us a tenant so quickly, and feel quite sure that they are equally pleased with the transaction. I am glad they didn't just put any old tenant in, because they know they don't have to sort out any problems in the future. I feel sure some PMs would possibly do that.

I am happy though as we found a tenant in a day. It cost me twice what I would be happy to spend if we could do it ourselves.

Even our usual means of advertising costs us $66 for an advert in the paper, so I don't begrudge the agent or the PM for the money we have paid them. In this instance, the outgoing tenant paid anyway, so it cost us "zip".

I don't have an issue with PMs. I have an issue with re.com.au.

We have had success with one agency for a few years and now we have found this other agency who have done a great job. I just don't understand why re.com.au has this silly policy.

Last edited:
I agree Wylie, Realestate.com should allow private listings.

I manage my own properties as they are local and I think I can do a better job than a property manager. The extra cash is just a bonus.

I have signed up 2 tenants this year and have found the response from the paper not very good at all with only 2-3 phone calls coming from each ad this last time and I did not get any response from Gumtree or rentfind.

I rang many PM's to try and get my properties advertised on RE.com but they would only act as a letting agent stating that it is against their agreement with RE.com to only put in an advertisement. To tell you the truth I don't really trust a pm to put a good tenant in place when they are not going to look after the lease afterwards so I do not want to have them act as a letting agent.

Don't worry Wylie you are not the only one frustrated.

Pablo.

Thanks Pablo.

I emailed a morning TV show to see if they would ask the questions on behalf of private landlords, but haven't heard back.

I also put the question very politely, with my reasons to re.com.au. They replied just over ten days ago that someone would get back to me.

I emailed again on Friday to ask if I might be expecting to receive a reply.

If I hear anything from anyone, I will definitely report back.

Meanwhile, second best is to keep doing what we are doing. It is twice the cost of newspaper advertising, but gets a quicker result and a much wider audience.

Cheers.

I received an email reply telling me today that it is their policy to only allow private adverts for share accommodation and directing me to the link to find a local agent who I could list my rental with (gee... thanks a lot).

I emailed back and told them that I would just find one of the many agents who already flout their rules and take money under the table already and list for private landlords . (I don't plan to do that, but I know someone else who found a local agent, so it is happening.)

I posted this as well in the new thread regarding google. I would love it if this takes off and especially if it allows private landlords to advertise. Then we could tell re.com where to stick their advertising :p:D.

Back