My new job, 5 weeks in..

So I've been working in a new industry, (to me anyway) for five weeks as opposed to my previous 8 year stint at a Musical instrument store. in which I enjoyed because, well, I have a passion for playing and repairing these things, but in the end HATED dealing with customers.. Sound familiar?.. :D

So anyway, after 5 weeks with my new job, all I can think about while I'm at work is being at home, I just can't wait to get there! I dream of better things I could be doing to better my income producing side the whole time I'm at work, and don't feel my head is in the work I do, which is not fair on my employer and is making me depressed having to show up to that job in the morning.

This weekend, I'm making a pact with myself that I have to search for ways and ideas to start me off in business. I wish to be my own boss and ideally would like to run an online business in which I could work from anywhere. But I don't know what.

I'm looking for ideas that could help kick-start me into a happier existance. Anything.

I've thought about perhaps living on a LOC for a few months until I sort out what I want to do because lets face it, I'm not exactly at retirement age and am going to need something to do that pulls decent income for the next, I dunno, 40 years or so!! :eek: and am not the type of person who enjoys sitting on the couch all day. I'm just not the sort that enjoys the 'challenge' of a job that makes a boss rich either. Many do enjoy their role at an employers co/ but it means nothing to me and I just can't, or feel any self worth from doing so. I just feel like a chump, and it's kinda depressing.

Any thoughts or ideas? Potential business partners, ANYTHING BUT THIS!! ;)

I 'could' just get another job, but I fear the result would be quite the same, no matter what I do.

Why don't you repair musical instruments from home?

You could offer a deal with the stores to outsource their work and advertise to get your own private customers.

Just a thought off the top of my head.

the pursuit of happiness :)
What is your new job Want2bewealthy?

You mentioned that you hated dealing with customers, but i think when starting in business that you will have to deal with people that are your customers and bust your balls to make them happy. So perhaps maybe looking at a way you can enjoy your interaction with them.

You need to get your self into an environment with positive people that lift you up.
I got a call from some work mates the other day (I've been on a long Holiday eg. 5 weeks) it was basically to say "we miss having you around". This was really made me feel good, they all noticed before i went on holidays my motovation was low, not really interested in dealing with people etc.

I can't wait to be back their actually lol, im getting abit bored at home.

Maybe something to get you started is that if you have property or shares which i think you do from memory is that you can tweak your exsisting stuff to generate better profits or what not.

Maybe if the business is going good in which you are working for now, ask the owner if you can buy into part of it?

Regards,

RH

I'm looking for ideas that could help kick-start me into a happier existance. Anything.
Sorry to state the obvious, but happiness begins from within.

but in the end HATED dealing with customers.. Sound familiar?.. :D
You mean; dealing with HUMANS.
Sadly, I have discovered that no matter what business you go into, you have to deal with them, and they can be very, very tiresome and stupid and self centred. Occasionally you meet a good one. :D

The best job I've seen for a while is the guy who comes in to do our disc brake machining. The only people he has to deal with are the mechanics who work in the business, and they are happy to see him as he does work for them for about an hour, then leaves to go to another location. So, the worst scenario for him is to deal with an annoying client for about an hour, or simply refuse to go and see them. No public interaction with annoying demanding customers at all. 9-5 (or whatever hours you want in between) and weekends off.
So there's a business to start up; buy a decent sized ute, a disc machining machine and go for it.

This weekend, I'm making a pact with myself that I have to search for ways and ideas to start me off in business.
All businesses involve dealing with humans to some degree unfortunately. Unless you are the owner of Xbox.

wanttobewealthy

We all b**** and whinge about our jobs. I do alot of it. Unfortunately I would probably find something to whinge about no matter what job I did. I think it's human nature. I hope you find a job that you enjoy. Unfortunately no one will pay me to fish.

My job involves me being called a white c***, attempts to punch me, an attempt to kill me, threats of beeing sued, fraudulent complaints from solicitors.

I have purchased a vest, tape recorder, body worn video camera so that I don't get stabbed in the back, can tape the verbal abuse and film the people who try to spit on me.

I hope your clients are better than mine.

Are you a real estate agent? :D

wanttobewealthy

We all b**** and whinge about our jobs. I do alot of it. Unfortunately I would probably find something to whinge about no matter what job I did. I think it's human nature. I hope you find a job that you enjoy. Unfortunately no one will pay me to fish.

My job involves me being called a white c***, attempts to punch me, an attempt to kill me, threats of beeing sued, fraudulent complaints from solicitors.

I have purchased a vest, tape recorder, body worn video camera so that I don't get stabbed in the back, can tape the verbal abuse and film the people who try to spit on me.

wanttobewealthy

you work for telstra?

Thanks for your responses thus far, I appreciate it.

The owner, or part owner should I say (three joint owners) was mentioning he would like to sell %age off to the staff, I could look in to that further, good suggestion.

To the guitar repair idea, I have though of that, and it's a feasible idea.
The only thing I don't like about it is people would have to come and go from my residence and I'm not too keen on that, unless I could rent a small place to run from. Will look into that also, as I don't mind doing that.

My new job is 'cabling' and drilling holes in concrete in dusty desert conditions with full sun.. Then I might be in the office a few days a week doing 'nothing.' And I don't feel good about that. I'm basically the pass around pleb for now. Putting shelves together, sweeping, throwing out rubbish and card-board, driving stuff to the tip. That sort of stuff. Even if I stayed for a few years and got qualified (good money to be made) I just know I don't have a passion for installing fire systems for the army's bunkers. If you get what I mean. I couldn't care less about that.

Thanks for your suggestions so far guys. The brain's a tickin' ;)

Maybe you could market a 'pick up and drop off service' as a possible USP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_selling_proposition

Don't let the little details stop you mate. If you can replace your previous wage with half a week fixing instruments youre laughing.

Or double your income with a bit of work.

To the guitar repair idea, I have though of that, and it's a feasible idea.
The only thing I don't like about it is people would have to come and go from my residence and I'm not too keen on that, unless I could rent a small place to run from. Will look into that also, as I don't mind doing that.

Wow.. Very good idea Evan, very helpful indeed. I didn't even think of that.

I'm feeling empowered! :)

Well I have the expertice, 8 years experience and I do enjoy it, which makes work a pleasure and it's something I'm passionate about.

Let me share a little more about our local music business scene.
We have three more repairers in this town.

One is a very good luthier who works from home and has done for the past 20 years or so.

Another is relatively new and is still learning. He operates from a retail music outlet/business.

The last operates from home also, but I've never seen him advertise, he's known by word of mouth and also apparently does alot of work for the Music School and Schools in general, not sure how he got into this.

I'm just trying to brainstorm how I'd go about advertising to start off with.
I would advertise in the local paper every week. $25 a pop for a small ad.
Also advertise in the local Yellow Pages, which is exxy but worth the outlay.
And I think that the pick up and drop off would be a good bonus for customers as many people are too busy to drop off and pick up. I'd just need card facilities. Don't know how to go about that, or costs involved?
The car would be deductible, which is good..

My X Boss will be happy to give all repair business to me as he doesn't have time to do it himself anymore. So thats a good start, only thing is he's not that busy with repairs anymore and only seeing a couple of guitars a week at present.

The only thing I don't like about collecting the instrument(s) is the 'trust' between me and the customer. It might seem a bit odd?

Theres also another thing I'm good at and that is PA system hire.
I don't like the big concert stuff, as it's too labour intensive and there are transport issues.
I toyed with the idea and proposition of buying the business' smaller party hire stock that brings in $1000 (roughly) per week and is what we call 'drive-way hire'. Where people drive in, pay and sign for and take the easy to run disco systems and jukebox type PA systems.

The thing that got me leaning towards not doing it was also a place to operate from, but this could also be a plus. We do get alot of business doing this because we have cheaper rates than anyone else in town and everyone likes a good party so theres demand for it. I think a drop off service could work in my favour here again with a little playing around..
Plus I do know all the ins and outs of PA related stuff, and also how to repair it.

What I'd like to know is, would YOU guys prefer this service if YOU were looking for a PA system for functions? It's not about whats best for me.

Last edited:

Gotta be a parking inspector then?

See ya's.

<<Theres also another thing I'm good at and that is PA system hire.

What I'd like to know is, would YOU guys prefer this service if YOU were looking for a PA system for functions? It's not about whats best for me.>>

If it had teeth it would bite you on the A** :)

There is your part time income staring you in the face.

Take over the PA hire, charge same rental as now for simple drop offs, add an extra $50 to set up and pull down, you will need a covered trailer or small van.

Maaaaate, just do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never seen him advertise, he's known by word of mouth ...............not sure how he got into this.

Most good luthiers reputations are developed by word of mouth. How he got into it is totally irrelevant.

My X Boss will be happy to give all repair business to me as he doesn't have time to do it himself anymore. So thats a good start, only thing is he's not that busy with repairs anymore and only seeing a couple of guitars a week at present.

The only thing I don't like about collecting the instrument(s) is the 'trust' between me and the customer. It might seem a bit odd?

Talk to your ex-boss and convince him to make an effort to pull more repair work through his business, even if you pay him a commission on each job.

Customers' trust is something you will have to work to establish.

Theres also another thing I'm good at and that is PA system hire.
I don't like the big concert stuff, as it's too labour intensive and there are transport issues.
I toyed with the idea and proposition of buying the business' smaller party hire stock that brings in $1000 (roughly) per week and is what we call 'drive-way hire'. Where people drive in, pay and sign for and take the easy to run disco systems and jukebox type PA systems.

The thing that got me leaning towards not doing it was also a place to operate from, but this could also be a plus. We do get alot of business doing this because we have cheaper rates than anyone else in town and everyone likes a good party so theres demand for it. I think a drop off service could work in my favour here again with a little playing around..
Plus I do know all the ins and outs of PA related stuff, and also how to repair it.

I think you've answered your own questions/doubts ;)

:cool:

wanttobewealthy

I think we're doing the same job in a similar location...talk about reverse racism!!!

But I could never whinge about it because I LOVE doing it, day in, day out...if you hate dealing with people it has to be the best job in the world because you always get the last laugh :D:D

Back