My new purchase - Highbury SA

Who are you looking at building with Brady?

I was over a couple of weekends ago looking at display homes at 3 different estates. I'll be building mine with Statesman (late last week got my final plans signed and deposit paid), but i imagine they're a lower spec than what you're going for in Highbury.

Not sure yet, will wait to see how the builders broker panel goes, will also be looking at quoting from a few builders that I know of.

Now have planned drawings with eleveations. I haven't looked at many elevations before would love some help with this. Also what's everyones thought on render, colorbond and window frame colors and feature wood detail for the facade?

Attachments

• Planning Drawings 1 CD Issue E.pdf
    803.7 KB · Views: 127
What does the design studio charge you, may i ask?

Concept Fee $1750 (+GST)

Planning Fee $1950 (+GST)

Working Drawings Fee $3850 (+GST)

So all up $7,550 + GST for 2 x Two Storey Duplex & 1 X Detached 2 Storey Dwelling.

Others were as close as $9,000 for the 3. I had previously quoted just building 2 with other companies and they were more expensive. For one architect he wanted $12,950 + GST just for 2.

So far they have been excellent, great communication at every stage. Extremely fast turn around time. More then willing to discuss different ideas.

Now have planned drawings with eleveations. I haven't looked at many elevations before would love some help with this. Also what's everyones thought on render, colorbond and window frame colors and feature wood detail for the facade?

Absolutely love the timber feature and render style, there are 2 houses at the end of my street newly built (each would resale for about 1m in Glenelg Nth, one was definitely built by Scott Salisbury) I just can't keep my eyes off em when I walk past, they have been done with slate grey roof and matching slate grey colourbond fencing, white (or whiteish) render and timber features (above portico timber and timber windows). I think this colour combo looks super clean, fresh and modern, and would appeal to all ages. I'll take a pic with my phone when I walk the dog past tonight and post it tomorrow.

i like this one better

love this colour scheme and use of timber feature
WP_20141202_001.jpg

Thanks Erica, I love that look as well.

Updated Drawing received which will be used to submit to council. (note haven't included stone detail on the facade as this stage, will tender without and get it as an option with the builder to get an idea of the cost). Just waiting to get civil plans before submitting to council.

BBQ has been moved for Res 1 (standalone) and the stairs switched around for Res2/3 (duplex)

Check out the streetscape at the bottom of the first page of the attached document. Gives you an idea of what the street will look like with the neighbours - this gets me excited.

Also found another comparable sale for Res 1 (Standalone)

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-paradise-118357183

Just sold for $678,000
This property is obviously higher valued. Larger land by approx 100sqm so bigger yard, larger build by approx 70sqm so has extra bedroom. But comparable finish, layout, location, street appeal etc.

Attachments

• Planning Drawings 2 PD Issue F.pdf
    873.2 KB · Views: 97
If this sells for even $100k less then asking price I'll be very happy. Currently asking $640-660k. Mine is better location (across from park), this property is next to a busy road and I believe mine in a better suburb (IMO).
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-tea tree gully-116617507

Property is pending settlement - sold for $579,000.

This makes me very happy. Whilst I have gone for 3 (STCC) instead of 2, so smaller build and land. This will still help come valuation time.

Would like to hear peoples thoughts on Community Title v Torrens Title. Would you pay less for rent & buy for a Community Title house that shares sewer compared to a Torrens Title?

My thoughts are rent wont be impacted, wouldn't even come up in discussion.

For buyers I think it's not as important as it used to be, I know previously people would only buy Torrens Title, kind of like brick and tile. But now people aren't as interested and seeing a lot more different types of developments.

The reason I'm asking is to do a Torren Title on my development I would need to extend the sewer main by approx 20m which I estimate to cost ~$25,000. Whereas I could do a Community Title where the lots share the sewer and wont have the same cost and my subdivision will cost ~$8k less. So total savings of approx $33k.

I plan to rent out and hold the duplex, so tenants wont matter. The only property I would possibly sell is the standalone at a later stage after living in the property.

I think I've answered my own question to go with Community Title, but would like some feedback.

Would like to hear peoples thoughts on Community Title v Torrens Title. Would you pay less for rent & buy for a Community Title house that shares sewer compared to a Torrens Title?

For buyers I think it's not as important as it used to be, I know previously people would only buy Torrens Title, kind of like brick and tile. But now people aren't as interested and seeing a lot more different types of developments.

The reason I'm asking is to do a Torren Title on my development I would need to extend the sewer main by approx 20m which I estimate to cost ~$25,000. Whereas I could do a Community Title where the lots share the sewer and wont have the same cost and my subdivision will cost ~$8k less. So total savings of approx $33k.

I plan to rent out and hold the duplex, so tenants wont matter. The only property I would possibly sell is the standalone at a later stage after living in the property.

I think I've answered my own question to go with Community Title, but would like some feedback.

I think you are over estimating the cost of the sewer main extension- my Morphett Vale sewer main extension was 19m + 2 new sewer IP's cost $10k, the Plympton one I am doing now also 20m extension + 1 new sewer IP is $8k. Only took 4 weeks for SA water to get back with quote.

Last edited:

I've still found a lot of valuers are discounting properties on community title (when the only community provision is sewer etc), but it does depend on the area. If it is common for the area the value won't be impacted as heavily, but if standard divisions are Torrens, don't be surprised if they take a little bit of margin off for good measure.

I think you are over estimating the cost of the sewer main extension- my Morphett Vale sewer main extension was 19m + 2 new sewer IP's cost $10k, the Plympton one I am doing now also 20m extension + 1 new sewer IP is $8k. Only took 4 weeks for SA water to get back with quote.

Ahk well if it's only $10-15k then that changes my thought process.

I've still found a lot of valuers are discounting properties on community title (when the only community provision is sewer etc), but it does depend on the area. If it is common for the area the value won't be impacted as heavily, but if standard divisions are Torrens, don't be surprised if they take a little bit of margin off for good measure.

Have these valuation been impacting the finance? I know some valuers will pick at anything to be on the safer side, but do so knowing the finance is still okay.

Most divisions in Highbury are Torrens, but then again there aren't many developments like this. Although the one that I would compare on price was also also a community division. 6 Dene Rd Highbury is Community Title.

Ahk well if it's only $10-15k then that changes my thought process.

Have these valuation been impacting the finance? I know some valuers will pick at anything to be on the safer side, but do so knowing the finance is still okay.

Most divisions in Highbury are Torrens, but then again there aren't many developments like this. Although the one that I would compare on price was also also a community division. 6 Dene Rd Highbury is Community Title.

These have been completed constructions and or vacant blocks of land. Vacant land is a lot more obvious in the pricing discrepencies naturally.

Had a chat to another developer/mentor she suggested completing the main extension and go with Torrens Title. She believes the area has more of a demand on Torrens. Also she has found with previous community title developments there would likely be further engineering work/cost to allow 3 properties to share the one connection... To do with changing the height of the pipes for function.

Mentioned this in other thread, but guess would be worthwhile being in here for any future reference.

Council came back start of week with list of what was required before any assessment would commence

Required

- Land Divsion Application
- Planned Drawings
- Shadow Diagrams (as two story)
- Fencing Plans
- Landscaping Plans
- Schedule of Colours

I ended up going with Torrens Title application. I've requested SA Water do a prelim enquiry to get me exact cost of the main extension, I won't be waiting to receive this as can take up to four weeks. It costs $296 but this is taken off the cost if I proceed, reason for doing this is to know exact cost so helps budget. And it's happening anyway so might as well pay (even if 3 gets knocked back will be required for 2)

I personally would pay the extra $33k and Torrens Title the development. I know you mention that you are going to hold the development, but should you need to sell, I can assure you, you will lose well more than $16.5k per property. It really does thin the market out.

It's not only the Sewer you need to be concerned about, it's the By-Laws that the Conveyancers draft for your Community Plan. Rarely do they spend the time to customise them to the specific development. So you end up with a 'Cut and Paste' set of By Laws from an existing development lumped onto yours. I've seen By Laws where a Community Plan of 2 developments has to obtain authorisation from the Community to install any improvement (i.e. Pergola, Pool etc)

IMO, not worth saving a few bucks now to keep your properties devalued for years to come. I agree the rents wont be effected, however the value will.

Back