My new purchase - Highbury SA

Wow Brady your architect is quick, I didn't even get a chance to finish my reply on your last set.

Architect has been great, so quick to respond.

OK I think the attached ones are great. The only question is, is that another cupboard next to the study nook upstairs? I've never seen a house with so many cupboards :)

Will be gone, idea is this is space for TV so can have couch along the wall of bedroom2

Onto yours.

Let's talk meals, kitchen & dining.

Kitchen
- if you are a big cook then I would make the kitchen bigger. There is some unused space on the meals side that is just sitting there all lonely. I would make wall benches go the full L shape for the kitchen. So all the way from the hallway entrance wrapping all the way around to the alfresco wall.
- then I would put a nice kickarse island facing the alfresco sliding doors with a 1200m gap in front for access in and out of the alfresco

Refer to attached document. Full overheads along wall. Reasonable island facing dinning, that way get best of both, alfresco to left for those sitting at the island, and for those behind get to look out right to alfresco and over to dinning.

Meals;
- absolutely no to the linen cupboard in the meals area.
- leave that as a nook where you can put a sideboard or something like that

Agree wont be a linen cupboard, thinking built in wine rack with some lighting. Be nice to look at whilst sitting at the table.

Living:
- I know this is driving you nuts but it's actually very furnishable. That window which is labled 600 x 2410 is a highlight, ie high up so you can put a sofa under that or a tv cabinet.
- I'd probably put my tv on the wall bordering the garage though and my couches under the highlight window and facing the tv

You're right struggled with the furniture but have looked closer at window size.

Powder Room
- consider putting this under the stairs then you can create a great laundry and put a laminate linen cupboard that matches the bench - bootiful

Already suggested this, but believes it would be too tight. Will ask again.

Other things.
- consider raising/coffering the ceiling of the alfresco so that you have enough height to put a ceiling fan in there and/or don't make the wall of the bbq full height. Otherwise it might struggle to get fresh air in there.
- I'm not sure the 600 x 2410 window in the master bedroom is necessary and will drive you nuts finding blinds for it. I think the big glass sliding doors will provide plenty of light. Put your bed on the wall which had the 600 x 2410 window
- think about where the towel rail will fit in the master ensuite. I like mine next to the shower so I can reach it when I come out. You might need to make that door a 720 if you want to do that

- great idea, currently it's not fully closed... in two minds do I close it so it closed off from the elements or leave BBQ open.
- Agree and I think by not having the window can put some nice artwork
- excellent call, didnt even think of this.

Thank you your feedback is amazing :)

Attachments

• Brady Changes 2.pdf
    60.5 KB · Views: 95
Architect has been great, so quick to respond.

Will be gone, idea is this is space for TV so can have couch along the wall of bedroom2

Refer to attached document. Full overheads along wall. Reasonable island facing dinning, that way get best of both, alfresco to left for those sitting at the island, and for those behind get to look out right to alfresco and over to dinning.

Agree wont be a linen cupboard, thinking built in wine rack with some lighting. Be nice to look at whilst sitting at the table.

You're right struggled with the furniture but have looked closer at window size.

Already suggested this, but believes it would be too tight. Will ask again.

- great idea, currently it's not fully closed... in two minds do I close it so it closed off from the elements or leave BBQ open.
- Agree and I think by not having the window can put some nice artwork
- excellent call, didnt even think of this.

Thank you your feedback is amazing :)

You could always put a highlight window like those 600 x 2410 above the bbq area so you can open it when you want air to come in and close it when you want to keep it out, ie winter

Don't let site area put you off....no matter what the Planner tells you, site area is not as crucial as they make it. So long as you can demonstrate every other criteria can work then site area should not be a problem. I don't remember the last time i complied with min site areas...e.g. last development we did had a min site area of 180m2, our homes ended up being on 82m2 allotments. There's a bit more to the story but as was demonstrated at the DAP meetings, site area was the least of their concerns as long as you meet most other criteria.

One thing i'd recommend with new homes is if to get the architect/draftsman to draw windows in standard sizes...that way if they're going to be rentals, you could simply pop down to Spotlight or Lincraft and buy the roller blinds without having to do any cutting. Can save a bundle of $$$ when fitting window furnishings. :D

Brady

looking forward in hearing more about your journey with this project.

wondering if you are aware of any one in adelaide that can help with site selection, getting DA and project mgt?

TIA

Brady

looking forward in hearing more about your journey with this project.

wondering if you are aware of any one in adelaide that can help with site selection, getting DA and project mgt?

TIA

I've engaged with Adelaiade Build Assist, they're builder broker. Not sure if they can assist with finding a site but likely can. They're developers themselves, they have a really good business model that works on a win win. I'm also using there architect (he is actually seperate but works in same office) after getting quotes from 4 others that came back higher, architect will liase all the way until builder selection.

Using Mattison Martyn for my surveying, architect will also liase with them.

Don't let site area put you off....no matter what the Planner tells you, site area is not as crucial as they make it. So long as you can demonstrate every other criteria can work then site area should not be a problem. I don't remember the last time i complied with min site areas...e.g. last development we did had a min site area of 180m2, our homes ended up being on 82m2 allotments. There's a bit more to the story but as was demonstrated at the DAP meetings, site area was the least of their concerns as long as you meet most other criteria.

Spoke with my family friend/mentor and she said push for 3 if possible as council will do it if it works.

Had 4 architects tell me that 3 can't be done. It ended up being my own paper sketches from my research, took them to council and got some really good feedback. Site area is approx 290sqm for Res 1 (detached) and 255sqm each for Res 2/3 (duplex).

The concept plans meet most of the Dev Plan, rear set backs are good, front setbacks are mostly spot on, only over in a few points but overall design looks good. Time will tell.

One thing i'd recommend with new homes is if to get the architect/draftsman to draw windows in standard sizes...that way if they're going to be rentals, you could simply pop down to Spotlight or Lincraft and buy the roller blinds without having to do any cutting. Can save a bundle of $$$ when fitting window furnishings. :D

All are Australian Standard sizing, have also removed windows from all bedroom1's as all 3 have balconys, leaves room for artwork above bed.

Concept Plans 4

Updated concept plans (refer to attached), will be moving to elevations next and then lodging to council ASAP.

Taken on board Myf suggestions, got the kitchen where I want it. maximised the space with a reasonable island which will allow one side for dishes/prep and otherside as a breakfast bar.

Extended alfresco out til roller door.

Removed the linen cupboard in dining room, will have a wine rack/cabinet (refer to attached)

Window in all bedroom 1's removed as balacony windows enough. Will leave room for artwork above bed.

Linen removed from study nook in duplex, will be shelves for TV etc

Attachments

• Concept Plans 4.pdf
    191.1 KB · Views: 113
  • WineRackcabinet.jpg
    WineRackcabinet.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Built in wine rack cabinet.jpg
    Built in wine rack cabinet.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 107
Love your kitchen now. Very nice.

Final suggestion from me is to change the door to the powder room on your one to be a 720 door instead of 820.

And check that fridge space is big enough for a double door fridge if you have/want one.

Love your kitchen now. Very nice.

Final suggestion from me is to change the door to the powder room on your one to be a 720 door instead of 820.

And check that fridge space is big enough for a double door fridge if you have/want one.

Read my mind on the fridge, was at the shops on the weekend with a tape measure :) all over that one.

Good call on smaller door, will allow more space in the WC

Read my mind on the fridge, was at the shops on the weekend with a tape measure :) all over that one.

Good call on smaller door, will allow more space in the WC

Good, good. Some forethought now will make it a great place to live for you. For example, I have my dishwasher positioned so that I can open it and the drawer opposite which holds all my bowls/plates etc at the same time. I can unpack the dishwasher with minimum of effort.

Imagine yourself doing a time-motion study of how you live and how it can be improved. Little things like this

d84ac1c2eb8c5001c54e0804111341fc.jpg

Love the feedback Myf.

Dishwasher will be either next to fridge or next to the right of the sink under the island.

Have thought about having lots of 'prep' space either side of the stove and near oven.

Fridge to be close to meal and living (outside will have it's own fridge).

And fridge, oven and stove have pretty clear access points to the breakfast bar/island.

I've engaged with Adelaiade Build Assist, they're builder broker. Not sure if they can assist with finding a site but likely can. They're developers themselves, they have a really good business model that works on a win win. I'm also using there architect (he is actually seperate but works in same office) after getting quotes from 4 others that came back higher, architect will liase all the way until builder selection.

Using Mattison Martyn for my surveying, architect will also liase with them.

Brady, thanks for the info looking forward to more updates on the quotes you get back.

Question for you, was there any other area you looked at besides Highbury?

Brady, thanks for the info looking forward to more updates on the quotes you get back.

Question for you, was there any other area you looked at besides Highbury?

I'm looking forward to council approval first :)

Yes looked at pretty much most of the north east corridor, Greenacres, Northfield all the way up to tea tree gully. Missed out on a corner block in Surrey Downs across the road from the Fairview Green shopping centre.

Hi Brady

I'm watching your progress with great interest- I've got a friend with a similar size corner block in Valley View, I'm encouraging him to try for 3 dwellings aswell, thanks for your detailed posts and keep em' coming.

Not going to lie, cant be 100% confident on what price I'll get from the builders. I have a client who is a builder developer who has been saying for years that he will build be awesome house at good price, but will see how that goes when the time comes.

The builder brokers are also very confident in getting me the best price, they wouldn't commit to a price per sqm, but they think their builders will be cheaper then what I can source myself. If they aren't thats fine, they dont get paid. So it's in their best interest to get lowest price.

I have a developer family friend who is in part mentoring me, she has offered more to do owner builder (has a building company), but being first project I've decided against. She is willing to pass my details onto a builder friend of hers who again she think will be very well priced.

There is no guarantees in any of this, from my calculations there is enough 'fat' in the deal for it to be profitable.

$335,000 purchase price
$18,000 purchase costs
$8,000 demolition
$33,000 subdivision
$8,000 architect
$6,000 engineering
$12,000 misc costs

Total cost for site $420,000

Approx 615sqm @ $1,100 per sqm = ~$675,000 build cost

Even if add in an extra $65,000 (approx 10%)

So then total build cost $740,000

Then total cost = $1,160,000

(developer friend/mentor believes should be able to get $1,000 per sqm and finishes driveway/landscaping/fencing/flooring for ~$30k per property, so based on her figures $705k for the build)

Min Value for Duplex $430,000 each
Min Value for Detached $450,000

Total Value $1,310,000

Which results in $150,000 minimum gain, based on larger build costs and lowest values. I wouldn't be surprise if the duplex are worth $20k more and the detached up to $40k more.

Brady

appreciate you sharing your information, I saw your initial plans and note they are all 2 storey with a build rate of $1100. This is very good value for 2 storey constructs. just curious on whether you've had any builder pencil a quote on your proposed build yet?

I'm watching your progress with great interest- I've got a friend with a similar size corner block in Valley View, I'm encouraging him to try for 3 dwellings aswell, thanks for your detailed posts and keep em' coming.

I would be pushing as much as possible. Your friend should be able to find some similar designs close by. A alot more development has happened in VV.

Brady

appreciate you sharing your information, I saw your initial plans and note they are all 2 storey with a build rate of $1100. This is very good value for 2 storey constructs. just curious on whether you've had any builder pencil a quote on your proposed build yet?

I expect build price for the standalone will end up being more, given it will be the PPOR and I'll fit it out well above the other two. No confirmation on prices haven't formally approached and builders yet. One possible builder has looked at the plans, but everything will be taken with a grain of salt for now.

Expect to have further drawings later today.

Who are you looking at building with Brady?

I was over a couple of weekends ago looking at display homes at 3 different estates. I'll be building mine with Statesman (late last week got my final plans signed and deposit paid), but i imagine they're a lower spec than what you're going for in Highbury.

Who are you looking at building with Brady?

I was over a couple of weekends ago looking at display homes at 3 different estates. I'll be building mine with Statesman (late last week got my final plans signed and deposit paid), but i imagine they're a lower spec than what you're going for in Highbury.

DT

Are you build units or H&L on a single block? Would be interested to know also what area you've chosen.

DT

Are you build units or H&L on a single block? Would be interested to know also what area you've chosen.

Building 2 houses on 1 block (subdiv into 2 green/torrens) in outer northern suburbs. I don't want to hijack brady's thread about my deal though as it's his thread. I'll create my own thread when there's more interesting stuff to share.

Back