My Subdivision Diary

Land size: 739m2
Existing dwelling: 4 bedrooms separate house
Post code: 3168
Planning: build a rear unit

Date: 8 June 2010

Contracted a draftman Cultured House to handle the subdivision process. planning permit drawing about $2000 (Will provide a full quote soon)

Date: 16 Aug 2010

Contracted Arborist (Fiona Brown at TWIG Tree Reports and Inspections) for tree assessment on Wednesday 18 August at $450.

demilition of extension room

New plan requires demolish an extension room and remove 2 sheds. Do you know how much is cost? Can I sell the sheds to someone?

watching your diary with great interest.

Have you done a feasibility on the site?
Is it your owner occ or a current IP?

You can sometimes sell sheds to people, try tradingpost.com.au or even ebay. Otherwise you should at least get some money for scrap metal. I'd contact some demo companies and scrap metal companies for quotes, they shouldn't charge you anything to quote.

Arborist report

Thanks for Roger reply. This is my PPOR.
Just talked to my arborist this morning. She told me that a neighbour's tree may affect the rear unit. She advised me that either I talk to neighbour to remove the tree or change the rear unit plan. She will give me the final report by this week. So, I will know how bad the tree impacts the rear unit.

When I did my subdivision, I pulled down sheds myself and took them to a metal recycler. they were old though. I doubt anyone would have wanted them. If they are newer colorbond ones you could put them in the local paper.

Last edited:
Plan drawing

I just received plan from my draftman. I am building the new rear unit and the existing house is supposed not change. However, the kitchen and laundering room of the existing house are lightly different from the actual existing house. The door to Laundering room from the kitchen room, not from the Lounge room.

I wonder if I have to change the existing kitchen and laundering room as the drawing after the Council approves the plan or not. If I keep the existing door to Laundering room as it is, will there is any problem?

Though the plan from draftman is reasonable but I do not want to spend money to change the existing house. I also reluctant to ask draftman to change the drawing if it is not necessary (Council will pass the construction inspection though it is different from plan).

Last edited:
put the sheds on ebay, people will pay to come and remove them. in fact they are often worth more while they are still up since people like to see them.

3 Sep 2010

Luckily, the draftman manages to put the construction 5.5 meters away from the neighbour tree but there is no significant changes of the plan. So, I do not have to spend money. I will see the draftman tomorrow to discuss about pre-application issues.

7 Sep 2010

Met draftman on last Sat. She said that everything is ready to go. We will lodge the permit application as soon as I pay the remaining fee.

I just received plan from my draftman. I am building the new rear unit and the existing house is supposed not change. However, the kitchen and laundering room of the existing house are lightly different from the actual existing house. The door to Laundering room from the kitchen room, not from the Lounge room.

I wonder if I have to change the existing kitchen and laundering room as the drawing after the Council approves the plan or not. If I keep the existing door to Laundering room as it is, will there is any problem?

Though the plan from draftman is reasonable but I do not want to spend money to change the existing house. I also reluctant to ask draftman to change the drawing if it is not necessary (Council will pass the construction inspection though it is different from plan).

I have draftman redrawed the plan for me already.

9 Dec 2010: Advertising and get objections

18 Jan 2011: Talk to David in the Monash Council on 18 Jan. Objectors have 21 days to appeal to VTAC from 19 Jan. If they appeal to VCAT, VCAT will send letter to the Council.

My suburb belongs to Monash Council. I do not sure if the draftman can handle application in other councils. you can talk to her to find out. Contact is below:

Cultured Building Designs
ph:9543 5520 Fax: 9543 3281

--
I talked to a town planner in the Monash Council on 18 Jan and get advice that the Council give objectors 21 days to appeal to VTAC from 19 Jan. If they appeal to VCAT, VCAT will send letter to the Council. If they do not appeal, the Council will approve my town planning application.

The reasons for the Neighbour objections are as follows:

1. The area is over developed.
2. Lack of street parking for the area
3. Overloading of electricity, gas and water
4. Garbage collection difficulty
5. Too many cars on the street, increasing the risk of accident to young children

The objections come from 3 members in the same family. I find that their objections are quite unreasonable.

MY QUESTIONS

1. Should I talk to objectors before they appeal to VCAT?

2. How should I deal with them nicely

--
I talked to a town planner in the Monash Council on 18 Jan and get advice that the Council give objectors 21 days to appeal to VTAC from 19 Jan. If they appeal to VCAT, VCAT will send letter to the Council. If they do not appeal, the Council will approve my town planning application.

The reasons for the Neighbour objections are as follows:

1. The area is over developed.
2. Lack of street parking for the area
3. Overloading of electricity, gas and water
4. Garbage collection difficulty
5. Too many cars on the street, increasing the risk of accident to young children

The objections come from 3 members in the same family. I find that their objections are quite unreasonable.

MY QUESTIONS

1. Should I talk to objectors before they appeal to VCAT?

2. How should I deal with them nicely

This is pretty standard NIMBY attitude. I’ve never heard of a sub-div plan NOT having objections from neighbours, but then again I haven’t been involved in too many sub-divs.

Cheers for the contact details :)

Out of interest, how large is the existing house relative to the size of the property? Is it predominantly in the front half of the property, and how much smaller will it be if you demolish the rooms you plan to?

...and those objections sound very NIMBY like. Not sure that any level of convincing would be effective as those issues are rather subjective.

Out of interest, how large is the existing house relative to the size of the property? Is it predominantly in the front half of the property, and how much smaller will it be if you demolish the rooms you plan to?

...and those objections sound very NIMBY like. Not sure that any level of convincing would be effective as those issues are rather subjective.

Existing house is about a third of the land, front half of the property. I have to demolish the extension room. That'sit.

thanks for this great thread.
How much are you allocating for this subdivision, i.e. for plans and applications, etc. until DA is approved?
I'm thinking of doing a smiliar thing this year, but not too sure how much it would cost in general. I know it could blow out, but I just want to know the base line. Thanks.

Back