NAB - No more Low Docs

I was speaking to a NAB banker today, whom I send a lot of SMSF deals through, and according to him, unnofficially, NAB will no longer be doing Low Doc resi loans - I don't know if an official announcement is coming soon.

Hopefully he's heard wrong.

Not surprising.....I think low doc loans will be very hard to get soon!:D

I was speaking to a NAB banker today, whom I send a lot of SMSF deals through, and according to him, unnofficially, NAB will no longer be doing Low Doc resi loans - I don't know if an official announcement is coming soon.

Hopefully he's heard wrong.

Thats fantastic news, i hope the rest of the big 4 banks follow through with it.
Responsible lending reduces the probability of a major crash later on (apart from the fact that im a shareholder in all 4 banks)

hi chilliaa
I like a good laugh and that one made my day.
Responsible lending
if you are a investor in the big four sorry to say thats nt been the case for the last 7 years that I have know most of them.
Responsible lending if you mentioned it half would not know what you ment and the other half would be like me and would laugh thinking you had just made a joke.
is it Responsible lending to lend to a person that has no track record in a development has no idea about development but because he can get a mate to do a fancy feaso he is auto a developer.
or is it Responsible lending to lend money to a group that decided to do a each way bet on a share so you bet with the guy that the share would go up put you matched by funding the guy that the share went down so its a case of head I loose tails I loose and thats one of those 4 you invest in.
is it Responsible lending that you have banks currently right now finishing off development that they have already lost there money back and they are 70% complete so every dollar that they throw in they have no chance of getting back and they might as well burn the money.
is it Responsible lending that you have lenders that have lent to other entityies taken the loan off there bottom line and those entities that they have lent to have now gone ito receivership leaving the borrower not only high and dry but high and dry and looking down the barrel of a liquidator not for there fault but for the fault of the 4 great pillars of our banking system.
remember next time you go to a meeting of the 4 pillar banks you invest in.
that there is one and only one reason for the wammy we are getting at the moment and thats a very simple word
greed
not Responsible lending
Responsible lending was in the seat in 2001 but it got not kicked out but thrown out on its ear in 2003 as greed took over.
and greed has been there ever since.
and as long as you have guys at the top that control there bonus with total disregard for anyone else the greed will be in that seat
now greed for me is not a problem (its is for a few)
but to think Responsible lending is comming back now thats a dream
Responsible lending RIP as it died along time ago
as for no doc/ low doc just wait it will come back but it will be called
non recoarse lending
or asset only lending.
or no income required lending.
but as long as greed is there it will come back
may even come back as a liar loan.
you will see lots of products come off the market as the market changes but one thing you will not see come back is
Responsible lending as most banks have forgotten what it is

hi chilliaa
I like a good laugh and that one made my day.
Responsible lending
if you are a investor in the big four sorry to say thats nt been the case for the last 7 years that I have know most of them.
Responsible lending if you mentioned it half would not know what you ment and the other half would be like me and would laugh thinking you had just made a joke.
is it Responsible lending to lend to a person that has no track record in a development has no idea about development but because he can get a mate to do a fancy feaso he is auto a developer.
or is it Responsible lending to lend money to a group that decided to do a each way bet on a share so you bet with the guy that the share would go up put you matched by funding the guy that the share went down so its a case of head I loose tails I loose and thats one of those 4 you invest in.
is it Responsible lending that you have banks currently right now finishing off development that they have already lost there money back and they are 70% complete so every dollar that they throw in they have no chance of getting back and they might as well burn the money.
is it Responsible lending that you have lenders that have lent to other entityies taken the loan off there bottom line and those entities that they have lent to have now gone ito receivership leaving the borrower not only high and dry but high and dry and looking down the barrel of a liquidator not for there fault but for the fault of the 4 great pillars of our banking system.
remember next time you go to a meeting of the 4 pillar banks you invest in.
that there is one and only one reason for the wammy we are getting at the moment and thats a very simple word
greed
not Responsible lending
Responsible lending was in the seat in 2001 but it got not kicked out but thrown out on its ear in 2003 as greed took over.
and greed has been there ever since.
and as long as you have guys at the top that control there bonus with total disregard for anyone else the greed will be in that seat
now greed for me is not a problem (its is for a few)
but to think Responsible lending is comming back now thats a dream
Responsible lending RIP as it died along time ago
as for no doc/ low doc just wait it will come back but it will be called
non recoarse lending
or asset only lending.
or no income required lending.
but as long as greed is there it will come back
may even come back as a liar loan.
you will see lots of products come off the market as the market changes but one thing you will not see come back is
Responsible lending as most banks have forgotten what it is

May i politely request that your responses are put into paragraphs, this would reduce the time it takes to understand your post.

OK from a brief overview view of your post:
1) i wasnt invested in Australian banks prior to 2008
2) banking stocks have already corrected some 30-40% odd during 2008, so there is some margin of safety compared to 2007, when everyone was just forecasting blue skys for everything.
3) Australian big 4 banking stocks have an investment position that is unique in the world. I have NO investments in any USA/UK or other international banks. This does not mean that Australian top 4 banks are perpetually a good investment, but a position on the Australian banks is essentially a bet against Australia's economic prospects vs their international peers coupled with the truely independent nature of the RBA (as opposed to say the USA, where the president has the right to appoint the Reserve bank governer or what ever its called over there, plus the diametrically opposed mandate of the US fed mandate of low inflation & full employment, which is a fallicy in itself and please dont get me started on this point)
4) I am currency receiving something like 11% gross dividends on banking stocks, with this sought of return (against say the long term gross performance of all listed shares of 12%) i only need 1% capital appreciation a year to match shares long term performance, i again have a margin of safety.
5) Our residential market actually 'peaked' in 2003 against the USA in 2006.
6) Our government has no debt against huge debt by the USA governemtn.
7) Our interest rates are significantly higher than in the USA, so if the **** really hits the fan, we have more room to manourver than the USA, where interst rates are only 2% odd (less after the latest interest rate cuts).

hi chilliaa
couple of things
2) banking stocks have already corrected some 30-40% odd during 2008, so there is some margin of safety compared to 2007, when everyone was just forecasting blue skys for everything this my crystal ball is not saying at all as alot of the banks inc the big four have not at this stage told apra their true position so no blue sky's for me
3) Australian big 4 banking stocks have an investment position that is unique in the world. I have NO investments in any USA/UK or other international banks thats fine that your investment desire I have no bank stocks at all I have bank debt a position on the Australian banks is essentially a bet against Australia's economic prospects vs their international peers coupled with the truely independent nature of the RBA (as opposed to say the USA, where the president has the right to appoint the Reserve bank governer or what ever its called over there, plus the diametrically opposed mandate of the US fed mandate of low inflation & full employment, which is a fallicy in itself and please dont get me started on this point)people have lot of reasons for buying stocks and shares and if this the reason for you holding these thats fine not sure if I agree that thats a good reason for holding shares in a bank
4) I am currency receiving something like 11% gross dividends on banking stocks, with this sought of return (against say the long term gross performance of all listed shares of 12%)(a bank currency bond is 9%)( and a commercial property is 12% with 4 or 5% annual increase i only need 1% capital appreciation a year to match shares long term performance, i again have a margin of safety.
5) Our residential market actually 'peaked' in 2003 against the USA in 2006 true.
6) Our government has no debt against huge debt by the USA governemtn this is not exactly true
the government does not have debt but the rest of australia does and the rest of australia has a huge debt so to say te government has no debt is not exactly correct they have pledges in the market that if turned to debt would be huge and mr rudd wishes to pledge more
7) Our interest rates are significantly higher than in the USA, so if the **** really hits the fan, we have more room to manourver than the USA, where interst rates are only 2% odd (less after the latest interest rate cuts) we have room to move with rates but the issue is not rates the issue is that each time the rba move rates down so does returns go down for a bank as the bank makes the margin on the loan rates, the big spinner for the banks is the cards and default debt because this is were the huge margins are so in this enviroment as the rates come s down people buy more onthe cards and so banks income goes up.
the issue for me is we do not have a true bench mark for bank debt so when you go if you do to a bank meeting and ask can you tell me the banks true debt so that all the debt out in the market that they have you will be very interested in the reply .
as debt can be moved off the balance sheet and onto someone elses even thou you are still carrying that debt very creative accounting and until this issue is address and to date it has not you have no ideas of the risk of the entity that you have your money with unless yours is in a deposit and then mr rudd has backed that

I am glad that we have people that still believe that our banks are very strong
I don't
but it does give a bit more strenght to the market

NAB aren't the only ones.

Low doc loans are a thing of the past. They will now be a rarity and all banks have tightened up their Low Doc process.

Kev
Kevin Hockey Business Solutions

yes you can get direct property commercial yields at 10-12%.... If you flick back through the last 10 copies of the Fin Review i can remember 4-5 properties that sold on that type of yield (10-50mil price range)...

Id imagine some LPT's are trading mid teens... But its not all about yield. Capital preservations good to...

Something like Westfield Bondi, Westfield Parramatta, Westfield Doncaster are trading on 4.5% yields. Pre credit crunch the majority of A grade commercial buildings were on yields of 5.50%-6.25% across the country. At June that blew out of 5.88%-6.75%. Property companies are now quoting another 50 basis points blow out since. While each property is different depending on the tenant profile and you dont get franking credits, the tenant does pay all outgoings for you (including your management fee) so its not all bad.

ANZ lo docs to 60% LVR

I was chatting to an ANZ lending manager today - as of next Friday they don't do 80% LVR low docs anymore - but will do 60%ers. :eek:

Yep its official

Effective Friday, 7th November, Anz Bank Lo Doc 80 will no longer be available.All new applications must be submitted by close of business, Friday, 7th November in order to receive the Lo Doc 80 product facility. Those applications received after this date, will no longer be eligible for this.Lo Doc 80 applications that are currently unconditionally approved will be honoured for the normal approval period (i.e. 6 months). However, variances will not be considered. Approval in Principles will be reviewed on a case by case basis.Please note that Standard LMI refund policy will still apply for a cancellation of a Lo Doc

Hiya

Responsible lending.

Interesting figures in our little portfolio of clients' loans.

Our average delinquency rate is close to zero for both full doc and lo doc.

I know many other brokers where the numbers arent much different.

If that anecdotal evidence holds, I would say a properly constructed lo doc policy with moderated lvr isnt any less repsonsible than any full doc facility at 97 % lvr for eg

ta
rolf

hi chilliaa
yes direct investing can get 12%
they have usually built in annual increases mine are 4 and 5% so the rent increases and hense the net yield.
I have just done a shoping center and a hotel refinance and they were both 9% property only so yes they are usually around these numbers.
And I don't see a problems with comm as long as you have a long term tennant ad you have 6 to 9 months worth of rent/lease up front as a bond and the property is high quality

Last edited:
hi chilliaa
yes direct investing can get 12%
they have usually built in annual increases mine are 4 and 5% so the rent increases and hense the net yield.
I have just done a shoping center and a hotel refinance and they were both 9% property only so yes they are usually around these numbers.
And I don't see a problems with comm as long as you have a long term tennant ad you have 6 to 9 months worth of rent/lease up front as a bond and the property is high quality

No i wasnt posting a sarcastic comment, i genuinely thought commercial ylds were only around 4-5%.
At 12% cash yld thats very attractive.
And you are correct commercial property lease conditions that better favour the landlord compared to residential property.

Responsible lending.

Interesting figures in our little portfolio of clients' loans.

Our average delinquency rate is close to zero for both full doc and lo doc.

I know many other brokers where the numbers arent much different.

If that anecdotal evidence holds, I would say a properly constructed lo doc policy with moderated lvr isnt any less repsonsible than any full doc facility at 97 % lvr for eg

ta
rolf

Full documentation alone seems a poor predictor of delinquency risk.

301008_dg_graph7.gif

Hiya WW

SO the overall delinquency rate is running below 1 %, since I recall the bank vs non bank was around 70/30.

1 in 100 mortgaged households is therefore arrears by more than 90 days ?

It would be enlightening if we could overlay some LVR stats on this lot.

Interesting to see that the 5 banks delinquency growth has doubled since 2006 whereas Macq bank et al have stayed relatively steady.

ta
rolf

Back