NAPLAN test - is 'old' an adjective?

Is 'old' an adjective?

So my 8 yo has been doing grade 3 Naplan tests.

one of the trial questions they did in class was this:

Which word in this sentence is an adjective (describing word): "The old horse walked slowly around the oval"

you could choose old, walked, slowly or oval as your answer.

..what would you go with?

My 8 yo picked 'old' and it was marked incorrect. I though slow-ly was an adverb not an adjective...

..do i need to back to grade 3, or did the teacher have one too many reds when they were marking it..or,

ps don't want this thread to turn into a debate about pros and cons of NAPLAN etc :)

Last edited:
old = adjective (horse = noun)
slowly = adverb (walked = verb)
oval = noun when referring to a thing as here, and adjective when referring to the shape of a thing (i.e. an oval plate)

i refuse to let my children take part in these tests - my eldest is due to take hers next year. she'll be *cough cough* absent that day.

the wa curriculum council dont listen to schools anyway, so whats the point?

i mean, the previous example by the OP shows the true nature of these tests, where the people marking them dont even understand what they're doing.

old = adjective (horse = noun)
slowly = adverb (walked = verb)
oval = noun when referring to a thing as here, and adjective when referring to the shape of a thing (i.e. an oval plate)

Agree 100% with you Belbo.....mark that down, it'll never happen again.

Adjectives always describe nouns.

Adverbs always describe verbs.

There was only one adjective in that sentence, and it was "old".

Hi Lawry,

I do think you should take this further, no point in teaching children the wrong thing plus your child's confidence in her knowledge will be shaken.

When you think you "know" something and you are marked as incorrect it can effect the performance in future through lack of confidence

As pedantic as it may seem, I think you should bring it up with the teacher.

Your child shouldn't be learning that unequivocally correct answers can be overridden by their superiors.

You will have an Orwellian on your hands.

From what I know about Naplan, the tests go away to be marked and the resulting data compiled.

Sounds as if the teacher was working through the paper giving the "correct" (or not-so-correct) answers.
Marg

Aaron, curious to know why you wouldn't want your child to take part. I'm of the opinion that some experience under test conditions is a good thing.

so am i

im not saying i want it to be anything as severe as the singaporean school system that i went through but i dont see the problem with some tests and pressure

kids are such precious petals nowadays, tiny bit of pressure and they need a therapist/valium

Aaron, curious to know why you wouldn't want your child to take part. I'm of the opinion that some experience under test conditions is a good thing.

has nothing to do with the pressure of tests. my kids all compete in sport, not just participate for the fluff of it.

it has to do with the data, who is collecting it, its security, how that data is used an how trickle-down funding is supposedly not linked to it.

tell me the truth and let me be the judge.

has nothing to do with the pressure of tests. my kids all compete in sport, not just participate for the fluff of it.

it has to do with the data, who is collecting it, its security, how that data is used an how trickle-down funding is supposedly not linked to it.

tell me the truth and let me be the judge.

Wow! Then the sound of helicopters must really do your head in.

i like it when they bring the test/ results home, and I can do the test and see whether I'm smarter than a 5th grader.

oh, I am so warped!! :cool::eek: :eek:

maybe I should include that in the vice thread!!

Back