Nathan Tinkler. Tonight 4 corners.

Watched it....wow what a path of destruction this bloke left!

Apparently...he has a long histroy of not paying bills...geez louise...would not want to be him if we has in Newcastle or Hunter...lots of people would be very angry.

Just a heads up that 4 corners tonight is doing a story on Nathan Tinkler. Sounds like it will be real interesting.

See ya's.

Watched it....wow what a path of destruction this bloke left!

Apparently...he has a long histroy of not paying bills...geez louise...would not want to be him if we has in Newcastle or Hunter...lots of people would be very angry.

Problem is, it is likely he will repeat this behaviour again on his next rise up. It is fathomable he will do something substantial again in his life as he is not that old.

I don't think it has anything to do with being a bogan. It is a lack of respect and deficit of integrity that creates the path of destruction in his wake. I have a recalcitrant outgoing commercial tenant we still have a considerable sum owing to us. He was always late paying his outgoings and we ended up having to put him on a gross lease with increased rent to buffer the outgoing costs. He owes us rent and make-good works cost and loss of rent due to not fulfilling make-good obligations, legals and still chasing.

It is the modus operandi of these people that consider leaving providers unpaid is somehow OK whilst their egos are fed with trinkets and other ostentatious displays. It certainly reflects poorly on him and all those who behave this way.

Who knows how many creditors (small biz) Nathan Tinkler sent to the wall that weren't shown on the show last night.

Just watching it now

In Search of Nathan Tinkler

What do you do when you engineer a deal that delivers you a $440 million windfall? Spend it, and then set about putting together another deal that will deliver an even bigger bonanza. That's what mining magnate Nathan Tinkler did and the strategy made him Australia's youngest ever billionaire. Now he's been forced into a fire-sale of assets. Will he rise again or is he down for the count?

"Tinkler sort of indulged all the stereotypical Australian male passions, horse racing, fast cars, footy teams, all of those businesses are money pits, you know. You put a lot of money and you get very little out."

Four Corners tries to find out what makes Nathan Tinkler tick. How did the boy from Inverell engineer the deals that put him on Australia's rich list and how did things go wrong?

Reporter Stephen Long tracks down the people who knew Nathan Tinkler as a hard-running rugby league player, those who helped him get to the top and those he burnt along the way. Long delivers an unvarnished portrait of a man with an apparently insatiable appetite for risk. Whether he's backing horses or buying coal leases, Tinkler is prepared to roll the dice.

There was also this ABC News Story

Nathan Tinkler: Admired by some, disliked by many

Nathan Tinkler, the working class bloke who became a billionaire, would be admired if it was not for his behaviour along the way.

Continues..

Just a heads up that 4 corners tonight is doing a story on Nathan Tinkler. Sounds like it will be real interesting.

See ya's.
Thanks for the link,there is a lot of builders out there like this gentleman I like the text message his sends the people under-him:rolleyes:,one good item was some of the prices he paided for nth nsw racing stock set up some ladies I know who are in the livestock game for life..imho..

I can never understand when people with so much cash find the need to keep pushing the limits to get more.

He received $440m and lost/spent most of it in a year. That takes a lot of effort.

I cant understand why he didn't retire and just live of $10m plus a year.

I can never understand when people with so much cash find the need to keep pushing the limits to get more.

He received $440m and lost/spent most of it in a year. That takes a lot of effort.

I cant understand why he didn't retire and just live of $10m plus a year.

He seems to have made a big capital gain and used that backing to obtain other peoples funds to, basically, gamble with. Perhaps he has a compulsion to take those sorts of risks after having his initial success. Double or nothing.

what journalistic beat up! and for that lawyer to say you can just go round in a shelf company and clock up debts to never be repaid is either deceptive or seriously misinformed. Then quoting people that were owed a lot and paid... whoopy doo.

He seems to have made a big capital gain and used that backing to obtain other peoples funds to, basically, gamble with. Perhaps he has a compulsion to take those sorts of risks after having his initial success. Double or nothing.
In the days when our properties were gaining rapidly, we had the same temptations. We were successful in what we had done, and there was money available relatively quickly due to the gain in equity. It seemed almost like a game of monopoly, with the numbers adding on quickly.

When the numbers were so much bigger, and with the risk spread through a larger number of investments, it would have been so easy to keep going as if it was never going to stop, as Mr Tinkler appears to have done.

He is living his life out on the end of the rope like the guy said . It seems like he has made a few enemies and maybe needs to watch his back the way it reads ...

I agree with the saw miller fellow that we need more people like him to take risks and push the limits a bit .

We have to change the way failure is treated in Australia I reckon . Take on some of the things that go on in the US . You know it !

I LOL'd when they read out his text message... too funny. the bloke was no doubt a fair weather friend and probably deserved that

"I don't know how Nathan's (story) will end. I wish him well. I hope the best for him but it seems that he's going the same way as that kind of person always seems to go."

..'that kind of a person' never backs down. No doubt in my mind he will rise up again..

Because if he had that attitude he wouldn't have done what he did in the first place and had millions to play with.

When he started he was almost broke, then he made $440m. Now he has a lot more to lose - I would think the mindset would change. At the beginning he had nothing to lose, he was almost broke.

I struggle to understand why you would need more than this amount and why you would be prepared to risk it all if you had it.

Some of the reporting was a bit sensationalised.

The way they kept bringing up '$1 companies' was ridiculous. This is how most of Australian small business works. Unless you are listed almost always the share issue value will be $1.

I struggle to understand why you would need more than this amount and why you would be prepared to risk it all if you had it.

I guess he never heard the saying quit while your ahead, he was almost broke beforehand and once he got a taste of the money he couldn't stop? Almost like an addiction ;)

Some of the reporting was a bit sensationalised.

The way they kept bringing up '$1 companies' was ridiculous. This is how most of Australian small business works. Unless you are listed almost always the share issue value will be $1.

totally agree - ridiculous

and any business of that size would have a string of court cases... would love to air telstras as an example. just because some clown dishes up an invoice doesn't mean it is right

then those blokes laying in the boot re $30k of $80k... that should mostly be profit anyway - no reason why you can't pay wages from that.

one giant grizzle fest

Back