Navra Performance Fee

Andrew_A said:
It's possible Steve is waiting for results like this:

Steve's stated returns pre bull market when asked by me some time ago.

Year.... Nav Return...ASX/200... Outperform% ... Fee... .3946.... Net Return
2001/2002 24.25%, -7.86%, 32.11%, 12.67%, 11.58%
2002/2003 15.77%, -6.26%, 25.28%, 9.98%, 5.79%

Compare that to a common hedge funds 2% + 20% (outperform) structure and consider.
All trading systems look great during back testing though which is what those results are. The Navra fund is only a couple of years old.

mdk92 said:
All trading systems look great during back testing though which is what those results are. The Navra fund is only a couple of years old.
Can't have seen some of my attempts at systems then.

Steve's stated returns, not testing.

My understanding is those were Steve's trading returns and that he was using the same methodology then as he is now, thats my recollection of events, happy to be corrected by SN if it's not the case.

Andrew_A said:
My understanding is those were Steve's trading returns and that he was using the same methodology then as he is now, thats my recollection of events, happy to be corrected by SN if it's not the case.
Andrew,

Don't think Steve will be correcting you over here. He's not reading this forum much anymore and isn't even posting on InvestEd at the moment. He's just had an operation on both eyes to try and restore his vision and is taking longer to recover than first planned as I understand it. He's had to defer some of his presentations to clients to allow more recovery time.

Cheers,
Michael.

Seriously, during that bear market period, I would have thought that you would need more of a system than just buying bluechips as they dropped, and offloading when they went up to have achieved 15% and 25% returns, as in 2001/02, and 2002/03. More than DCT.

I would have thought you would need a lot of cash on hand, [like I mean maybe 40%] to really take advantage of the slumps like Sept 11 2001, and possibly do some short selling.

What cash levels does the fund generally run at?

Platinum funds regularly hold 30/40% cash, and also short sell, and they prospered from 2000 to 2003.

Once again, I know nothing of how Steves system works.

See ya's.

Last edited:
Horses for Courses - How many people read Jan Sommers books and dont do anything - and how many read them and stop at only 1 IP?

I own some Navra retail shares -used the equity in 1 IP - earned almost $50k since Dec, 05 - its an income producing fund - helps pay the $12k land tax bill. Also own 3 IP's and pay only 10% tax on $100k salary -ve gear

In the process of redeaming some Aussie Navra funds - have to pay capital gains tax (bummer) and am using funds to purchase Navra USA funds - say 30% of portfolio.

USA fund pays % each quarter and I'd say the Aussie fund will follow.
So for my particular circumstance - better than sliced bread.

redwing said:
That one threw me as well James:eek: where is this forum going nowadays..

Hi,

From Investorwords.com:

"Top Down":

An investment strategy which first finds the best sectors or industries to invest in, and then searches for the best companies within those sectors or industries. This investing strategy begins with a look at the overall economic picture and then narrows it down to sectors, industries and companies that are expected to perform well. Analysis of the fundamentals of a given security is the final step.

Hope this helps.

Kenny

Hmmm !!! Yeah - abbreviations are great (except when they're not ....)
RichardC said:
I spend half the weekend reading/listening on the web, doing top-down anal.

"Analysis" always was going to be a difficult one to abbreviate :D

Regards,

Hi Cheeks

I have money in Navra Invest and it certainly isn't underperforming the stocks I previously held directly (I actually tried some direct investment following some of the tips a prominent 'anti-Navra' forumite posted a while back, but it didn't go that well :-( )

Scoreboard
Navra : 1
Instant Expert Just Add Water : 0

I think its expected NI won't earn their performance fee in a constantly rising market. The company has the ability to move to a set fee at any time as per PDS, I understand they have chosen not to so far, because of the company philosophy.

No doubt one of the many 'prophets of doom' on here could analyse their publicly available financials and give you an exact timeframe till the 'imminent demise'. These same prophets will then disclaim their advice by saying "but I don't know the specifics". Naysayers have existed for thousands of years - and they will for thousands of years yet, till the big boom.

Thing is, so far I haven't seen any of the 'prophet's' predictions actually come true. I just keep getting good returns and having a tidy profit left over. Beats the s*** out of doing nothing, or making big claims about how much more I know (with no specific examples to back it up).

If the Navra Invest future is of a real concern to you, I'd suggest hang on and see what happens next quarter, and next year, and the year after that ... I am sure the ol' Navra name will still be getting dragged up for all the same old tired reasons ... I think the anal. abbreviation is 'freudianly appropriate' - if that's a term.

In the meantime I'm going along for the low-maintenance / decent income ride, unless I find something better, suited to my personal circumstances

Have fun with your chosen investments, and don't be too concerned about others' ;-)

Carl

TryHard said:
Hi Cheeks

I have money in Navra Invest and it certainly isn't underperforming the stocks I previously held directly (I actually tried some direct investment following some of the tips a prominent 'anti-Navra' forumite posted a while back, but it didn't go that well :-( )

Carl

I'll repeat myself.

First of all , if you're seriously asking for advice , I wouldn't ask a bunch of strangers on a property forum for their advice.... and I certainly wouldn't ask a bunch of strangers on stock market forum . That would even be worse.

The biggest disadvantage of taking tips for when to buy shares from strangers , is they're unlikely to advise you when they sell. I have a stop loss which I review each week and I won't be telling you what it is .

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=203604&postcount=13

See Change

I agree Seech - I was simply making a point. I've yet to see anyone with a decent system who is prepared to share it with the 'great unwashed' on an open forum. And I can assure you the advice I followed from here was with a small speculative amount of money for my own educational purposes ;-)

I chose a managed fund with an income focus because its what I need at the moment, and have no time to learn more. I have no doubt I could have done a lot better elsewhere, or maybe lost the lot. The fund I have chosen does the job I want it to do. That's really all that matters in my situation.

Cheers
Carl

OH PS - it wasn't you I was referring to, if that's what you thought ;-)

Carl

You're wrong.

Check out Tech Trader on Reef cap have taken an intiial investment of 30 K in late 2002 to over 300K now, and there are many people who are following this system . Techtrader ever has it's own sub forum on reefcap now.

John ( Tech A) from adelaide, has been sharing ( pun ...sorry ) his experience on the net for many years, and apart from the knowledge he has personally gained, doesn't get paid for it.

http://lightning.he.net/cgi-bin/suid/~reefcap/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=74

See Change

See Change,

I've been interested in Tech Trader's system for a while now and still browse Reefcap every now and again. It just seems way to hard for me to get my head around. The results are phenomenal, and I like the principles that he employs. I know that your system is different, but I was just wondering how hard it is to actually get a tech trading system up and running using one of the automated software trading tools?

Its on my "to do" list, but somehow just keeps getting deferred due to the perceived complexity of it.

Thanks,
Michael.

see_change said:
Carl

You're wrong.

See Change

Actually Seech, I'm right. I said "I've yet to see anyone...". NOW I'm no more right or wrong, but better educated, thanks to another gem from the Somersoft forum ;-) Thanks

Carl

I'd be lying if I said you could do it in a couple of months. First you need to read up about the basic concepts of trading. There's currently a thread on the best five trading books on reefcap . You do have to have an interest in doing it. I enjoy it , and considered it a challange to get to the point where I can make money. I think I'm just getting there . At the end of this financial year, I'll spend the time and document what returns I've made for the year , but to busy at the moment.

I picked up a lot by osmosis over a couple of years, and then spent a few months testing to find a system that would work. Most people will loose money when they first trade, so start small, and then after a while reevaluate and go again.

Read several books, start reading the threads on some where like reefcap , untill you understand that most people are talking about and then buy a program , You will find there are people around who will help you to get things set up , or you can even use some one like Kaveman who will set up some basic systems for you to fiddle with ( for a very reasonable fee ).

See Change

See Change,

Thanks for the response. I expected that it would take quite a bit of time and effort to achieve the requisite skill level to apply the tech trading principles yourself. I know which books I need to read as I do browse the Reefcap forum on occassion. As I said, its on my "to do" list and I aim to get started with my education on the topic by reading Nick's "Adaptive Analysis for Australian Stocks" as a bit of a starter.

I've just got to finish off my MBA now and then free some brain space again for learning in a different direction. At least I've still got a fair degree of youth on my side. In the interim I will persist with a suite of diversified managed funds until I am confident enough to go it alone.

Thanks for your contributions,
Michael.

You read Nicks book after you've started trading and can't make money. It makes more sense then .

Somethings you have to see for yourself, and I havn't met any trader who hasn't gone through a loosing pahse initially.

You start off with money you can afford to loose.

See Change

Back