Need a townhouse builder in Sydney

Before anyone suggest to owner build, no, that is not an option.

I have two questions:

1. I have a block which I should be able to subdivide to build 4 townhouses. However, this is not a certainty. I can, however, surely build a duplex very easily for about 400k, and probably reap a 20-30% return on the whole project. But the townhouse if approved and completed in time will give me a return of 50%, but riskier, and will take probably a year longer at least. What do you suggest I do? I have build 4 houses so far, one in Sydney, others in QLD. So not a complete rookie. Note, finance is not a problem for either the duplex or the townhouse project.

2. Who are the reliable townhouse builders in Sydney? I want to shortlist 3-4 builders before I make a decision. Hoping to spend about 800-900k to build the 4 townhouses of about 20sq two story, not including drive, landscaping, approvals etc.

ynnug.

Won't the council tell you what you can build on your block, based on zoning, block size, frontage width, restrictions, etc?

Once you find this out then you can reconsider your options.

If you can build 4 townhouses instead of a duplex and make more profit, why not, especially since finance is no issue.

Why will building 4 townhouses take at least 1 year longer than a duplex?

hi
need to know where
it does depend where the build is to say you should build townhouse or duplex
your numbers are a little low in this market but if you used a project builder should be able to get to them
the council is the problem
the time of approval does depend where it is.
if you tell me where I can send a couple for that area if need be

hi
need to know where
it does depend where the build is to say you should build townhouse or duplex
your numbers are a little low in this market but if you used a project builder should be able to get to them
the council is the problem
the time of approval does depend where it is.
if you tell me where I can send a couple for that area if need be

Hi Grossread, The block falls under Parammatta council.

If I want to subdivide a block to build a duplex, what do I need?

If I wanted to use a project builder, how does this process work?

1. Do I subdevide first and then approach the project builder? What do I need to do if I took this approach?
2. Can I make the project builder survey the land, come up with the duplex siting, and then apply for CA and subdivision together?

I think some of project builders would be able to include the town planning process in their services from the very beginning (I think Metricon offers this), but I would expect you would have to pay more than if you organised it yourself through a town planning consultancy. But I guess it is up to you if you would prefer the one company to run through the whole process themselves rather than working with a separate town planning consultancy.

I am not entirely sure about the process in Sydney, but I imagine it would be fairly similar to QLD.

I know in QLD it is not so much a subdivision as it is obtaining a development approval for the Material Change of Use (MCU) to increase the intensity of the land to allow the development of townhouses or duplex.

If approved the DA will allow the townhouses/duplex's to be built - but just because it becomes approved for 4 townhouses doesn't mean the land has been subdivided. The DA has a time frame of 2-4 years + you could get extensions once operational works starts, etc. But the land is only subdivided into different titles once you commence the build. If nothing is commenced the DA will lapse and will remain the standard residential lot once this period is up.

Usually you would need plans to accompany your application for townhouses/duplex but your town planner/ architect or draf tsmen can work this out for you, you don't necessarily need a builder at this stage - but if you went with a project builder than maybe you would. If you didn't use a project builder than once the DA is approved you would start contacting different builders and look decide which for the best price/most reliable builders.

I think it would definitely be worth looking up your property on the planning and development online section for your local council - check for any constraints or overlays that might cause delays.

We don't know what your land characteristics are - but assuming it holds fewer constraints (sloping, easements, flooding, unstable soils etc.) and the block has a wide frontage, decent size as well as accessibility to transport, shops, public open space, schools, etc.

This could give you an indication of whether to go the townhouse or duplex route. The less issues/constraints and better physical characteristics of the land and locality to infrastructure should increase councils tendency towards it and outline a smoother development approval process for townhouses. If a number of issues are identified - than the townhouse approval process may be delayed and take a lot more time and in this case a duplex is much more likely to be a better option as it could be approved quicker with less conditions.

It would also be worth contacting council to ask them about their views on your surrounding area? Do they expect a housing shortage in the future? Are they encouraging more dual occs? Or do they want to keep the medium density in different zones (i.e. along the train line corridor)?

Last edited:
Thanks YPG.
You are saying that DA comes first and a separate subdivision application follows later.
I can see many DA+subdivision applications lodged (and approved) for duplex builds in the council website. May be what you are saying is true for townhouse applications.

So there are private town planning consultancies. I need to get hold of some.

Back