Need help to shut the main water switch

Hi everyone

I have got a leaking toilet where there is constant water flowing to the cistern even not in use, could anyone tell me how I fix it myself or I will have to get a plumber?

One other thing I noted is water still flows out from all the taps in the house even after I switch off the main water valve outside the house.....

Thx heaps for help!

Hi everyone

I have got a leaking toilet where there is constant water flowing to the cistern even not in use, could anyone tell me how I fix it myself or I will have to get a plumber?

One other thing I noted is water still flows out from all the taps in the house even after I switch off the main water valve outside the house.....

Thx heaps for help!

Should be a stop tap for the toilet, usually below the cistern.

As mentioned above normally there is a tap beside the toilet.

Turning off the outside tap should work if it is not stuffed. Often the last turn is tight and it might take opening and closing it a couple times to clear the buildup of crap internally.

I assume your waiting a couple minutes for the water to drain from the lines when opening the inside taps.

If the main valve is stuffed you can call the water corp to get it repaired. I had to once before and was not charged anything. Unfortunately they also changed the water meter and bills jumped a bit.

As mentioned above normally there is a tap beside the toilet.

Turning off the outside tap should work if it is not stuffed. Often the last turn is tight and it might take opening and closing it a couple times to clear the buildup of crap internally.

I assume your waiting a couple minutes for the water to drain from the lines when opening the inside taps.

If the main valve is stuffed you can call the water corp to get it repaired. I had to once before and was not charged anything. Unfortunately they also changed the water meter and bills jumped a bit.

THx guys for the repsonse but I have already turned off the tap next to the toilet........any other idea?

THx guys for the repsonse but I have already turned off the tap next to the toilet........any other idea?

As Doovalacky suggested ,call your local water board, they should rewasher the tap at the front.

Then you can rewasher the cistern stop tap and repair the cistern.

If you are lucky you maybe able to open the garden taps and any taps lower than the cistern stop tap to divert the flow, then repair cistern.

Hi everyone

Turning off the tap at the toilet will let you repair it.
Depending on the style/brand there is an arrangement of a float and a plunger that seals against the outlet inside the tank.
Often there is a washer at the bottom of the plunger that fails.

Bunnings and Plumbing supplies shops carry replacement parts. Many times I just buy the complete kit to replace the internals.

Whenever I find a toilet (either mine, or a public toilet) which is continually running after being flushed, I hit the flush button hard and fast, and it stops it from running. I dont know whether that will solve your problem, but its always worked for me. :)

the quickest way to check if it is the seal on the bottom of the outlet valve, is to take it out, usually by twisting it, taking of the rubber seal and cleaning it. Put it back on upside down s the fresh side is sealing and this should stop the problem.
the other issue could be the inlet valve is not shutting off when the tank is full. if this id the case see if the float ( the bit that moves) is free moving up and down. Watch the cistern refill without the lid on then you will be able to tell if it is inlet or outlet valve

Sometimes the tiny little metal float mechanism and metal arm that operates it gets stuck, letting out an annoying little hissing sound as the water flows over the lip of the rim and continues to drip into the toilet and the float wants to keep it filled up.

In the old days, you could simply bend the metal arm slightly and she'd be apples.

Nowadays, like everything, it's all been replaced by cheap ***** plastic and if you try that, everything just snaps.

thx heaps guys

I think the sealer at the outlet of the toilet tank fails

I will carry the toilet tank:eek: and show them in bunning today

Last edited:
thx heaps guys

I think the sealer at the outlet of the toilet tank fails

I will carry the toilet tank:eek: and show them in bunning today
Sometimes time wise, it's cheaper to just buy a new unit once you start playing around with the internal working it all just falls apart,unlike brass
it lasts forever..

Back