Need Ideas/Imagination

Hi guys

I am working on another childcare centre and for some reason I have gone blank on any ideas for creating an inviting facade. For some reason I have just lost my creative touch this time around.

The architect has created this render and was wondering if any one out there has any ideas on how to make the facade much more inviting/kid friendly.

We can't go too crazy on colours/design as we are required to stay 'similar to the street scape'

See attached.

I am an honest guy and would send anyone a very nice hamper if I end up using their idea.

Let those creative juices flow.

Attachments

• Child Care Centre.JPG
    Child Care Centre.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 209
It either needs a sign saying "Childcare Prison" to replace Childcare Centre - cause that's what it looks like now :eek: or something like this, which I stole off The Simpsons.

Attachments

• ClownSchool.jpg
    ClownSchool.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 110
It either needs a sign saying "Childcare Prison" to replace Childcare Centre - cause that's what it looks like now :eek: or something like this, which I stole off The Simpsons.

Agree, the architect makes them in a bland colour scheme as that is what council wants...... or so their DCP rules want.

Im thinking on changing the pitches of the roof as there is a big potential for the house to look like an angry face.

Agreed about the pitch of the rooves - I see the angry face now too :)

The present design on the roof pitch, must mean some box gutters which you'd want to avoid too, I would've thought?

I think it's the colour of the brickwork that says 'correctional' centre. It looks a bit like the pig from Angry Birds. It needs a friendly colour scheme change.

most important elements are:

1. colour - bright and colourful

2. building shape - rounded edges

3. signage - massive photo of children , rainbow , grass and sun light

I think the above will be very invitiing

Ok I think you can turn around the angry face by focussing on the butterfly aspects

Is this a business you will own?

Change the centre windows to be 4 long narrow vertical windows to get rid of the eyes but still let in light

Choose lighter colours like shale grey roof, surfmist render, Austral biscotti bricks, wood look garage door then play with the rendered portico colours, the yellow may still go.

Use silver frames not black

Use some perspex or corten steel laser cut panels for the fence with whimsical patterns or butterflies. No need for out there colours just something fun.

00bee6090709c47b75f9679711705ae9.jpg

I'm 100% with westminster. Didn't get a chance to post anything but was looking at ideas. I would suggest the key isn't so much colours as you said council aren't going to like this... so would play more onto textures and different layers, this is interesting for all ages.

Not sure if this would even be allowed or feasible but what about some planter boxes to soften it a bit. I could see the yellow rendered part with flower boxes with some bright red geraniums, geranuims don't attract bees and are very hardy. Otherwise I have seen a childcare centre which has silhouettes of children playing, these could be attached to the building either on the rendered bits or brickwork. It wouldn't have to be really bright, the soft yellow and other complementary colours could be used. Would definitely make it look more like a childcare centre.

My local vet has a large dinosaur in the front garden. Everyone knows the site.

You could make it green to match the vegetation or brown to match the bricks.

Seriously, render the bricks.

Check out this fence in Melbourne - or Glebe public school in Sydney.

Which LGA are you in ? I don't know any Council that would want something this conservative

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-10 at 11.47.09 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-10 at 11.47.09 pm.png
    770 KB · Views: 132
Thanks guys for all the tips, a lot of great ideas here.

I wont tell you which council its in as I must remain discrete because 5/6 proposed childcare centres in this council have been rejected (strong nimby culture). If it gets out that I am proposing a childcare centre in their suburb they will have more time lobby/petition...

Ill update this thread once my architect has re-designed.

Back