Need Reno advice on exterior of house 70's brick

What can I do to freshing up this house exterior ?

I plan to fix eves by sanding and painting and gutter also but not sure what colour to paint them?

White Same as balustrade?

Or cream colour like the brick?

how much would a house this cost to render ?

http://i.imgur.com/CCfSwOm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VEuSzny.jpg

Just remember once you render and paint it will always require maintenance.
I presume you mean facia board to paint not eve as eve will be Asbestos.
I think all I would do is maybe upgrade the concrete balustrade to glass.

Yes facia is what I meant thanks

Wouldn't glass look too modern for an arched house?

I wouldn't go the framless glass but a powder coated frame with top handrail and glass.
Might also be expensive to get rid of all that concrete unless you can find a good Greek family to give it to.

I agree with NWW on the render and balustrade..

Rendering will require maintenance and IMO look sterile compared to the texture of brick.. Give it a few more years and 70's brick may be in style :cool:

Steel powder coated glass frame (or maybe painted black?) will look good without being too modern.

It looks Italian to me. I was wondering if you could replace the white with wrought iron and match it with a new colour gutters.

Rendering would be expensive and need maintenance as would painting. Having said that, painting with a textured paint could look good.

The house looks very stereotypically Mediterranean to me. :)

I would get rid of the chunky balustrading as suggested by nww, and I'd also get rid of the arches by getting a masonry cutter to square off the openings. Almost nobody likes those arches. :eek:

I'd also get the masonry cutter to cut the pedestals (?) that stick up from the brick fencing, they look odd.

The house looks very stereotypically Mediterranean to me. :)
With apologies in advance to the Greeks, I think in the non-PC days, they'd be called Wog Palace or Wog Mansion. Actually I know a few owners and agents that would still call them that :)

I'd also get the masonry cutter to cut the pedestals (?) that stick up from the brick fencing, they look odd.
Or render them and put horizontal slat timbers between them - like some of the modern fences I've seen around for a while.

if its a IP or you are looking for a cheap job, why dont you respray the bricks a grey or a modern brown/mocha colour?

a full day + paint youd be done

Cutting the arches out would then require render to cover it all right?

The metal balustrade sounds good

Does anyone have any pictures of these Renos done to a house like this?

Yea that's right lintels as well. Probably not worth it for this house.

Just want to freshen up the exterior abit. But not Go over the top

I can't agree it's not worth it to put in a lintel. For me - and I suspect many to most buyers - removing the arches is the difference between "a candidate" and "ugh, unbuyable".

Really that bad?

What if it looked like the render house in above post?
For me, the arches are a deal-breaker, and doing anything else is "lipstick on a pig". But maybe others don't feel as strongly about it. (Though I suspect from my kudos that others agree. :) )

By "deal-breaker", I mean if I bought it as a PPOR, I'd have to get rid of the arches and would factor that into what I was willing to pay. Leaving the arches in would actually increase its attractiveness to me as a purchase, because I think it devalues the house by a lot more than the cost of removing them. I can't imagine removing them would cost more than $5-10K, and removing them improves the price *I* think it's worth by $30K or more.

If I were renting, I just wouldn't consider it. I couldn't come home to such an ugly house every day.

Ouch lol

I see your point though. Same house but more modernized would sell for more.

It is a ppor but I would spend money to make it increase in value.

If I cut the arches then I would require render as well. How much do you think that would cost?

I would recommend that you use white stucco, put some clear perspex behind the balsustrade to prevent climbing, add a couple of half thickness corinthian columns to the front facade and of course replace the statue at the front with a little boy peacing.

Back