Need Urgent advice: Rent Arrears

The most bizarre thing just happened !!!
i had spoken to a guy yesterday and i had told him that the money would be transferred today, i had asked him to buzz me on my phone if at all theres anything.
I had the agents knock at my door at 9:00 am today, i was fast asleep, when i didn't respond, they walked in !! they started yelling and asking if anyone was there ! i was like what the f ! i walked out and i spoke to them ! i told them that the 25% of the arrears has been transferred ! She had the audacity to tell me that if the money doesn't show up today, she'll issue me with a notice to vacate ! i was like get first a fall "get out of my apartment"
this behavior is unjustified !
i really don't care about what you guys think ! this was the most retarded thing i have seen anyone do ! specially cause i had paid like $1750 on time and the rest in under process.
i so wish i could sue them !

i had spoken to a guy yesterday and i had told him that the money would be transferred today, i had asked him to buzz me on my phone if at all theres anything.
I had the agents knock at my door at 9:00 am today, i was fast asleep, when i didn't respond, they walked in !! they started yelling and asking if anyone was there ! i was like what the f ! i walked out and i spoke to them ! i told them that the 25% of the arrears has been transferred ! She had the audacity to tell me that if the money doesn't show up today, she'll issue me with a notice to vacate ! i was like get first a fall "get out of my apartment"
i really don't care about what you guys think ! this was the most retarded thing i have seen anyone do ! specially cause i had paid like $1750 on time and the rest in under process.

I would say that would be a breach by them of the "quiet enjoyment" clause and you have rights to raise a complaint, and take to VCAT etc.

They must give you 24 hours notice before gaining access etc as per the residential tenancies act.

The Y-man

After reading through a bunch of load crap you guys have posted, i have come to understand that some of you'll are either mentally dull or you guys honestly some insecurity issues !
i wasn't running away from anything ! i was like available on the phone all the time, the income had taken a beating as i have done fewer shifts thanks to my exams. it wasn't like i didn't pay a cent ! i reckon most of you guys are blind or just ignorant ! read my first post, i had paid 75% of the rent ! a marginal amount was left ! if the agent and you guys honestly don't have the courtesy or the humanity to understand then i guess you shouldn't invest in property.
Don't judge me if you don't know the whole truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that would be a breach by them of the "quiet enjoyment" clause and you have rights to raise a complaint, and take to VCAT etc.

They must give you 24 hours notice before gaining access etc as per the residential tenancies act.

The Y-man

I really want to, but honestly im not interested ! its annoying, i have been renting all my life but i have never seen someone acting so stupid ! id rather just give them a 28 days notice and leave. there are more than 38 apartments that are vacant in the building all the best to them to find a new guy ready to pay the amount i was,

The Y-man

not just that, it's break and enter (oh since they had a key probably just unlawful entry). i would be contacting the police.

When we were renting, we had a nosey landlord who kept popping by uninvited - even though he was going thru an agent. We complained to the agent and interestingly enough they suggested we should take out an intervention order on him - we didn't go that far but I think his visits stopped after that.

The Y-man

After reading through a bunch of load crap you guys have posted, i have come to understand that some of you'll are either mentally dull or you guys honestly some insecurity issues !
i reckon most of you guys are blind or just ignorant !
Nice bit of abuse, what are you a 5 year old? You certainly act like one.
Do you find abusing people in this manner gets you results in life?

i wasn't running away from anything ! i was like available on the phone all the time, the income had taken a beating as i have done fewer shifts thanks to my exams. it wasn't like i didn't pay a cent !
So what
Its not the point and frankly, your financial problems should not be the LL's problem.

read my first post, i had paid 75% of the rent ! a marginal amount was left

LL's expect their rent ON TIME and IN FULL
Not in dribs and drabs when it suits you to pay

This is all laid out in plain english in the contract that you agreed to and signed

if the agent and you guys honestly don't have the courtesy or the humanity to understand then i guess you shouldn't invest in property.

If you don't have the courtesy or common sense to honour your contractual obligations, then I suppose you should not be renting
Don't judge me if you don't know the whole truth.
Didn't you tell us the truth earlier?:rolleyes:

LL's expect their rent ON TIME and IN FULL
Not in dribs and drabs when it suits you to pay

This is all laid out in plain english in the contract that you agreed to and signed

maybe; but in reality they rarely get it.

contracts are breached all the time, why would you expect a resi contract to be any different?

OK, first you were in the wrong, now they are. Rarely does it happen that two wrongs make a right. You could take them to tribunal, but at the end of the day the only good that will do is annoy them. Then you will definately have the tenancy terminated at the end of the lease. Just get the arrears paid up to date and move on.

In all honesty, you've got a lot of flack here because, as I said in an earlier post, many LLs are living pay cheque to pay cheque in order to pay the shortfall for their properties. If you didn't read it, then do so now. I've reposted it for your benefit.

Many tenants view their LLs are rich because they own an investment property. Well......newsflash........many LLs have only the one investment property and that one investment property costs them a lot of money each and every week. While the rent might be a certain amount each week (lets say $300pw), you will find that for many LLs they are paying another $300pw just to keep a roof over YOUR head. That's right! They are subsidising your cost of living, because without your friendly LL, where would you live?

Now lets look at those costs for a moment shall we? Firstly the LL has to pay their mortgage, usually a whole lot more than the rent they charge you to live there. Then you have insurance, LL insurance to help when their scum-of-the-earth tenant destroys their property (no, I'm not saying YOU are scum-of-the-earth. I'm just saying that there ARE that kind of tenant out there, I've just had one:(), rates, water rates (again, the tenant only gets the water usage, we have to pay the rest) management fees, maintenance etc.

So, a LL is just a regular guy, hoping that one day their investment property will make a difference to their future. In the meantime, they forego a heck of a lot of $$ each and every week that they could use elsewhere to subsidise the lifestyle of their tenant, often going without many things that others take for granted, like a nice dinner, movies, holidays etc.

Now, can you see why some of the LLs get a little testy, shall we say, if the tenant does not fulfill their part of the contract, and pay late, or worse still default?

Essentials should always come first. Rent/Mortgage, food & bills. The rest is discretionary.

It sounds like your LL is hurting financially and is desperate to get things back to a situation that he can live with. Pay up! It's the least you can do.

After reading through a bunch of load crap you guys have posted, I have come to understand that some of you'll are either mentally dull or you guys honestly some insecurity issues !

Hi Jake,

I have no insecurity issues, but you are correct, I am mentally dull. Does it come across from the words I use, or just the tone and inflexion. Either way, I apologise for being mentally dull. Please don't take advantage of me because of it.

I reckon most of you guys are blind or just ignorant !

I hope I'm not ignorant, due to being mentally dull it's hard to tell, but once again, you are correct, I am blind. Does it come across from the words I use, or just the tone and inflexion from this Braille keyboard. Either way, I apologise for being blind. Please don't take advantage of me because of it.

Last edited:
It seems to me that you are cherry picking the people you respond to here. Much like you are cheery picking when you pay rent.

For your sake i hope that the incident you describe did not happen. Its highly unprofessional and quite frankly illegal for a REA to do what happened.

I also agree that you are best to simply pay what you owe (which you say you have) and move on.

I still maintain that this situation (and i am going back to the root cause) is the amount you are paying in rent is out of your means, which is of no consequense to your LL or REA but you and only you.

You also commented that you should just give your 28 days notice and 'good luck finding someone paying as much as i am (paraphrase)'. Unless you are off-contract you will still need to pay for breaking your lease by paying for advertising, other costs ect (someone will tell me if thats right, but i think it is)

As for this forum, you need to be aware that there are alot of tenants out there that shaft the system, and that this is a predominately a LL forum. I know that i am a renter on here and i am mindful of that with comments i make, as i feel that its important that LLs know that there are good tenants out there. Your story, whether intentional or unintentional, sounds like stories heard a million times before.

Back