Neighbour is Stealing Water

If you do decided to use a camera, you could put a sign above the tap saying:

"Smile your on camera." :D Watching his face as he looks around for the camera would be priceless.

A suggestion to have a chat with the neighbor doesn't mean its automatically going to turn into all out warfare. No one said that.

Things get resolved with communication. Not by ignoring him or weird/sneaky deeds. Thats almost stooping to his level. God, society is funny these days and yes Daz, Simon's post was on the money.

Things get resolved with communication.... God, society is funny these days...

Yep, I think you're right. I was just chatting to Mrs Phil about this the other day. Perhaps it's that people are working longer hours, are more stressed etc, but I'm sure it wasn't like this when I was growing up. (I'm only 37 btw)

When did Australians start to be so aggressive to each other? I was driving in traffic in Brissy the other week and it was very congested. I had a "young" bloke behind me in a expensive Holden, cap on, seated just below the steering wheel and he was tail-gating me. Just because I was allowing for 15-20 metres for the vehicle in front of me, he became annoyed and started to vent at me, as if the traffic and his lack of preparations was my fault. Incredible !

Another quick example. We had music played by a noisy neighbour all Saturday afternoons and Sundays which was very loud. After two months of this (I like to think I'm fairly patient), I had enough and went over to ask them if they could turn it down a bit. It turned out that the occupant was a sulky 18 year old woman who took offensive to my request, (but still complied). She said to me " no-one else has complained about it before". I replied that's probably because they are older and more polite than you. Anyway, hopefully the sounds of silence will continue.

I don't know if I am changing as I get a bit older, but this is not the Australia that I want or remember. Looking forward to the country lifestyle.

P.S I hope you sort out the water issue. It might be something simple such as his tap is broken.

Phil :)

I suspect this sort of behaviour will become more common as water becomes more expensive/scarce.

I would simply install the lockable tap, or if it is too easy for him to get around it install some sort of guard cage that is lockable so he can't attach the hose.

Alternatively, you could get a large, mean-looking dog...

I probably wouldn't confront him with it, unless you have undeniable proof that he is the thief. If that is the case, then I would report it to the police and let them handle it. I would be worried that a person who could steal a neighbours water could be likely to escalate their behaviour and make life a misery for you.

The guy has been caught stealing. How can you nicely say to someone else, that they are stealing and you know it without causing some degree of angst. Can accusing someone of stealing possibly be a nice conversation? I think the pleasantry between neighbours issue isnt relevant here; if the guy was pleasant, he wouldnt have stolen the water in the first place.

I'm not sure being pleasant and stealing are mutually exclusive. The thing is having a chat with him is i think is better than putting dog crap, locking the tap, filming him or whatever.

They leave things unresolved. The worse place to be IMO. If he has to live next to the guy, the matter needs to be sorted out.

I suppose it comes down to some of us don't like confrontation (like my wife) and some don't mind it (like me). If i have to choose between confrontation and niggling, unresolved matters. I'll go the former every time.

I actually thougth about this. The bedroom window is right next to it, so I would be able to set it up so he wouldnt see it.

Set a video camera, rocord him stealing water and send the video to ' Funny Videos' on the TV. Lets all hv a laugh and embarrass him at the same time.

Cheers

Call your local council and let him know what he's been doing. I don't know about SA, but in Brisbane if anyone is watering anything it's an instant fine.

Water is council jurisdiction. Or is it state now? I remember hearing an advertisement on the radio with members of the local council complaining the State was taking control of water.

Just put a sign up right near the tap.
"Smile your on a security camera"
Then again if he only steals the water in darkness he wont see it will he?

I think you can get a metal box type of thingy that you can lock over the tap. Councils used to use them.
You will have the key when you want to use the water. You could make up a lockable clamp that would also do the job. Maybe a chain wrapped over it and padlocked tight, so it cant be turned on.
It would be a cheaper option than moving the tap.

I think you should avoid upsetting or making him angry at all costs, cos you never know where it could all end up.
good luck
cheers yadreamin

Why don't you just knock on his door and let him know that someone has been stealing water and would he keep an eye out for you. Explain you are going to be extra vigilant yourself and have called the police.

I imagine that would shame him out of doing it. Would also be better than accusing him if you are indeed wrong.

It is a shame you are not just good mates with your neighbour - society seems to be worse off since we stopped being as friendly with our neighbours.

I still reckon my idea gives him an out and avoids any bad blood.

Invite him over for a BBQ and one day you may laugh about it together,

When did Australians start to be so aggressive to each other?

I don't know if I am changing as I get a bit older, but this is not the Australia that I want or remember. Looking forward to the country lifestyle.

Phil :)

I've noticed the same thing. Australians are definitely an aggressive race when you compare them with others around the world but i'm not sure why that is.

Re the water theft thing, i'd go around there and confront him only because i don't have the time to f*ck around.

Water is council jurisdiction. Or is it state now? I remember hearing an advertisement on the radio with members of the local council complaining the State was taking control of water.

For most of urban Adelaide it is State (SA Water) and in other areas (eg Lower Murray River) it is the Council.

I've noticed the same thing. Australians are definitely an aggressive race when you compare them with others around the world but i'm not sure why that is.

Re the water theft thing, i'd go around there and confront him only because i don't have the time to f*ck around.

Wow - doesn't your second statement answer the question in your first one.

You people surprise me sometimes.

water thief

I like the dog poo and video camera idea however I would combine the two.

I'd place a scattering of dog poo around the vicinity of the tap and video tape the outcome.

When you politely bring the evidence to his attention don't mention the dog poo.

He will always wonder if you set him up and it will bring a smile to your face every time you see him.

I have a large dog and I can happily supply a large bag of dog poo (pick up only) :)

Could you simply buy a lockable tap and put a padlock on it.

This would avoid making him any more antisocial than he already is.

Back