New Asbestos laws in the ACT - impacts on landlords

Aceyducey said:
Anyone owning property in the ACT should look at this...

http://www.asbestos.act.gov.au/

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I've often thought, for a while now, that whenever I would buy a property, I would like to put in a "subject to no asbestos" clause in the contract to buy it. I personally would not like to own a property containing asbestos, as it could be very costly later on down the track...

There are such people who are employed to carry out asbestos inspections, aren't there? (Sounds like a silly question I know — just want to make sure). :eek:

my mother in law just died from asbestos and I have seen first hand the impacts of this. certain corporate directors should be in gaol. after seeing this I would want nothing to do with a product that could cause so much misery and am aware of the litigation that is sure to be more common. without going in to detail re my mother in laws case, the defendant has indeed suffered substantial financial damages.

Well fistly i'd like to say hi, i've been browsing the forums for some time now and thought it was time i started contributing....so hi! :)

Esbestos removal is'nt quite as difficult as some people would like to have you think and its not as costly either (although it is'nt exactly cheap)
although im sure the brochure covers it, you have to have a licenced builder remove the asbestos, it must me wrapped in a minimum 200micron plastic (can be picked up at any hardware store and its cheap) and disposed of at a licenced area (in canberra the Tip is the place to have it dispose of) it is then simply a matter of booking an appointment with the tip, dropping it off and they will take care of the rest (and i beleive there is a $50 fee for this).

Thanks AC2. It should be noted that asbestos can be found in many homes not just those described as "fibro". It should also be noted that if left alone it is quite safe and harmless. It becomes a problem when you start working it, such as sanding, drilling and water pressure cleaning. Just because you have a house with asbestos in it does not mean you have to or should you have it removed. It is only fair and resonable that you tell a prospective buyer, tradesman or tenant that it is present in the home.
I renovated a house built aprrox 1890 and assumed the wallboard was asbestos. After removal, we discovered that it was a form of concrete fibro that did not contain any asbestos. This is unusual though and any fibro should be considered as asbestos until you know for sure.

yeah, the most important thing to remember, is that 75% of homes in the ACT contain asbestos, its not a new scary substance that has just been discovered, it has been present in Canberra homes for many many years. and as it has been explained in the brochure it is only considered a risk when it is damaged or in poor condition.
The only reason its become a concern lately is because the media has beaten it up and out of context, theres no doubt it does pose some risks, but most of what has been said lately is purely a scare campaign courtesy of the media.

Back