New book - Goodbye Welfare

Interviewed on chanel 7 last night!

Her unique story and book can be purchased here.
http://www.seaviewpress.com.au/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=818

Article Source: http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/article/38440/money/welfare-millionaire

From welfare to millionaire

* Reporter: Rebecca Bergh
* Broadcast Date: March 08, 2007

From welfare to millionaire, Tracy Harvey turned her back on Government support and made a fortune of her own, pulling her family back from the brink of poverty.

Tracy was born into a one-parent family and her mother fought to keep her and her children's heads above water.

"My mother was a single mother and she had four children, me being one of them and we struggled for quite a long time on a single parent's pension," Tracy said.

And when Tracy grew up, she found history repeating itself.

A divorced mother-of-two, she was unskilled, unemployed and living on a pension in a high-crime suburb in southern Brisbane.

"At 35 I found myself a single parent, struggling to survive," she explained. "I'd lost virtually all the assets I did have.

"I ended up with a mattress on the floor and not being able to get through from one day to the next, financially.

"I had deteriorated personally because I'd lost so much self-esteem, and I had no focus. I was failing at everything I did."

Geoff Roberts, from Oz Care, said Tracy's situation was all-too-familiar.

"Most children have a role model and generally-speaking it is the parent, either the mother or the father, and that's all they see, that's all they know is the welfare society."

After 20 years looking after those who are down on their luck, Geoff said people are not able to break the cycle often.

"There are a lot of children who are born into the welfare cycle, and so they would find it harder still to break out," he said.

But Tracy did just that, turning her life around. She said taking the first step was the hardest.

"I woke up one day, and I realised I'd been carrying a huge chip on my shoulder, I'd been blaming everybody, everything: society, the people around me, my family.

"In essence I knew the only person who was going to turn this around was me."

She read everything she could about investing and real estate, and after being rejected over and over again by the big-name banks, finally got a loan for her first property.

"The first place I bought was a very rundown place, it had holes in it, it was totally dilapidated, and it had been on the market for two years.

"I scored that unit for $64,000, in Mooloolaba and I guess that was where it all started," she said.

Tracy went on to put herself through TAFE and university, graduating as a social worker.

And from that one tattered unit, her property empire has expanded: she now owns 10 properties with six in Cairns, two on the Sunshine Coast and two in Brisbane.

"I bought four properties on a $30,000 income so it can be done," she said.

Now she wants to help others break out of the welfare cycle. She has written her own story as a "How To" guide.

Goodbye Welfare teaches others how to go from government handouts to financial independence, just like she did.

Geoff said Tracy's story is a valuable lesson for others.

"I think knowing what she went through in her teens or younger, and then to achieve what she's achieved it is very good, it is remarkable.

"And it shows it can be done, with a lot of drive," he added.

Tracy said the first step should be finding inspiration to make changes.

"It is not hard to find a reason - just look around you - whether it is a partner or a child, that reason is the inspiration to make sure you do the right thing.

"You are a mentor to that person and you can be the one that leads them," she said.

she now owns 10 properties with six in Cairns, two on the Sunshine Coast and two in Brisbane.

"I bought four properties on a $30,000 income so it can be done," she said.

Gday Jaffa,

I saw the story the other night on TT and the question that immediately springs to mind is does she actually own 10 properties as stated?
My definition of "owning" is having the title in my hot little hand.

My next question would be, if so how, does a person pay off so many properties on such a modest wage? What's the secret?

Good luck to her either way, good news stories that may provide inspiration for others are always welcome but I'd just be interested in a clarification of her claim.

Cheers,
Beef.

I have control (not paid off) of $800K property.
Only for 2 years have I ever made $40k at work (that was working overtime for 12 months straight 32 hrs on weekend plus my reg 40 hr job.
Regular pay is $29k.

So yes, it can be done on a small wage.

Don't give them your PIN #

G'day all,

A few words of advice - I ordered the book mentioned. It is always good to have first-hand knowledge of how "down-and-outers" can pull themselves up by their bootstraps. So a few dollars to reward this intrepid Mum is well-spent.

BUT, in the "shop", they asked for the 3 digits on the BACK of my credit card. As I understand, this is "the PIN #" for the card - and they don't need it. So, I included everything else, but left that bit out.

Don't give it to ANYONE if you don't need it (and I've had VERY FEW requests for it in the past). This little # has been the source of many scams, so the less "out there" that know it, the better.

Silly me, I didn't check whether this was a * field (i.e. one that must be completed). Probably not - otherwise my order would've bounced. But, WHY include it if it is not required? My order has gone through, so obviously they really DON'T need it, so keep it to yourself.

Regards,

I ordered the book today to, I hope it's not more about the down and out times and more about the strategies and finance she used weather that was JV's etc. It seems a small book but I'm sure I will learn something I always do with a new book and its only $20. I'm interested in the life story part to as well.

I do feel it's probably pre boom she started! Will know more when the book arrives I guess.

Didn't know about the 3 digit card code scams I just purchased online two days ago with it asking for that and i gave it, I've purchased few times before over the years though with no trouble.

I had $2,000 stolen with Internet fraud one day, Westpac reimbursed the money within few days which was good.

in the "shop", they asked for the 3 digits on the BACK of my credit card. As I understand, this is "the PIN #" for the card - and they don't need it.
It's quite common for you to be asked for this. Even in low budget websites like Google (when buying advertising).

I regard it as something which gives you a little more protection- when you trust the website. Credit card numbers can be very easy to come by. The 3 digits on the back may not be.

In fact. my card is so secure- and so well used- that I cannot even read those numbers.

Some future possible developments for credit cards when buying live (they have been trialled in Australia):

1. Using a PIN for credit transactions, not just direct debit
2. Having a wireless "remote" card, which can be sensed without even swiping- and allowed for transactions less than $30 without any other authorisation. (defaults can be reimbursed for less cost than policing in the present system- especially if, as suggested by a well known media finacial commentator, 30% of people with a debit card have the PIN in their wallet).

G'day all,

A few words of advice - I ordered the book mentioned. It is always good to have first-hand knowledge of how "down-and-outers" can pull themselves up by their bootstraps. So a few dollars to reward this intrepid Mum is well-spent.

BUT, in the "shop", they asked for the 3 digits on the BACK of my credit card. As I understand, this is "the PIN #" for the card - and they don't need it. So, I included everything else, but left that bit out.

Don't give it to ANYONE if you don't need it (and I've had VERY FEW requests for it in the past). This little # has been the source of many scams, so the less "out there" that know it, the better.

Silly me, I didn't check whether this was a * field (i.e. one that must be completed). Probably not - otherwise my order would've bounced. But, WHY include it if it is not required? My order has gone through, so obviously they really DON'T need it, so keep it to yourself.

Regards,

Hi Les,

I know this is off topic from the thread, but Optus always requires me to provide those 3 #'s when I pay my bill via credit card. Should I be wary of this? I have been doing this for a number of years and no trouble yet??

Regards Jason.

Hi Les,

I know this is off topic from the thread, but Optus always requires me to provide those 3 #'s when I pay my bill via credit card. Should I be wary of this? I have been doing this for a number of years and no trouble yet??

Regards Jason.

I would not be worried about giving it to large trustworthy company or business. Be a bit wary of giving it to smaller, less trusted websites (but most would be ok). Keep in mind everytime you hand the card to someone in a physical store when using it, they can see the number when they check the back of your card for the signature. You are more at risk using the card in everday street situations than online. And if it is a VISA, you have fraudulent use protection anyway (I imagine Mastercard/AMEX/etc would have similar protection), so if you see a charge that isn't yours, you can dispute it with your FI and have them chase it up for you.

I saw the story the other night on TT and the question that immediately springs to mind is does she actually own 10 properties as stated?
My definition of "owning" is having the title in my hot little hand.

My next question would be, if so how, does a person pay off so many properties on such a modest wage? What's the secret?

Beef, I think this comes down to ones individual wealth mindset.

The truly wealthy individuals dont own things out right. Why would you want to.

There is NO financial advantage to do so. The truly wealthy individual just controls assets while they get others to pay the asset holding expenses along the way.

IMHO investing in property is exactly the same. Why would an investor ever want to own an IP outright? There is no Financial advantage to.

To do so one would be decreasing ones cashflow to repay any of the principle off and every dollar of that principle has to be paid from an investors "After Tax" income.

Owning a property outright does not make the property worth any more in value. All its done is cost "you" more to hold!

Thats money that you could have used to leverage further and service more income producing assets, thus increasing your investment asset base and net worth.

Like the truly wealthy individuals smart investors control their assets while the tenants and tax department cover the holding expenses along the way.

Wealth is 80% Mindset & 20% Strategy!

Hope this provides some food for thought.

Last edited:
Beef, I think this comes down to ones individual wealth mindset.
The truly wealthy individuals dont own things out right. Why would you want to. ..........
IMHO investing in property is exactly the same. Why would an investor ever want to own an IP outright? There is no Financial advantage to.

Hi Rick,
Yes thanks for that, def. food for thought. I guess like you say it is all about mindset.

While I can understand the advantages of leverage, ie a 20k deposit on a property that rises by 100k in a year provides you with a profit of 400% (apologies if my maths are a bit out, but "a lot" anyway) but my mindset or understanding tells me it only works in a rising market and, as people in NSW and VIC know already, markets don't always rise.

I can't imagine a property you'd buy with a 20k deposit falling by 100k in a single year, but given the same scenario as above in reverse, doesn't it also work against you and leverage you into further debt at the same spectacular rate? That is you have lost 5 times your initial amount.

On your point of no advantage owning property outright, perhaps neg. gearing and depreciation helps offset to some degree, but not paying the banks interest is surely a financial advantage that can't be denied. Esp. if you are highly geared. If you are paying 7-8% interest on the majority of the value, the 3-5% the property is yielding is being eaten up by the bank. Leverage aside, a rising market also gives CG but that also goes to the outright owner.

Most of all, I have trouble equating huge debt with huge wealth. While once again yes, I understand that leverage can build wealth fast, no matter what perspective I apply, I just can't see how money owed can be counted as wealth, that one is just too far away from my mindset. To me, one is risky for the uninitiated and easy to accumulate overnight by just about anyone, the other takes years of work, saving and careful planning for most people to achieve legally.

In a rising market I can see the def. advantages of all your points, however I am very conservative I guess and more than a little spooked by the Perth market at the moment so these cautious, some may well say negative, thoughts are keeping my hands in my pockets (and money in the bank) at the moment until market directions become a little clearer.

While I'm all for people pulling themselves out of dependancy and hopefully this book will inspire many to do so, I just feel a little uneasy at this stage of the cycle when people of limited means are being encouraged to jump into large debt at the prompting of 3 minute TV features. I know a few people on low incomes who were badly burnt in the late 80's with govt. supported "Homestart" loans where it took many years to re-equate the debt with the equity. From memory of the media reports, many gave up and lived on with the debt, but not the property.

A bit more food for the thinking processes I hope. :)
Cheers,
Beef.

Hi

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I love to hear stories of people who have dragged themselves out of a mess and made a success of their lives.

However, it also reminds me of a quote from a book writeen in the late 1700's:

“….you must realise the consequences of charity; it accustoms the poor to the receiving of gifts, and thus it encourages the depletion of their energy. When a man knows he will be given handouts, he does not work; then, when the money stops flowing, not knowing how to earn some more, he becomes a beggar or a thief.

The best way to rid France of its poor would be to halt the distribution of alms and to shut down the poorhouses. Then the indigent, born in misfortune, would have to fend for himself; he would have to summon his own inner resources in order to escape the condition in which he started life; the result would be a nation composed entirely of self-sufficient men."

Maybe the author had a point.

Dale

Back