New car, which one Prius or Golf

My salary sacrificed lease car finishes in December so I need to choose which will be my next car. Just wanting anyone experiences or thoughts on the above two cars. I have test driven both today, the Prius i -tech and the Golf GTI. I think I am leaning more towards the Prius, guess becaue it has more bells and whistles that appeal to my girl tastes, but I know that Volkswagon are a very good car by all accounts.

I currently drive a Corrolla Conquest Sedan, the Golf feels so much smaller but I know it is minimal reduction in size.

So any thoughts on any level would be appreciated, thanks.

Depends what you want out of it really.

What's the difference in price?

Obviously the prius is going to be cheaper to run and more economical. From what you say it has more features as well.
But the golf from all accounts is a lot of fun to drive :)

The hybrid Camry is good value, roomy, and you don't look like a pretentious nob.

Around town you should get 6.2 [there abouts] l/100k [without air-con] which I imagine the Golf would match, but the Camry is bigger and IT IS NOT a VW.

The Camry has fixed price services and the outrageous "log book servicing" put me off new cars before. I'm happy with mine so far. Would suit a tech-head who isn't a rev-head. I love the technology, it's brilliant!

You could always buy Fred Flintstone's car. It may be a bit faster then a Prius.
Showing your ignorance there Locko. Only rev-heads outdrag me from the lights and I can overtake road-trains on single carriage roads. Gets a bit fussy, I'll admit, nothing like a V6. :D

Haven't you ever been beside a Prius taxi at the lights? They can move.

Are you saying this is a good or bad thing?

Think about how I wrote it.

I've been around more mango seasons than you guys and it is etched in my brain: "Poverty is owning a European car." I'm sure they have improved, but so has everything else.

For "buy and forget" motoring it's Honda, Toyota, Hyundai.

Which raises the alternative of the i20 or i30. Ask your mechanic about them, I have and always had favourable responses.

I am not sure about the price difference, the Golf salesman was one of those young pushy kids, who kept telling me the current price on special and could not tell me the normal price, I ended up walking out on him as he could not even give me a brochure. He wanted me to sign right there and then. The golf did have guts when you floored it in sports mode.

But then so did the Pirus that had lots of guts when you floored it too, eco mode was a bit lame, but hay my normal driving mode might be a bit lame according to the teenagers. So for the rare times I floor the car, the difference in power between the two is not really an issue.

I did drive a Camry awhile back, lovely car to drive but I do not want to go that big.

What's wrong with being a pretentious snob or wannabe hollywood startlet, is this the image you portray if you own a Prius?

I know the Hyundai have come along in leaps and bounds but I would not even consider buying one.

I've been around more mango seasons than you guys and it is etched in my brain: "Poverty is owning a European car." I'm sure they have improved, but so has everything else.

Interesting. Most people of my generation would think the opposite.

The Golf, in particular, the GTi has been known as the leader in hot-hatches since it was released in the 70s.

I just see the Prius as a green status symbol.
What's the point? I'm sure the diesel Golf is a lot more fuel efficient than a Prius, and with all the batteries in a Prius, a lot more 'green' to build!

Hmmm like comparing Apples and Oranges. Having driven both myself I can't imagine ever buying a Prius especially if the other option is a Golf GTI.

The one thing going against the golf however is that the current mark 6 model is being replaced in March 2013 with the new mark 7, so if you do go for the Golf maybe wait a little longer, although the wait will be huge so would recommend pre ordering if new.

Funny that you are considering these as alternatives, two very diffeent cars.

I have had a mkv golf gti for four years now since new. Nothing but praise. Will prob get a mkvii when they come out.

Would rther walk than drive a prius. Silly gimicks.

I just see the Prius as a green status symbol.
What's the point? I'm sure the diesel Golf is a lot more fuel efficient than a Prius, and with all the batteries in a Prius, a lot more 'green' to build!

So true!! Wanky cars for greens local shire councillors to get around in because they are usually too unfit to cycle. :D:D:D

Needing a car for just me I bought my Prius C five weeks ago and have put 5000km on it since then - on brim-to-brim fills it delivers a consistent 5.0l/100km. More importantly to me it's a beautifully smooth and relaxed car to drive - which is a huge plus if that's what you're after, accepting that others want a car that calls for more driver interaction. Lots of kit but I don't use the built-in GPS - I prefer my TomTom (might just be because I know it). I'm now great negotiator but got the dealer to throw in optional front parking sensors. The only thing I'd like, which is available on the larger Prius, is radar cruise control.

I briefly considered a Skoda Fabia wagon (had two Skodas in UK) but was put off by the reported servicing costs and bad reports re the VW DSG auto box - very expensive fluid changes, cripplingly expensive failures just after the warranty period and jerky when moving off. Latter was a reason for discounting the Focus (which has a DSG auto) too. Looking at the review of the new Corolla on the Age website today, if I were buying now this would probably be on my shortlist. Yes, I've reached a stage in life that I couldn't comprehend 40 years ago - I want a car that just works ... 7/24/365.

One of the things many people don't get is that electric motors have maximum torque effectively at zero speed (the torque decreases as the speed increases).

One of the reasons why the the hybrids are quite rapid off the line, but then ease off just as the internal combustion machines are getting up to pace.

A guy at work has just picked up a Leaf - reckons the take off at the lights is just plain amazing.

The Y-man

I have used 2 l Mitsi vans for work for 20 years. They drink almost twice the fuel my 2.4 l Camry does.

Technology is your friend.

Beware of preconceptions:

Originally Posted by Deena
I know the Hyundai have come along in leaps and bounds but I would not even consider buying one.

They match the other two marques I mentioned in every published comparison here or in the US.

Beware of preconceptions:

They match the other two marques I mentioned in every published comparison here or in the US.

Id have to agree, Hyundai and its now sister Kia are pretty well sorted vehicles these days in their market segment.

While the design and safety factors of newer model Euro cars like Golf are often one design cycle ahead of similar japanese or Korean product, that gap is closing.

ta
rolf

I have a friend who recently sold her Golf as it was costing too much to service and maintain and bought an Hyundai i30 - she loves it. Said it is so much better than the Golf.

Back