New car, which one Prius or Golf

Thanks everyone for your comments so far.

Buying a new car is so confusing. I had orginally gone in to Toyota to see when the new Corrolla model would be available. Gee's new car salesman's are jerks, with apologys to anyone here who may be one. They were telling me they could give me not a bit of info about the new models, so thanks for that link and review that you posted Tony. The young kid at Toyota told me the Prius I drove was as it was, looking at the Toyota website it appears that things he told me were standard were actually accessories.

I think it might come down to numbers, I might submit a quote for the Prius, new Corrolla, and the Golf GTI and see what the figures come back at.

I think if I look at any more cars, it will confuse me more, but having said that, might venture out my next days off and drive a few more.

Gee's new car salesman's are jerks, with apologys to anyone here who may be one. They were telling me they could give me not a bit of info about the new models, so thanks for that link and review that you posted Tony. The young kid at Toyota told me the Prius I drove was as it was, looking at the Toyota website it appears that things he told me were standard were actually accessories.

I dealt with a couple of nice guys but was a little underwhelmed by their product knowledge. They didn't seem to know about the (then) forthcoming new Corolla - though that might be because they needed to move existing stock so it was feigned ignorance - and I think that I - having done my research - knew more than them as to which options were standard on which model. But I was impressed, at 3.00p.m., to be given the keys to go off on a test drive on my own with "we shut at 6.00; bring it back before then". Good psychology, because after 30 minutes driving it on my own it began to become 'mine'.

Showing your ignorance there Locko. Only rev-heads outdrag me from the lights and I can overtake road-trains on single carriage roads. Gets a bit fussy, I'll admit, nothing like a V6. :D

Haven't you ever been beside a Prius taxi at the lights? They can move.

Yes, compare a internal combustion engine torque curve to an electric motor one. The motor has full torque at zero revs, the combustion engine has zero.

Buying a new car is so confusing.
I can't remember ever taking it too seriously. I usually keep cars for many years [why I only buy cars I "like"]. I occasionally have a look at interesting cars and read the motoring supplements, but in the end any decision to buy is made in half an hour.

A good deal on a good car gets me and I respect that deal by not shopping it around. If you wanted a Honda but bought a Holden because, on the face of it, it was a better deal, you'll trade the Holden after a couple of years if you keep looking at the Honda you SHOULD have bought and sigh a little. [Choose your own examples, these are just my thoughts]

Never ignore the emotion. Let it work for you, not against you. If you just think of the money and the specifications, you might end up with a Ford Tauris. :YUK:

And if you are not convinced, have another look in a few months. After all, you still like that car you bought six years ago, don't you?

if I were to go Japanese I'd want to stick to the likes of mazda and suzuki that actually manufacture in Japan. Just cross your fingers yuo aren't hopping into a nuclear tin chamber!

if I were to go Japanese I'd want to stick to the likes of mazda and suzuki that actually manufacture in Japan.

Hate to disappoint you but at least one model of Suzuki sold here is built in India (long history of Indian made suzuki's here)

The Y-man

Hate to disappoint you but at least one model of Suzuki sold here is built in India (long history of Indian made suzuki's here)

The Y-man

can't say I am disappointed - never had the inclination to buy one, so haven't researched it but prima facie it would put me off

The other thing to note about the table is that depreciation and interest costs usually work out at around 60% of the annual cost of ownership. Just to highlight where most of the overall savings can be made. So many people focus on buying a car with low running costs / fuel consumption and miss what is by far the biggest saving (unless you're doing taxi miles...) - buying a car which has already experienced the majority of its depreciation.

To the OP - the Golf GTi is effectively a sports car. IMO you would only buy it if you were a car afficionado who just loves the finer points of handling and cornering. Such a person usually knows cars inside out and back to front. Clearly you are not in this category so why not just a normal Golf (if you like VWs...)? You get a cheaper car, more comfortable suspension, better economy etc etc etc - ie a more suitable car for your needs. If you want to be green by a turbo diesel Golf model. I prefer that solution to hybrids - fuel economy is pretty much the same but you don't need to haul around a lot of batteries and a bigger car.

By the way, the Prius is not really a small car - it's between a Golf and Camry in size. So it's not a fair comparison for either car. In the Toyota range, there's a reason the Corolla is one of Australia's best selling small cars. It just works...

More interesting comments and thoughts, thanks everyone.

I did test drive a Mazda 3, nice, but just did not sync with me.

I think the Golf is now off my radar, I think it is going to be between the Prius, if the figures work out, this is my first choice. If not will be going for a new model Corolla which are due out next month they tell me.

I have had two Corolla's and they are a great car.

I just see the Prius as a green status symbol.

What's the point? I'm sure the diesel Golf is a lot more fuel efficient than a Prius, and with all the batteries in a Prius, a lot more 'green' to build!
"green" cars make me laugh...

Every aspect of production of any car involves polluting the planet to some degree.

If you're a greenie and you want to seriously protest; WALK.

Even pushbikes are not green, but they're closer than anything else.

End of whinge about w@nger greenies and back to topic; Golfs are really cool..

Personally; I'd be getting a Mazda 323 or a Honda Civic if you are looking in that smaller class.

Don't discount the Hyundais either for value for money.

Last edited:
"green" cars make me laugh...

Ever aspect of production of any car involves polluting the planet to some degree.

If you're a greenie and you want to seriously protest; WALK.

Even pushbikes are not green, but they're closer than anything else.
You've got me worried now. I never knew I was a greenie but I must be, I own a hybrid.

Back