New Electric Hot Water Installation Costs/I Just Saved myself $1600

The old hot water unit in a rental has recently broke down and needed replacing.
The plumber put an old temporary unit in as he advised me that I now have to convert it to a gas system which is going to cost $2500 after all connections and excavations to get to the gas supply. I think there is some rebate but don't no the details

I rang the Queensland Government to clarify this and they said we can give you an exemption number so you can install a new electric system.
A quote from my PM came in at $1400 for a 125 litre electric system. I think this seems like a reasonable quote.
I just saved myself $1600 from a simple 5 minute phone call!

Mate

A 125 lt electric system for $1400 is an absolute rip off.

I suggest that you phone around and get some independent quotes.

Cheers

Could have save more if you bought a secound hand one off ebay.
Heap of people going solar so selling a good used one maybe 3-4 year old for under $100.
Replaced one 6 months ago for $80.

Could have save more if you bought a secound hand one off ebay.
Heap of people going solar so selling a good used one maybe 3-4 year old for under $100.
Replaced one 6 months ago for $80.

Snap
Did exactly the same thing a few months back for the same unit, less than 2 years old. Local plumbing supply shop cut me a new bit of copper, did the install myself in less than an hour. (not that I recommend people with no idea do it themselves)

Snap
Did exactly the same thing a few months back for the same unit, less than 2 years old. Local plumbing supply shop cut me a new bit of copper, did the install myself in less than an hour. (not that I recommend people with no idea do it themselves)

Had a look at a few on ebay, one was a 315 litre and was to tall to fit under the house and the other was an internal unit. I could do the install myself but do you require a plumber and electrician with a licence?

I could do the install myself but do you require a plumber and electrician with a licence?
So the law says, but have you never broken any law?;)

Rest assured, replacing same with same was about as technical as plugging in a powerlead.
This was for me, not a rental.

Well I rang a few more plumbers and got a better quote. They were very helpful.
So I picked up a new 125 litre unit from bunnings for $620 and dropped it off at the IP. It has a 7 year warranty. I probably could have got one cheaper on ebay but would have no warranty plus a bit time poor as heading O/S tomorrow morning for a holiday.

The plumber said approx an hour labour and he is licenced to do the electrical work as its hardwired. So maybe $150-200

Thanks for your input everyone. You have saved me approx 500 bucks
Cheers :)

Back