New game

Was driving past a speed camera over the w/end - always in the same place in our neighborhood, and there every other day.

Usually a Conformadore wagon; dark blue, tinted windows...

On a very wide road, no homes near the roadside, almost non-existent pedestrians, dead straight for about 2km's, and of course.....60km/h.

For any motorist, it would be extremely easy to wander along there at around 68 or 70km/h, and not even notice it.

Hence; the reason why the bloody thing is always there. They must rake it in.

Now, I would love to buy a semi-trailer, and go around smashing these parasitical scum off the road and simply wander off into the sunset, but I don't like going to prison when I've done society a favour; it's unfair.

So, I thought of a new game this day. It just popped into my sick head.

You gets yerself a rego plate from somewhere, whack 'er on the back of the car, and simply wander past the offending scum-mobile at about 70km/h.

Guaranteed to flick the shutter, and then you go around the block/do a yooee and go past again (at the speed limit), then do a yooee, and go past at 70km/h again.

I reckon this would be a hilarious way to fill in an hour or so on a rainy day...I reckon it would be funny for about oh; I dunno - 50 passes?

An amusing story (urban legend?) did the rounds a few years ago here in Canberra when the new speed vans were launched. Apparently a couple of young blokes wandered up while the guy was setting up the van and had a friendly chat about how it all worked. 15 minutes later, the caught a car going through the speed trap. A few minutes later the same car went through again. And again. And again.

Turns out that while the young lads were having a chat to the operator another young lad was removing the number plate from the other end of the speed van.

The speeding car was checked through the automated system and the owner of the speed van (the ACT government) scored a bunch of fines!

Guaranteed to flick the shutter, and then you go around the block/do a yooee and go past again (at the speed limit), then do a yooee, and go past at 70km/h again.
I reckon this would be a hilarious way to fill in an hour or so on a rainy day...I reckon it would be funny for about oh; I dunno - 50 passes?

Sergeant Ritchie will find you, because he is an experienced willy.:)

Speed limits are in place for a reason. Sorry to say but your attitude stinks on this one. For all of those motorist who easily wander along there at around 68 or 70km/h that you refer too should be doing the correct speed limit to begin with. So what if they rake it in, if it mean's it will make people more aware of speeding and its consequences then good! Why don't you go and attend an traffic offenders program and witness what some individuals have lost as an result from speeding, then you might have a different attitude.

Well i don't speed, ever and it doesn't even matter how much of an safe driver you are or you think you are it only takes a split second for something to happen. That split second could have resulted from another motorist actions. So why put yourself at a higher risk by speeding. It stupidity.

Nikolina - would you consider yourself safe when driving at the speed limit or below? What about above the speed limit?

What a silly question.. I know I'm a bloody excellent driver ever speed I'm going, or if I've had a bloody drink or not..I know what I'm doing, I'm not stupid ya know.

I'm **** hot I am......

Now multiply that by pretty much the number of drivers on the road

Our street adjoins a long very narrow road that widens significantly at the last 200m or so at the end where it becomes a T-Junction, that's 40km.

So guess where the speed camera parks? The narrow unsafe end where visibility is poor and cars can't easily pass each other for lack of space (and most drivers instinctively know to slow down, but some don't), or the wide safe end with good visibility and very low risk for an accident, where drivers tend to creep?

I don't mind if they put them in the most dangerous or blackspot locations, but I must admit I get pretty peeved off with the blatant revenue raising in these sorts of places.

Revenue raising? Listen to yourself, You are basically justifying speeding. What a joke. i don't give a hoot where the camera's are! You should be abiding by the speed limits, no one is above the law but clearly majority of society seem to think they are! Wonder if you would be saying the same thing if you had a loved one killed by another motorist doing 10km/h or even 5km/h over the speed limit in the area which you are referring too.

Revenue raising? Listen to yourself, You are basically justifying speeding. What a joke. i don't give a hoot where camera's end of the day abide by the speed limits, no one is above the law but clearly majority of society seem to think they are!

Nikolina answer these questions.

Where would you put the speed camera, and why?

Why do you think they put the camera where they did, and why?

I would put the speed camera in the dangerous narrow stretch, which would raise much less revenue but would be more likely to prevent a nasty accident?

Yep....agree.

I have seen the police some dumb things...where they put a RBT unit around a bend.

Figure that one out....cars come speeding around the bend...and they have to slam on the breaks!!

As for revenue camera....much better to put mobile patrols rather than stupid cameras which are simply for revenue raising. I pay enough taxes already!

I would put the speed camera in the dangerous narrow stretch, which would raise much less revenue but would be more likely to prevent a nasty accident?

Yep....agree.

I have seen the police some dumb things...where they put a RBT unit around a bend.

Figure that one out....cars come speeding around the bend...and they have to slam on the brakes!!

As for revenue camera....much better to put mobile patrols rather than stupid cameras which are simply for revenue raising. I pay enough taxes already!

Weg,

Im not going to waste my time arguing with you. All i will say is having a licence is not a right, it is a privilege.

Nika.

Well, you shouldn't comment if you're not prepared to get a response back... in this case a Q allowing you to clarify your strong view.

Is this simple Q too difficult/offensive to answer?

Don't they try to make them inconspicous as well, so sometimes you don't see them... I hear that a lot.

In that case, how would they prevent accidents wherever they might be placed ? If so many dont see them till after they've passed them :confused:

Well i don't speed, ever and it doesn't even matter how much of an safe driver you are or you think you are it only takes a split second for something to happen. That split second could have resulted from another motorist actions. So why put yourself at a higher risk by speeding. It stupidity.

Sorry but that is such a narrow minded comment and is part of the reason we have roads full of crap drivers. There are as many people trawling around on our roads under the speed limit who wouldn't have a clue what to do if something happened out of the blue. Instead of trying to raise revenue with speed cameras we need to be training people how to drive rather than handing licences out in Cornflake packets. People who can't keep a car in their lane, do not know what is going on around them, texting, eating, talking, etc. etc. Half of them can't even speak English so I don't know how they get licenses in the first place.

And before you make a holier than thou comment I have completed a number of advanced driver training courses and completed rallies, and I KNOW I am a better driver than 90% of morons on the road (and I am almost 40 not a 20 something...)

What bugs me is that we've had the message 'speeding is bad' rammed down our throats and this has led to many people believing that they are safe if they don't speed. Which is bollocks.

On ABC radio this evening there was a brief discussion which centred around the fact that police only report fatigue as being a factor in accidents if the driver admits to faling asleep at the wheel. Unbelievable.

Let's be very clear - I don't endorse speeding on public roads. But there is an awful lot more to the story, and it irritates me when such focus is put on a single area at the expense of the (many) other risk factors.

Sorry but that is such a narrow minded comment and is part of the reason we have roads full of crap drivers. There are as many people trawling around on our roads under the speed limit who wouldn't have a clue what to do if something happened out of the blue. Instead of trying to raise revenue with speed cameras we need to be training people how to drive rather than handing licences out in Cornflake packets. People who can't keep a car in their lane, do not know what is going on around them, texting, eating, talking, etc. etc. Half of them can't even speak English so I don't know how they get licenses in the first place.

And before you make a holier than thou comment I have completed a number of advanced driver training courses and completed rallies, and I KNOW I am a better driver than 90% of morons on the road (and I am almost 40 not a 20 something...)

And what do you really believe the chances of anything such as that happening actually are ?

Back